The Unofficial List of Good mATX Motherboards (Overclocking and Not)

Has anyone updated this thread? I see top pick for 2007, but Abit is all but defunct now. What is the top pick for mATX Socket 775 in 2009?

What he said.
I gave an open-box p5e-vm a whirl but had to send it back.
Some impressions I've gathered from threads here and comments at newegg:

Asus P5Q-vm: quirky, OC limited to ~430 best case, some issues with add-in video

Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H: nice IGP but very hot NB, OC limited to 425

DFI P45 t2RS: high OC limits, potential interference with NB HS, PCIE limited to 8x, pricey, no IGP.

Personally, I'm looking for something to let my E0 e8400 stretch its legs to 4GHz...my current 945GC aint it.

Last edited:
with an e8xxx:
-gigabyte E7AUM: up to 450 with an e8xxx
-P5E-VM: up to 550 and even more...
-DFI JR P45: up to 550 and even more...
-M2G: easily up to 550 and even more...

Hello, all.

I've been out of the loop since I purchased my N4L-VM DH as a low power desktop platform. Is the Mobile On Desktop (MODT) classification still valid, or is it now obsolete with the advent of newer chipsets and CPUs? I am not really sure what the power consumption figures are for the more recent chips/chipsets compared to the 945GM northbridge and the Core2Duo T7200 SL9SF (my current system)

Anyone want to bring me up to speed?

Thanks
Erik

I know the board in question is really old, but I've got a question for anyone who has/had one.

I ran an abit F-I90 for 2 years using an e4300 oc'ed from 1.8 to 2.2 and it was rock solid. I recently swapped out for a q6600, flashed to the latest BIOS, and am trying to OC to 3.0. I've got it set to 333*9 with ram locked at 667 which is the spec for my corsair xms2. I'm running an aftermarket dual 120mm fan heatsink with 4 heatpipes and ambient temps are around 39C.

For whatever reason, this thing keeps bluescreening and/or having apps/plugins crash. I just bumped up to 1.4v CPU and bumped one tick on my NB voltage, but I'm leaving RAM voltage alone since it's not oc'ed and due to the weak RAM power circuitry.

The one thing I can't figure out, is how do you lock your PCI-E spread to 100mhz, or is that not possible on this board? I read reports of FSB's going to 360 on average, and reports of 375 on some, but I can't even get a solid 333 and I'm thinking it is due to PCI-e timings as I ran this proc at 3.0 on a different board for 6 months.

I am looking for a mATX board to OC my q6600, instead of buying a new cpu I decided to try and OC (again). My intel DG35EC board will certainly not cut it.

Any suggestions? My only requirement really is that it is compatible with an ATi 4890 (new gpu I am getting)

Looking for the best bang for buck MB.

I was looking at newegg and some reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357

This board seems to get good reviews. People are claiming 3.2 with a q6600 and close to 4ghz on some dual cores.

Thanks guys!

Back