The Verge Ridiculed for "How We Built a $2000 Custom Gaming PC" Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? I don't think a novice kid uploading a bad build video deserves weeks of followup harassment.

His company screwed up by allowing it to go up and how they handled the followup. If people want to fight the companies bad policies, that's fine. But that doesn't explain the continued harassment of the kid in the video.
If I were him, I'd be asking around to see if there were a better editorial company looking for work. I wouldn't want to work for any company that'd drop the ball this badly, and he does have some ability. Just needs to try not to trail off in his thoughts a bit...really had me cringing at that radiator install.

If I were him, I'd be asking around to see if there were a better editorial company looking for work. I wouldn't want to work for any company that'd drop the ball this badly, and he does have some ability. Just needs to try not to trail off in his thoughts a bit...really had me cringing at that radiator install.

My favorite is the “insulation strips” to keep the power supply from “touching the case“ so it won’t “short things out.” The incredible idiocy of that comment apparently didn’t dawn on him as he attached the metal power supply to the metal case using metal screws without any “insulating rings” between the PSU and case where the screws attached. :)

Last week, I installed a new SSD in my (custom built, modded case) PC. I remember patting myself on the back while doing it about how nice my build looked inside and how awesome I was at putting computers together and "oh this will only take like 1 minute to do since I'm such a pro." Turned it on and whoops....didn't plug in the SATA power cable.

No YouTube videos anytime soon for me! :)

If the video was supposed to be a parody then he would of broke out the jar of Miracle Whip for Thermal Compound...

Guys maybe the video was supposed to be a Parody?

Speaking of which, him applying thermal compound made me cringe bigtime...:eek:

Free $$$ clicks. With the amount of subs they have - that's gonna be something, on top of the money from the capital one sponsorship.

I sub to their channel for their general tech / cell phone news. I've never seen them do PC builds or deep PC things. Now I know why LOL!

Guys maybe the video was supposed to be a Parody?
If so, it must've Wooshed over my head. lol
If the video was supposed to be a parody then he would of broke out the jar of Miracle Whip for Thermal Compound...

Speaking of which, him applying thermal compound made me cringe bigtime...:eek:
Wasn't there a story of someone actually using MW?
Just imagine if he used that much of liquid metal instead.......

Last edited:
#JustVergeIt

1755804F-E454-42AA-90AF-B7A0D2CD51DF.jpeg

I'm thinking they should have done an IGN on this, in other words watched a video and stolen someone else's content. That would have been much better than "watch a journalist assemble a computer"

Next CPU install I do...I’ll use two tubes of AS5. Because you can’t use too much!

This was me when I built my first "real" computer with the 8700k.

Put a little too much on, oozed over the edge of the processor.

Didn't matter since I quickly realized I had to beef up the cooling system :LOL:

welcome to the internet? somebody should have checked that before hitting upload. fuck, even hire someone to do it as other yt'ers suggests. the continued harassment is prob due to the way they have handled the situation and then broke out the racism card when all else failed.
seems to be a common tactic. "blah blah blah bs bs bs" "hey I dont agree" "bigot!!" or "blah blah blah bs bs bs" "hey you got that wrong, heres the facts" "racist!!!" people are sick of it.
Yes, there is nothing racist about pointing out this person had no business building a PC before they did a lot of more research. It is used as a get out of jail free card to play the racist card. Anyone that made racist comments is wrong, but it doesn't make it OK for the Verge to then basically not acknowledge the entire video is a train wreck.

I'll say this: ask a woman that plays a competitive game. I've seen many that just don't use mics because they'd prefer not to engage random asshats.

I play several competitive games and the only peeps I use a mic with is my clan so ......

I mean really, I've never seen a women who was a clan member, abused by a clan member who got away with his bullshit.

Do you guys have different experiences ?

But does he deserve harassment for trying to flip and blame "toxic communities"?
It's always better to not harass, but to use truth to make your point. Truth isn't harassment, no matter what the person being evaluated thinks. It's blatantly obvious to anyone with even a small amount of PC build experience that there are so many examples of what not to do that these guys should have just said, yes we messed up, look for our next video to be extremely better. It's like they won't admit their goofs and don't want to improve, and most sane people will then move on to greener pastures and say bye bye to the Verge.

None of them have encountered tweezers or zip-ties before?
Well I was of that mindset too, until I met a person who didn't have a single screwdriver in his household. If someone told me I wouldn't have believed such a person existed.

What I can't understand is. If the dude has never built a PC before, why couldn't he just spend like 1 hr watching how to PC build on Youtube, there are so many out there its crazy.

Also another thing I noticed, anybody catch him saying when installing windows "just a few minutes installing windows, then installing drivers". A fresh install and all the updates, and drivers takes several hours to complete. Hell I'd be surprised if he knows what a driver is and how to install it. My guess is that somebody else did them.

And judging by the way he played league of legends, his favorite game! Don't think he's a gamer.

I play several competitive games and the only peeps I use a mic with is my clan so ......

I mean really, I've never seen a women who was a clan member, abused by a clan member who got away with his bullshit.

Do you guys have different experiences ?

In my Wow guild we had a Instagram/Twitch female personality join our group. We had 2 bad apples that couldn't handle gaming with a "Hot" internet personality and went off their rockers. They were Kicked/Banned/Reported in that order for the harassment she got. We don't allow it and don't support it, but there are people who just... freak right the EFF out when they hear "hot" on a video game from another player.

Kinda happens with guys too.. but as a guy that's happened to.. it's just more flattering and not realistic based on my voice alone. LOL.

You know this probably deserves it's own thread.

What I can't understand is. If the dude has never built a PC before, why couldn't he just spend like 1 hr watching how to PC build on Youtube, there are so many out there its crazy.

Also another thing I noticed, anybody catch him saying when installing windows "just a few minutes installing windows, then installing drivers". A fresh install and all the updates, and drivers takes several hours to complete. Hell I'd be surprised if he knows what a driver is and how to install it. My guess is that somebody else did them.

And judging by the way he played league of legends, his favorite game! Don't think he's a gamer.
Exactly. They could have paid a few Capital One dollars to Kyle and his personnel to vet what he was going to do.

Also blaming racism or another nitpicky thing about the people correcting them is one of the oldest tricks in the book, "hey look over there!" Usually the moron claiming that and their cronies are the only ones buying the bs.

I'm curious, anybody know who was the first person who saw the video, was it a reddit poster?

Last edited:
Exactly. They could have paid a few Capital One dollars to Kyle and his personnel to vet what he was going to do.

Also blaming racism or another nitpicky thing about the people correcting them is one of the oldest tricks in the book, "hey look over there!" Usually the moron claiming that and their cronies are the only ones buying the bs.
Its the usual "we have lost the arguement, we must find some moral highground to dismiss all other critism's"

I am sure there was one idiot that went the racist route... maybe more BUT that doesn't dismiss every other criticism. Even if it was a racist that pointed all the problems, it doesn't actually dismiss them as problems...

Typical asign a label and dismiss based upon the label without validating said label.

Equally because of the censorship it cannot be seen if there really was any racist comments.

Dark_reign said:

We're just "angry nerds" and "it still works."

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/310864223?t=0h2m31s

----
He admits a lot of it was fixed afterward and none of that was shown or talked about in the video, and it's still wrong on the website. He then rips on people saying his PC is better and he admits to being an elitist. If this guys career is not done after this, it will be a travesty.

So it's OK for him to tell people a completely wrong way to build the PC, then not tell them what was done to correct it? Is he actually a psychopath or a sociopath? He deserves all the flack he's gotten.

Last edited:
Dark_reign said:

----
He admits a lot of it was fixed afterward and none of that was shown or talked about in the video, and it's still wrong on the website. He then rips on people saying his PC is better and he admits to being an elitist. If this guys career is not done after this, it will be a travesty.

So it's OK for him to tell people a completely wrong way to build the PC, then not tell them what was done to correct it? Is he actually a psychopath or a sociopath? He deserves all the flack he's gotten.
I was totally sure this guy was just following the script, that some other moron decided to throw this guy in to do the video and he was just trying to do what he was told. After hearing this, he's just a prick, and should be fired. If the issues were fixed after the fact, why wasn't that then edited in to the video before publication, and why hasn't the guide been updated? Why was the video taken down, instead of addressed after the fact with these corrections at least? It still works, lame.

Dark_reign said:

----

An elitist? Bwahahahaha! He’s a college kid allegedly majoring in CompSci who can’t even build a freaking computer. What exactly does he have which allows him to be an elitist? The moron didn’t even know the difference between zip ties and tweezers.

His PC isn’t better than mine or probably almost people’s on [H], so if he’d like a free serving of humble pie, we should have him over. Maybe Kyle can interview him. Lol!

I did feel bad about the people continuing to troll him on Twitter, but not now. I wouldn’t hire that asshat to sweep up dog crap in my yard, let alone build a PC.

An elitist? Bwahahahaha! He’s a college kid allegedly majoring in CompSci who can’t even build a freaking computer. What exactly does he have which allows him to be an elitist? The moron didn’t even know the difference between zip ties and tweezers.

His PC isn’t better than mine or probably almost people’s on [H], so if he’d like a free serving of humble pie, we should have him over.
It's like the gift that keeps on giving, he doesn't know when to stop digging his hole of shame. It will be interesting to see how this dumpster fire unfurls.

It's like the gift that keeps on giving, he doesn't know when to stop digging his hole of shame. It will be interesting to see how this dumpster fire unfurls.

The system in his twitch signature isn’t the one he built - I bet he bought it.

I was totally sure this guy was just following the script, that some other moron decided to throw this guy in to do the video and he was just trying to do what he was told. After hearing this, he's just a prick, and should be fired. If the issues were fixed after the fact, why wasn't that then edited in to the video before publication, and why hasn't the guide been updated? Why was the video taken down, instead of addressed after the fact with these corrections at least? It still works, lame.

Yeah, same here. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt for similar reasons... but after seeing his deflection twitter comment and that twitch comment... no.

stopped watching after he accused builder of improper ram installation. While *most* boards use an A/A B/B setup I've personally had a board or two that was A/B A/B. Also the fact that he's trying to nitpick on PCI lane bandwidth when he's installing a video card that will have no other options other than to use the highest bandwidth lane anyway due to form factor I'd say the real cringe is probably in all the responses calling the verge out.
You can have a x16 sized (full length) PCI-E slot that only runs with x1, x4, or x8 bandwidth.
Yeah guys, the verge did a fantastic job, there is nothing to see here, move along...
/s
This is supposed to be an educational video, so the advice uttered is not meant for this exact set of components only. So saying it doesn't matter which slot is a mistake. I wish that was the biggest mistake in the video.

I've never seen such a board in my entire life. The only boards that are 1-2 are the ones with only two dimms.

So basically what you're saying: Don't do it properly let the cpu pop it out, because you're clumsy?
Every motherboard I've had says to leave the plastic cover in and let it pop out when securing the retaining bracket. This is the proper way.
I've never seen an ASUS 1151 motherboard, you're right it even comes with something called CPU installation tool, to help the fools line up the cpu with the socket. And it is really designed to work that way.

Can't say I'd be comfortable with installing the cpu blind. But if it works it works. I'd still remove the cap to double check the placement before closing the bracket.
The bracket is double jointed and moves completely out of the way. Never had an issue with just dropping the CPU into the LGA when pin 1 is lined up.
I've been building PC's since around 92'ish.

Watched the video .... honestly, there are a lot of guys that would have said some of the same shit he did. I've seen it over and over again. I still have friends that do not know what an I/O plate / shield is that can still pretty much build a PC.

Remember, lot of you guys are looking at this video from the peak of a mountain of personal experience in building a PC. So anything less will def be sketch to you and or funny.

It's disappointing he didn't have anyone around him to give him pointers or mentor him.

You know, honestly ... what I see is a guy that jumped in and did the best he could. Very much a novice that probably shouldn't have been allowed to take on the build himself but then again, I'm guessing not many people at The Verge know any better.

If you think the PC community is cringing globally, just think of Asus and MSI and Gigabyte and all the others that have these types of rookie builders destroying their shit and RMAing it back to them. Haha
Not me. I actually read the instructions and attacked them one at a time with my first build. Took me like 4 hours, but it ran perfectly. Believe it or not, everything one needs to know about assembling a full PC is in the motherboard instructions, so you don't even need to juggle multiple books.

I was up and running with Windows 10 in about 20 minutes on a clean SATA SSD. Windows 7 and earlier took hours, admittedly, but W10 installations are generally much faster. Of course, it takes extra time to tweak once everything installed, but that is really an ongoing process in the "Windows as a service" world.

Maybe "it still works" means the PSU rubber shielding grommets is working and there are no "shorts in the system".

I was up and running with Windows 10 in about 20 minutes on a clean SATA SSD. Windows 7 and earlier took hours, admittedly, but W10 installations are generally much faster. Of course, it takes extra time to tweak once everything installed, but that is really an ongoing process in the "Windows as a service" world.

I was also referring to installing drivers, updates, etc. That takes several hours.

I was also referring to installing drivers, updates, etc. That takes several hours.
I included that in my time estimate. Updates are streamlined in the Windows installation if you're connected to the internet at the time. I also have all the drivers and software I need on a thumb drive. If I need a new graphic driver then it takes about 2 minutes to download and 4 minutes to install.

I included that in my time estimate. Updates are streamlined in the Windows installation if you're connected to the internet at the time. I also have all the drivers and software I need on a thumb drive. If I need a new graphic driver then it takes about 2 minutes to download and 4 minutes to install.

Unless it’s an nvidia driver. 500mb wtf. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back