The Unofficial Hard Arcade Game and Pinball thread.

swatbat

[H]F Junkie
Ok so I know a few of the people here have arcade and pinball machines in their houses but I didn't see a thread on it. I figured why not start one to see what else people are collecting.

Die Hard Arcade:
img0785medium.jpg

img0788medium.jpg

Full Die Hard Arcade system. Replaced the starter in the marquee as well as its bulb. Replaced all of the control panel buttons and joystiqs and fixed some minor wiring issues(someone had soldered in a few of the wires to the CP, replaced with proper crimp connectors). Also when I got it is was missing one of the coin mechs and the others mount was messed up. Got two complete used sets and installed them. Also made sure that I went in and turned on the violence mode. While sega did have this cabinet made by a trash can company(really) it is a full jamma cabinet.

img0789medium.jpg

Spare Sega STV(Titan) motherboard for the above with a spare die hard cart. Board is a jamma board with the extra pcb for the kick connector and players 3 and 4. Board was sort of an answer to the neo geo but it really went nowhere in the US. Also have the Super Major League and Virtual Fighters Remix carts for it. Board was tested and put aside. If I could only find a good price on cotten 2 I'd reflash it with the jap bios or put a multi bios on it.

Neo Geo Gold cabinet(with 2 slot board)
img0787mediumy.jpg

Just picked this up today. Already have new buttons, sticks, and coin slots on order for it. Also have a multi cart on the way. Cabinet has some damage(might be able to see the dent up on the left sides front) but overall in good shape. The player surface(cp) needs to be sanded and painted though. Need to figure out why the marquee doesn't light up(yes I checked and made sure it was plugged in). Figure I'll deal with it when I put the new buttons in it. Only thing I've done so far is take a quick look at a few things like why the power button behind the coin down didn't work(power supply has been replaced and doesn't have a connector for it) and take it off free play mode. I keep a bowl of quarters in the room to run the machines. Gives it more of the arcade feel to me.

Edit: Also have a memory card in the neo geo arcade. The 4(and 6) slot ones had an external card slot so you could save things like seasons in the baseball games and level progress, etc. You could use the same save file on the home version(AES) as they both took the same memory card. On the 2 slot it still has the memory card slot but it is internal. It was was operators to save the stats off the game when they emptied the coins out of them.

Last edited:
Not sure what kind of response you will get here. I usually frequent digital press' forums to check out the game room gallery. Nice cab though :)

Not sure what kind of response you will get here. I usually frequent digital press' forums to check out the game room gallery. Nice cab though :)

I've seen a few people post pictures of pinball machines. I'm kinda expecting to see some mame cabinets as well. I mean if I really wanted to see some hyperspins forums as well as arcade-museum's have some crazy collections. Don't know how many on here have the machines, just know I've seen them posted from time to time.

Nice cabinets.

My dream is to have a Last Action Hero pinball game and a generic JAMMA cabinet, but it's going to be difficult to convince the boss.

Pretty nice cabinets... and all original components! I'd love to have a bunch around the place, but for the space. I do have one, though.

I bought a Williams-style Mortal Kombat II cabinet from a local arcade place about 2003 and spent several months turning it into a MAME machine. Hard to believe it's been eight years, I'll have to give it a fresh paint job and replace the now-cracked control panel sometime next year.

theonemachine2.jpg

Last edited:
I currently have 4 pins. No Fear, Demolition Man, Lord of the Rings, and Paragon. My brother had a Pengo arcade a while back that I really wish he hadn't sold.

I don't currently own any arcade cabinets myself but am planning to get a dedicated Mortal Kombat 2 machine soon...if anyone owns any MK machines I would love to see them :)

I currently have 4 pins. No Fear, Demolition Man, Lord of the Rings, and Paragon. My brother had a Pengo arcade a while back that I really wish he hadn't sold.

Pics?

I don't currently own any arcade cabinets myself but am planning to get a dedicated Mortal Kombat 2 machine soon...if anyone owns any MK machines I would love to see them :)

Guy I got the neo geo cab from just sold a nice looking mk2 machine with good artwork and a brand new monitor. It was temping.....

Bumping my own thread with what came in today.

neogeogames.jpg

Also got some buttons and whatnot in that I need to install on the neo geo cabinet(replacing all of the controls with new ones) and some new bulbs for the coin doors.

I've been seeing those multigame packs on a couple of craigslist sales for neo geo cabinets. I assume they're completely bootleg as the packaging looks suspect ...:eek:

I've been seeing those multigame packs on a couple of craigslist sales for neo geo cabinets. I assume they're completely bootleg as the packaging looks suspect ...:eek:

Yea it is a bootleg. Hand soldered in a Chinese sweat shop somewhere. I had to fix one last year for a friend and the solder was horrible. Overall mine works fine. Most of the problems with them are voltage related(need to up the 5v line in the arcade machine) or they are running other carts with it in the unit at once. For me once I reset my neo geo's board it worked fine. Hold player 1 start for 5 seconds(seems to take more like 10 ish) and it goes back to the main menu to select another game. Cart stores the soft dip switches for each game. A bunch of the games are setup with weird settings or are set on level 8(hardest setting) so pretty much it is worth checking the settings on each game on first startup. Metal Slug 2 seems to have some slowdown(as does x) but other then that most seem to be running fine for me. I'm trying to get a friend to dig out his metal slug 2 cart to see if the slow down was in the real game or not(don't think it was but I can't say for 100%).

The other carts are legit.

I currently only own 1 pinball machine and it's where every pinball machine should be: in the kitchen. I bought it from Ebay for dirt cheap and had to do a little bit of work on it but nothing difficult. Little soldering and bulb replacements here and there. Overall, it's in pretty good shape. It's got a flaky switch in a drop hole and some bulbs out again though.

sstpinball1.jpg

You can read about some other smaller work I've done on it: here

And you can see a video of it in action: here

I'd been rocking a Neo Geo (Big Red) cab for a number of years but ended up selling it in mid 2010.

Really loved owning the cab but it didn't get much use.

DSCF0240.JPG

Oh man! I would kill puppies to have Starship Troopers in my kitchen. Good for you man!

If/when I get the room in my house, project #1 for me is a MAME cabinet or a SF2 machine, maybe both.

Great stuff in here, it brings back some memories.

Anyone go to disneyland recently? The Flynn's on the California Adventure side damn near brought me to tears with so many classic games.

Oh man! I would kill puppies to have Starship Troopers in my kitchen. Good for you man!

It's a blast. It was one of my favorite games at the local arcade before it closed. I put money into hundreds of pinballs there and few had a playfield that was fair...although Starship Troopers has some obviously shaped bumpers to pound the ball down the side lanes which can be frustrating. There's a lot to do on the table - you get to pick your avenue of progress (nuke the planets or move to the next one, kill the bugs, go for multiballs instead). It doesn't force you into one mission, which is why I liked it so much.

eBay's got some cheap games if you look. Shipping can be a killer. Factor that in, and you can get a working, good condition table for under $1500. Then you can have one in your kitchen too!

There you go, local pickup only: Starship troopers $800!!!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sammy Sports Shooting USA which is a atomiswave game. Really wasn't that interested in it but the price came down enough that I ended up biting. If anyone knows where I can get the standard control panel for that would be great as I see this thing becoming a fighting cabinet at some point. If not I'm sure I'll look at converting it to something else if I find a good deal on a light gun pcb. Game is kinda fun though, need to hunt down some other carts.

20120104230155.jpg

Yes the curtain in front of those glass doors is horrible. Now that I'm using the room it will be replaced.

Die Hard Arcade was like my FAVORITE arcade game back in the day

Yea I really liked it as a teen as well. I would like to find a Dynamite cop board with jamma adapter at some point to have for it as well(that is the sequel). That game gets a good amount of play. I'm sure once I figure out how to spin the cabinet better(have something in mind) it will be rocking more of virtual fighter as well.

Last edited:
Im sporting my own custom bartop build with all sanwa parts and a 19" lcd. I3 cpu/mobo combo with 4gig ram and an ATI 4850 (so i can play Super street fighter 4)
Ignore the circles in the first pic :) Red button in the middle is a 25c coin button for nostalgia
a.jpg

DSC01385.jpg

DSC01399.jpg

Nice.

Since I mentioned it earlier that I wanted a cotton 2 cart for my die hard machine I should say I found a Cotton Boomerang cart with yet another st-v motherboard in South Korea for sale at a good price. Picked it up and it came in yesterday. Tested the board and then put the game in the die hard cabinet. I have a feeling it will stay in it a while. While I don't think Boomerang is as good as 2 it is fun and a different kind of shooter.

Cotton Boomerang

Bumping my very old thread with a new game.

workingv.jpg

It is easier to just post my klov thread explaining what I had to do to it. Game is pretty hard but fun.
KLOV Thread

My neo geo also has been upgraded to a commerical arcade lcd. Did this a while ago as the crt was failing(both the crt itself and the board for it).

superdodgeball.jpg

And I added a marvel vs capcom 2 naomi system a while ago with a nos 25 inch vga crt but I don't have a good picture of it ready.

I had to go look up how to play that thing. That looks incredibly infuriating. :)

Yea it can really get under you. Makes it harder that you normally played this game in a bar drunk. The 80's version had a star on the display board that would light up when you got to the 10th hole. I've always heard it was so the bar tender knew to give you a beer on the house as a reward.

I can't remember which is supposed to be harder, the 80's version or the 2000's version. Both were made into other games though. The 80's one had Zeke's Peak which is just branded differently. I don't know if the crazy climber mine was branded as was just a factory option or if someone had the stuff made up for it. Mine had the ice cold beer play field either way though. I've seen a game called Tom's Adventure which was available in Europe that was the same game with the play field with a different background.

Back