The Verge Ridiculed for "How We Built a $2000 Custom Gaming PC" Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been saying the same thing for decades now. Its, what, 6 - 8 parts and 20 odd screws. Its no big deal, get to it. I have built all mine since the Pentium came out. The last three in the same 24" tower. It was beige and I painted it red. ;)

It's still up since The Verge likes clickbait and it's sponsored by Capital One. They couldn't care less if some newbie builds a PC the wrong way.

No such thing as bad PR in the post-truth era. Imagine they are already planning a number of follow-up how-not-to videos on case air flow and overclocking. Plus a few specials on optimizing your build for Windows NT.

i think [H] should do a build video and challenge other sites to do one as well the one with the most views wins the internets!

seriously Kyle and crew need to spoof this video.
Y'all want us to do a full build? How about a live stream build? Maybe we do a Threadripper? Something you guys would watch?

Meh, someone else can always do it better. Anything that gets people out there an involved in the hobby without doing something outright dangerous is a good thing in my opinion.

9/10ths of the computer building hobby is just getting off your ass and doing it, the other 10% are just style points.

He was not making small mistakes. He wasen't even making rookie mistakes. Missing 3/4 of your screws for the CPU cooler is absurd.

I disagree with the comment about CPU coolers included paste is not enough, but arguing about "how" to apply thermal paste is really, really, really, really, stupid. Really. It virtually makes no difference as long as you have enough, and no one can seem to agree on the right way to do it, therefore, there is no right way.

Regarding the memory stuff, I guess if he should have re-recorded the first clip knowing the stick was backwards. But I've done that before too and quickly realized what happened. Though 'I' would have re-recorded it, maybe he didn't think it was necessary.

I can only take so much cringe, so I've not watched the video, but even if it is bad, it might hit an audience that wouldn't typically see more appropriate videos on the subject. More people being interested in building PCs isn't bad. If the problem is that The Verge's video had some inaccuracies or bad practices, perhaps they should have humbled themselves and invited more technical YouTube personalities to work with them on this video.

Maybe it's just me, but I install the CPU and RAM before I install the motherboard in the case.
View attachment 104172
I do the HSF and use the mobo tray these days, but have an ancient double sided case, but especially will mount stock ones for other builds if it's a tight case.
DSC00257.jpg

I love how people who know less than most of us (and I know just enough to be dangerous), think it's a great idea to make a youtube video as 'experts'. Where have I seen that before...

I wonder where the over application of thermal paste technique is coming from.

i have talked to 2 people in the last year one resulted in a service call, in regards to thermal paste.

the one guy was rebuilding a refurb and was confused about the thermal paste on the new oem heatsink and was pretty sure he was supposed to leave that alone and apply more to the cpu. Ala this video.
and he had a hard time under standing that you clean that paste off before applying the third party to the cpu . however he did accept that he could just use the heatsink as is and leave the paste alone and all will be fine. whew. disaster averted.

the other guy not so much. answering some q's from a guy about replacing his failing cpu cooler, we came up on the discussion of thermal paste and i told him to clean the top of the cpu thoroughy and reapply a small bead of rice sized paste to the center and then attach his new cooler. a few hours later i get a call that the machine is not booting so i go out to look at it.

looking at the motherboard i could see he had applied waaaay to much thermal paste. it was leaking out from between the cooler and the cpu. so i took off the cooler and it looked like he used half the tube of paste on the proc'. what was even worse is that when i removed the cpu to clean it up he had some how manged to get paste on the pins and into the socket !! it honestly looked like he had went to war with the paste, and lost. and to top it all off after it was cleaned up and ready to be put back together he questioned me on how little paste i applied to the cpu and was like 'that sure dont look like enough' . I thought to myself well yeah especially in light of how much you used...

so somewhere out there in the vast wasteland of bad info, incorrect application of thermal paste is being spread. even in the light of an article from several years ago that tested the various methods. and in recent time a video that also tested the methods.

whats even more sad is that the guy in this video was given a thermal paste applicator and he didnt even use it !! oh wait he did he used it to tap the cpu in place into the cpu installer doohickey...

I do the HSF and use the mobo tray these days, but have an ancient double sided case, but especially will mount stock ones for other builds if it's a tight case.
View attachment 104234

I love how people who know less than most of us (and I know just enough to be dangerous), think it's a great idea to make a youtube video as 'experts'. Where have I seen that before...

Ya, I'll do Air coolers as well. When I do the AIO's, I usually mount them after the board is installed and then put the pump on the CPU.
IMG_0827.JPG IMG_1695.JPG

Yeah that is usually a hard drive or fan problem.

that or you left your flavor fave necklace in there.

Well, why would it come packaged that way if you weren't supposed to? I mean look at a package of Oreos....you eat those all at once.

exactly, if you don't eat them all in one setting they get stale a few hours after opening. Same as thermal paste, if you don't use it all the first time it dries up.

Did anyone notice comment he made when screwing the radiator? It sounds like he was using the long screws for mounting it at the top. He is probably lucky it did leak all over the place.

that or you left your flavor fave necklace in there.

exactly, if you don't eat them all in one setting they get stale a few hours after opening. Same as thermal paste, if you don't use it all the first time it dries up.

He, Tone Loc, and I were up on stage whist Vanilla Ice sang Ice Ice Baby at the Hard Rock in Vegas last year.

ABUyye.jpg

Man some good laughs reading this thread, so much wrongness.

Something I noticed was how he said it didn't matter what slot to put the graphics card in......yeah, like there aren't different PCIe speeds.

My favorite HS compound story involves a Mech E using CA glue as thermal compound.

He was the first person I ever saw delid a soldered processor, using only a screwdriver. :)

The solder is apparently weaker than a full coverage of CA glue.

He was really pissed when I took a syringe of acetone and got my heatsink back, lol.

That was a socket 1366 Xeon...

The same guy wanted to run liquid gallium as coolant; the assembly had aluminum parts. :)

I almost let him.

Put it on the pads so as to not short circuit the psu. Brilliant. Even my first build, I was not this idiotic. I haf enough sense to utalize the correct ram slots and install the cpu first.

My favourite part was when he said that the PSU needs to be on the rubber pads so it doesn't "short circuit and come into contact with the rest of the system." Genius. Don't even get me started on the thermal paste, jungle of cables, or the swiss army knife.

How to build a PC, after learning everything Uncle Bubba knows. How to use magic anti-static wrist straps then no longer require cables. How to keep a power supply from shorting on the case while you screw it to the back of the case. Why use only the provided paste on the CPU Cooler when you can just slap it on like peanut butter.

If we could only count how many people will need extra parts from this most educational plane crash.

Sponsored by MicroCenter and Best Buy!

A prime example

And Linus has a tonne of subs and a lot of people still fall for Nigerian email scams. Welcome to earth.

Linus has tons of subs because Linus has been consistently putting out quality content for years.

Science Studio is... Man, he's just not good. I used to be a subscriber, but his non-stop condescending attitude was bad enough to make me unsub. I have no idea how he gains subs while someone like Podcastage hasn't even gotten to 100k. YouTube is a strange place.

Also, BitWit's reaction vid is priceless and is also how I learned of the Verge vid in the first place.

Meh, someone else can always do it better. Anything that gets people out there an involved in the hobby without doing something outright dangerous is a good thing in my opinion.

9/10ths of the computer building hobby is just getting off your ass and doing it, the other 10% are just style points.

You did watch the video right? My first thought was that is was sarcasm and troll bait. Zip ties are now called tweezers? Yet it was unforced error after unforced error. I'm not going to knock a new builder on cable management but his whole deal on the psu shorting? Those are anti-vibration pads. He talks about shorting the system if the psu touches the metal case then screws in the psu to the metal case with metal screws. He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. Then there is the cpu paste on top of paste because more is better. Then the missing heatsink screw. It goes on and on.

Honestly, he's just lazy in doing his job or someone wrote this for him to make him look like an idiot and he didn't know better because he's lazy.

The best line though, regarding motherboards: "Screw in with confidence but don't screw in too hard...".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back