*** The UnOfficial [H]ard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Thread ***

you see it depends on what is required you your motherboard -- a deluxe is slightly diffrent that a premium- so you'll have to go by what is in your manual .--but what he said sounds like the exact same method i use to flash the deluxe-- it is just the name change on the bios file might be diffrent to prevent accidently flashing a bios for the delux to the premium or vice versa--

my old a8n-sli dlx can overclock pretty good . in fact i got a better overclock out of it than my DFI lanparty ultra d . but the asus had one of them really good early winchesters . it could run windows with the 3000 winnie @ 2.89g

however the crap core 3000 winnie would only do 2.45g on the asus will do 2.65 on the DFI

haven't tried with a venice yet on the DFI -- over at rebels haven i have seen a DFL lanparty ultra d with a 3200 venice going at 2.95 on water with a high v core.

on my asus it can do 2.75g stable on air with the venice core 3200.

i do think the DFI is a better overclocker --but the asus should have enought guts to get a good overclocking run--esp if your lucky and get a really good core.

i have heard asus has improved the a8n with the premium -- after a bios upgrade or two it should overclock very well as good or better than my deluxe--

Anyone having issues with the new 1006-004 beta bios on this motherboard?

System works great...but just hangs on reboot 90% of the time and wont shut down 100% of the time.. I have to use my reset switch or power switch.

JSF35rhino said:
why i had to type a8n-sli.bin is because to use the award flasher that came with the asus bios download . it is required by the flasher . if you just leave it as is is won't flash .

MAKE CERTAIN you have the right name for your new bios --check your manual !!!

remember i have the "old A8n-SLI DLX" you have the platnium-er premium whatever-- so your bios might have another name onther than a8n-sli.bin .

your bios flash might require something like rename bios to a8n-premium.bin or whatever-

-so check and se what your book says about useing the award flasher.

it is not difficult--and after youve flashed with the floppy/award flasher you get better results than with the asus update thing (at least on a nf4 mb)
I just used 1008.bin, and the ALT+F2 flasher picked it up. Why is this not the preferred method? I've done it twice to good success.

TheGameguru said:
Anyone having issues with the new 1006-004 beta bios on this motherboard?

System works great...but just hangs on reboot 90% of the time and wont shut down 100% of the time.. I have to use my reset switch or power switch.
I'm still waitin' on my RMA :(
Hopefully they'll have a new official BIOS out soon.

When used in cases at 180 degree angle. I have read in several forums of issues can't remember which ones but issue is not working at 180 degrees. I bought motherboard anyways because I am keen on bios controlled sli.

Night_Hawk-19 said:
When used in cases at 180 degree angle. I have read in several forums of issues can't remember which ones but issue is not working at 180 degrees. I bought motherboard anyways because I am keen on bios controlled sli.
what?
:confused:

Was there a Bios update? I was reading this board only has up to 1.65 vcore. Any more reviews?

Night_Hawk-19 said:

Frame of reference, do you know it?

Every (mid)tower case I've used the MB is mounted 90deg, counter clockwise, from ground plane. 180deg would suggest the MB is mounted upside down in this frame (ground plane). However if you take 180deg from standard (mid)tower mounted case, thus 270deg counter clockwise from ground or -90deg clockwise from ground, then yes I would think this MB would have problems.

kmeson said:
Frame of reference, do you know it?

Every (mid)tower case I've used the MB is mounted 90deg, counter clockwise, from ground plane. 180deg would suggest the MB is mounted upside down in this frame (ground plane). However if you take 180deg from standard (mid)tower mounted case, thus 270deg counter clockwise from ground or -90deg clockwise from ground, then yes I would think this MB would have problems.

my mobo is mounted upside down.

Sorry for confusion. I was just wondering how heat pipe will work in stright up and down :) because I am putting motherboard in Lian-Li case.

If its possible could someone post the chipset temps? I am curious to see how well the passive cooling works...

thanks.

Yeah, there may be a problem if the heatsink is below the chipset. All the liquidy goodness would (theoretically) be pulled to the wrong side of the heatpipe.

On the other hand, it might not be a issue at all, like in the Thermalright heatsinks, where heatpipe orientation wouldn't affect performance.

So I wouldn't worry too much abou it. But how about some temp readings?

Geshtar said:
If its possible could someone post the chipset temps? I am curious to see how well the passive cooling works...

thanks.

Here are my temps, system in my sig.

Temp.gif

WTF are you guys talking about?
Whether the board is in a ATX position or a backwards ATX like the Lian Li V series cases, it shouldn't matter.
Either way the water will have to travel up and down.
Important thing is just to have good airflow over the heat fins by the CPU socket.

I'll post some temps when I get my board back from RMA.

EnderW said:
WTF are you guys talking about?

We're talking about the orientation of the heatpipe on the A8N-SLI Premium. Standard ATX mid & tower cases have the condensor fins located above the chipset.

My understanding of heatpipes is that they work via phase change. As liquid is heated it turns into a gas that makes its way to a condensor (radiator fins in this case). Once there it condenses back to liquid and drips down to the heat sink where it starts the process over.

Gravity plays an important part in this description. It's what draws the liquid to the heat sink to absorb energy.

The Asus forums has some mention of this. Some say it doesn't matter, other say it does. Asus hasn't mentioned anything.

I was wondering about this. I'm using an upside-down mounted MB (Lian-Li) and freaked out when I saw my MB temp is 55 C at idle. Fortunately during heavy gaming it doesn't get above 65 C. In my case, I think it's partly due to orientation, and that I'm using water-cooling. Notice the heatpipe's radiator is near the CPU fan, so in my case it's not getting air pushed over the cooling fins.

Anyways, nice idea, but I'm already looking at a fan/heatsink set-up to replace the heatpipe. :(

Dr_John said:
Notice the heatpipe's radiator is near the CPU fan, so in my case it's not getting air pushed over the cooling fins.

I'd have to say that is the cause more than anything. I get such low chipset temps (see above post) because I have a Zalman 7700Cu. So the CPU fan is blowing directly down and onto the radiator.

Have you tried using a small fan on the radiator? Put a little 40mm or something on there running at 5V, just enought to get some circulation on it. That might be enough to make a dramatic difference. Kind of also makes me wonder how hot your MOFETs are getting since they are cooled by that radiator also.

I'm considering getting this mobo? Are there any downsides of it? Is the heatpipe restrictive of the cooler at all? I was thinking about getting the XP-90!

I'd have to say that is the cause more than anything. I get such low chipset temps (see above post) because I have a Zalman 7700Cu. So the CPU fan is blowing directly down and onto the radiator.
These temps are with an upside Lian LI case? If so, your results certainly answer the question. I'll put a small fan over the radiator out of curiosity. I'm not to cocerned at this point since I haven't had a single problem.

Dr_John said:
These temps are with an upside Lian LI case? If so, your results certainly answer the question. I'll put a small fan over the radiator out of curiosity. I'm not to cocerned at this point since I haven't had a single problem.

No mine is mounted normally, buy my chipset temps dropped about 7 degrees when I switched from the stock heatsink to the Zalman.

Glow said:
What is Dual 10/100/1000Mbps exactly

It has 2 gigabit ethernet ports on the back. One from the NF4 chipset, and one as a Yukon chip.

brom42 said:
It has 2 gigabit ethernet ports on the back. One from the NF4 chipset, and one as a Yukon chip.
ah, heh thought it might be something special besides that. Yeah I realize it has the dual gig ports though thanks

Night_Hawk-19 said:
which no one seems to be able to answer. I am sure mine won't have any problems.

Well i'm debating sending the board back. I have not mounted it or tested it but the idea of the upside down heat pipe is really bugging me. I know the DFI will work without any problems...

JSquid said:
Well i'm debating sending the board back. I have not mounted it or tested it but the idea of the upside down heat pipe is really bugging me. I know the DFI will work without any problems...

Jsquid, YGPM

Okay....system at idle for 30 min...."system" temp. in NVmonitor at 55 C. Does anyone know exactly where this temp. is measured?

I did find this:

According to the test carried out by Asus, the temperature of the north bridge for the A8N-SLI Premium, fitted with an Athlon 64 3800+ processor, 2x512MB DDR400, and 2x nVidia 6800 SLI mounted, was 69.2 degrees. Another motherboard equipped with the same components, but using classic fans, obtained a temperature of 79.2 degrees. Both configurations ran 3DMARK2005 for an hour and a half.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Asus-s-A8N-SLI-Premium-doesn-t-need-any-fans-3679.shtml

So if those temps are measured at the same place, I should be okay? (no idea).

After blowing air on the heatpipe radiator for 10 min. with a big-ass 80 mm fan at 5000 rpm I was able to drop the temp. to 43 C, but clearly this is unacceptable. LOL...this Lian Li case has been nothing but a pain in the ass. I'm curious - I'll try turning the whole case over.

One of the reasons I bought the Asus A8N-SLI Premium was to avoid having to replace a chipset fan, but looks like I'll end up doing it anyways.

Dr_John said:
Okay....system at idle for 30 min...."system" temp. in NVmonitor at 55 C. Does anyone know exactly where this temp. is measured?

I did find this:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Asus-s-A8N-SLI-Premium-doesn-t-need-any-fans-3679.shtml

So if those temps are measured at the same place, I should be okay? (no idea).

After blowing air on the heatpipe radiator for 10 min. with a big-ass 80 mm fan at 5000 rpm I was able to drop the temp. to 43 C, but clearly this is unacceptable. LOL...this Lian Li case has been nothing but a pain in the ass. I'm curious - I'll try turning the whole case over.

One of the reasons I bought the Asus A8N-SLI Premium was to avoid having to replace a chipset fan, but looks like I'll end up doing it anyways.
:confused:
your temp is 15 C lower than what ASUS reported?

your temp is 15 C lower than what ASUS reported?

A) My system is at idle

B) I have no idea specifically where Asus was measuring those temperatures.

Okay, my experiment is over. In a system with a water-cooled CPU, the orientation does matter.

First: In an 'inverted' Lian Li case, after 30 mins after sitting over night, 'system' temp. is 55 C at idle.

Second: Flipping the exact system over to a 'normal' configuration, after 30 mins, 'system' temp is 43 C at idle.

So does anyone know what a dangerous 'system' temp. is? I haven't had a single crash, but I'm concerned.

im gonna assume system temp is the cpu temp... and everyone knows how glitchy the A64 temp sensor is *rolls eyes*

im gonna assume system temp is the cpu temp... and everyone knows how glitchy the A64 temp sensor is *rolls eyes*
Well, gee, thanks for 'rolling your eyes' but I'm guessing that in NVMonitor the CPU temp. would be indicated by, hmmm, maybe 'CPU temp?' And do you assume the indicated GPU temp. in NVMonitor is also the CPU temp.?

Is it just me, or would a Thermalright XP120 make the most sense here with an upside-down mobo in a Lian Li V case?

Sorry to hijack the thread but my board is coming in tomorrow and I was planning on happily burning my floppy drive to say goodbye to legacy technology. Can I perform BIOS flashes from CDs? Or do I need the floppy drive to flash the BIOS?

Ratboy said:
Is it just me, or would a Thermalright XP120 make the most sense here with an upside-down mobo in a Lian Li V case?

would an xp120 even fit with the socket so close to the edge and the heatsink being so big?

Dr_John said:
So does anyone know what a dangerous 'system' temp. is? I haven't had a single crash, but I'm concerned.

I'd feel uncomfortable with 55c, actually anything above 40c I'd considered too high. But that's more subjective preference than anything else. My system temps, using the same board, are 36-38c depending on load and ambient temp.

Try checking out nVidia's site for chipset thermal specifications. Perhaps they'll list the max operating temps.

FYI the manual, on page 2-2, states

... make sure you place it into the chassis in the correct orientation. The edge with external ports goes to the rear part of the chassis as indicated in the image below.

This excerpt isn't exactly clear. The image shows the radiator above the chipset, but this only adds confusion with regard to the Lian Li case

My opinion is the radiator should be above the chipset for mounting and I think Dr_John's test confims it.

I wanted to use this board so badly that i bought a Antec P180 to stick it in. I was not willing to risk thermal issues with my LianLi. My file server is running in a generic case now but it's about to get a major upgrade :p

bryan said:
would an xp120 even fit with the socket so close to the edge and the heatsink being so big?
Yes. It's really a perfect fit because it hangs over the fins for the chipset cooler.
Check out the pics below.

JSquid said:
I wanted to use this board so badly that i bought a Antec P180 to stick it in.
Same combo I have. Nice.

Well, my replacement board was shipped today, hopefully I'll get it this week and I can spend my birthday (Sunday) putting everything together.

Here are some pics I took the first time around that I never posted.

XP-120

Here you can see the way I have it positioned.

Notice how it hangs over the fins for the chipset cooler.

The RAM barely fits with the XP-120.

A couple more angles.

Also, ran into a small problem with the video card.
The VGA connector kept getting caught on this cap.

A slight push fixed it though.

A shot without the video card.

Back