The "Unofficial" Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved Thread!

Night Fox

Limp Gawd
Here it is, the one and only thread (so far) dedicated directly to one of the best launch titles for the Xbox 360. Feel free to share your scores, strategies, achievements, whatever!

If you are looking for some good entertainment, check out this post over at Joystiq that has a video of the ex-world champion getting a rediculous score. :eek:

My personal best after last night is 674,000. It sucks because I was one life away from getting the Mad Catz achievement... :(

You could play this through PGR2, which I used to do all the time on my cousin's xbox. fantastic little game.

Awesome game. Ive been playing consistenly for the last couple of days and have gotten up to 315k, gets pretty hectic there. My problem seems to be that I have troubles firing in the same direction that I am moving, I always want to fire another direction for some reason. Addicting game though, I cant stop playing it.

steaksauce said:
Addicting game though, I cant stop playing it.

I think I'll be addicted until I break 1 million... then I'll probably put it down for awhile and stop neglecting the other 360 games I own. :p

Ive got my current sights on surviving 500k right now. Then on to a million, though I have no clue how I will do that.

At 300k I simply could not tell what the hell was going on...at all. Still a lot of fun though.

I always start over if I don't reach 100k w/ out dying. I try to only use one bomb during that time because you need them later on.

The key obviously is getting and keeping multipliers.

WorldRunner said:
I always start over if I don't reach 100k w/ out dying. I try to only use one bomb during that time because you need them later on.

The key obviously is getting and keeping multipliers.

I actually believe in not quitting. I started out having a really crappy game, I'm pretty sure I died before 100k, then again shortly after. I wanted to quit, but decided to press on, if not just for more practice. I ended up almost beating my high score. ;)

I find another problem with me is that I dont use my bombs. Sometimes I will just get in a zone and not even notice Ive trapped myself in a corner and need to bomb out, sucks to die with 4 or 5 bombs still left.

Night Fox said:
I actually believe in not quitting. I started out having a really crappy game, I'm pretty sure I died before 100k, then again shortly after. I wanted to quit, but decided to press on, if not just for more practice. I ended up almost beating my high score. ;)

Yeah...I've just found though if you can't keep a pretty long string going w/ at least a 5x multiplier you can't get much for a high score. When you already have about 100,000 racked up it's very hard to get a big multiplier going because of all the crap that's on the screen I guess.

WorldRunner said:
Yeah...I've just found though if you can't keep a pretty long string going w/ at least a 5x multiplier you can't get much for a high score. When you already have about 100,000 racked up it's very hard to get a big multiplier going because of all the crap that's on the screen I guess.

I used to think the same way, but after playing a bit more, the deeper you are in the game the faster that multiplier racks up. Especially when you get those swarms of little blue "jacks" that come out by the hundreds.

The multiplier is based on the amount of enemies killed, so the faster the enemies come out, the faster you can kill 'em. ;)

totally addicted as well. I got my high last night of 1.4 million though! Like another poster said, I always seem to forget to use my bombs. I think I had 5 bombs left when I got my 1.4 million. :(

Night Fox said:
I used to think the same way, but after playing a bit more, the deeper you are in the game the faster that multiplier racks up. Especially when you get those swarms of little blue "jacks" that come out by the hundreds.

The multiplier is based on the amount of enemies killed, so the faster the enemies come out, the faster you can kill 'em. ;)

No...I know that. That's why I think it's important to have a multiplier racked up while you're going into the 100k "checkpoint"

I'm not great at the game really... my high score is about 250k but I've only played about an hour so far broken up into 3x 20 minute sessions. Just seems to be the best philosophy for me anyway. That and killing the red circles ASAP...because they seem to just rape you if you don't.

WorldRunner said:
That and killing the red circles ASAP...because they seem to just rape you if you don't.

There is a LOT of strategy involved with the gravity wells. They only activate when you shoot them and a well timed gravity well can pull alot of enemies off your ass.

I Dled this game last night.. it is like the second coming of galagher! (sp?)

Also, not to thread hijack, but has anyone played Wik: Fable of Souls? That game is ridiculously fun as well.

I have at the very least, 4 hours of gameplay and still my max score is 220k. I think I just suck.

Staples said:
I have at the very least, 4 hours of gameplay and still my max score is 220k. I think I just suck.

You don't suck. I've probably got at least 20 hours of gameplay and can't get past 212,000.

RobotGS2 said:
You don't suck. I've probably got at least 20 hours of gameplay and can't get past 212,000.
Yay, I hit 268k tonight. Been a few days since I broken my last record. And that 4 hour estimate was a really conservative estimate. It was probably closer to 8-10.

I saw a video of someone who got over 2m and after 200k, the screen was full of baddies. Can't believe he lasted 12 minutes avoiding 200 objects. Before, I wondered if the best were able to keep the enemy count down when you are over 200k but that is not the case.

I just played Geometry Wars 2 on PGR3 the other night, and I am hooked. By far the best game on the xbox 360.

thelead said:
I just played Geometry Wars 2 on PGR3 the other night, and I am hooked. By far the best game on the xbox 360.

SO DAMN TRUE!!! BEST XBOX 360 GAME OUT!!! Got 288k so far. :D

Well I got the Mad Cat Skillz achievement over the weekend but I still haven't broken 1 million.

And for anyone following the top 10 players in the world, Striker has reclaimed #1 with 3.4+ million.

Night Fox said:
Well I got the Mad Cat Skillz achievement over the weekend but I still haven't broken 1 million.

And for anyone following the top 10 players in the world, Striker has reclaimed #1 with 3.4+ million.

Just got the Quartermaster one....10x and 1 million survial is all I have left.....I topped out at 2.1 million too...

I just realized the Striker is part of the 360 Launch team....for some reason I think that cheapens it.

badasspenguin said:
I just realized the Striker is part of the 360 Launch team....for some reason I think that cheapens it.

In his human form, I'm sure "Striker" earns his pay by working on the Xbox Team. But to achieve scores that "he" has, you have to be more than flesh and blood. You have to be inhuman. Perhaps he has found a way to directly connect himself, as it were, to the Xbox 360, as to surpass our mortal reflexes.

sac_tagg said:
Does this game actually involve geometry? As in, a^2 + b^2 = c^2? Or is this just a catchy name?

Not at all. :p

It's actually just simple polygonal shapes that are your enemies. ;)

Night Fox said:
In his human form, I'm sure "Striker" earns his pay by working on the Xbox Team. But to achieve scores that "he" has, you have to be more than flesh and blood. You have to be inhuman. Perhaps he has found a way to directly connect himself, as it were, to the Xbox 360, as to surpass our mortal reflexes.

Good point, I'm sure as part of the XBox 360 team he is able to "jack into" the 360 itself and control the game with his mind rather than his fingers.

Up until last night my record was about 280k. Last night the first game I played I came 10k short of getting the "Survive 250k" achievement, and then went on to score a total of a little above 580k. Then I scored in the 350k to 390k range 3 more times before I quit for the night.

I think the major differences for me was that I started leaving the gravity wells alive longer, so they acted as a defense for me and took some heat off, and I figured out how to escape outside the circle every time the long snake like enemies spawned around me. Just figuring out a couple little things like that basically doubled my score. Now I just need to get better at the red Pac-man guys and the little blue things and I should be able to reach 1 million.

What's really bad is when you have a little brother with a higher score than you... mine is 404,000, his is 444,000... it gets really annoying...

Tiny said:
Is it sad that I can't break past 100k?

Have you done pacifism yet? It's a good way to teach you to look at your "ship" while manuevering.

A lot of people let their eyes wander to what's going on on the entire board...the key is to focus on your ship and what's directly around you at higher levels. I'm not that great... my high score is around 300k but that's how I got above 250k...was learned to focus on my own ship.

Also use the gravity wells to your advantage...just don't let them explode.

I will have to try that out. The most sad part is that the first time my 8 yr old cousin played it, she got 543k. :(

Also use the gravity wells to your advantage...just don't let them explode.

How do you keep them from exploding? Those things are the reason I can't get above 200K.

If I am not mistaken, when they explode they release little blue circles, right?

Well, if you watch them, they start spitting out more particles and then they explode. If you shoot them, til the explode, they won't release those little blue guys.

I hate the worm things.

The saddest thing is, i cant even last the 3 minutes the demo in PGR3 gives. I dont quite have the manual dexterity to play it under pressure. Get the sticks mixed up and end up moving my ship the direction i'm meant to be shooting. :(

As a little tip, I've found that playing the Retro version of Geometry Wars helps to build your skills. I was playing night and trying to reach 250K on Evolved. I couldn't get over 192K and was getting frustrated, so I decided to give the Retro version a shot. It's a lot harder, and as a result, when I went back to the Evolved version I scored over 250K on my first try. :D

There is a thread over at the BizarreOnline forums where someone posted a video of them reaching 4 million. That is, if you are interested in learning some new strategies. ;)

Is it just me or is it sad that a small flash esque game is being seen as the best the 360 has to offer?

Darakian said:
Is it just me or is it sad that a small flash esque game is being seen as the best the 360 has to offer?

At first...you'd think it's a simple flash game. But when you get to the hire levels and you see the sheer amount of enemies and physics involved on the screen at once it is pretty impressive. I counted no less than 2 trillion particles on the screen at once when I hit 2 million. ;)

Back