**The Ultimate Cooling Battle: Air VS. Water** Which Do You Prefer?

Air VS. Water (Which Do You Prefer?)

• Air Cooling

Votes: 56 46.7%
  • Water Cooling

Votes: 64 53.3%

• Total voters
Air, it is easier(for me), it costs less(as far as I have seen), and when my air cooler fails it won't soak my computer. I don't overclock so a massive passive HS does the job for me.

these are opinions, no need to flame, call me ignorant, etc..

why is "Air Cooling" italicized?

^ I don't know why. Anyway, getting back on track, I voted for air cooling. Air cooling is cheaper and can be just as effective as water cooling.

Depends.

I used water for over two years up until today. The reason I used it is I hate noise and lived in a non air-conditioned apartment for that time (ambient temps in room got to about 110f in the summer), and that was the only means to get quiet and cool.

Now, I'm back to air....pity Lian-li PC7x seris cases are noisy as hell....I gotta spend my spendable spilt of my next paycheck on some noise deadening panels for my tower.

FWIW here is my air rig.

Therlamright SI-97 w/ 92mm vantec stealth fan
zalman chipset cooler
zalman dual heatpipe cooler (trying it out without the optional fan for a few weeks)
1 120mm evercool aluminum fan @ 5v and two 80mm adda fans @ 5v (addas were stock in my lian-li)
Antec Truepower 380 powersupply.

I think it's moderately quiet. My Seagate Barricuda IV ata hard drive is the most annoying device in my system at the moment...soon to be in a silencer...I hate that high pitched whine of 7200rpm drives...

Really broad question.

I prefer air. Simpler, more mobile, cheaper, and about as effective in many situations. Do it right, and you'll have a quiet high-performance cooling setup.

water, because it is quiet, more efficient, etc. It is perfectly safe if done right. I carry my pc to and from college and to lans and it is fine. Basically with water, you pay a higher cost for radiator, pump, res, tubing, accessories, and block but when you upgrade, you can just get a new cpu block or even a new top/bottom for cheap. Somewhat future proof.

Tiny said:
why is "Air Cooling" italicized?

Because you voted for it.

I would prefer water cooling if I had the money for it, but I'd rather get that $500 Prometia.

I prefer Water Cooling, because... well you guys already said why. But I don't dare take the leap yet because I travel with my PC now and then and I'm affraid it would leak with all the moving and banging around. But my air cooling has served me very well. I have my P4 540 3.2GHz OCed to 3.93GHz thanks to my Thermalright XP-120 and 120mm fans. 40C Idle and ~55C Full load.

Air.
Less hardware, lighter case, just as quiet as water if done right. Plus there is 0% chance for a leak, pump failure, or fitting cracks. Something water has no control over, no matter how perfectly its done.

I say ask icemochalatte that question ;)

Air is cheaper, no maintenance, don't have to replace hoses, easier to move, easier to install and isn't going to "spring a leak" and destroy your whole system. With the right heatsink/fan it performs 85% as well with the same noise level (or less, because I don't know how annoying the pump would be, but noisy fishtanks spring to mind...)

Water:

1. Quieter then air for the same performance (don't think that's really debatable)
2. Gets me a higher overclocker
3. Gets me lower idle and load temperatures (I'm talking 10 degres Celsius less)

DaLurker said:
Water:
1. Quieter then air for the same performance (don't think that's really debatable)
Would you be able to hear the pump over two low speed 120mm fans? Because I'd bet you could get about the same perfomance using an XP-120 w/low speed 120mm or the new VapoChill MicroTM (aircooler) and be quieter than water.

Air:

- more performance/$ compared to watercooling
- small initial investment
- little maintenance (keeping heatsinks free from dust)

I'd venture to say that correctly cooling with air is harder than with water, as the latter consists basically out of hooking everything up in the right order and following the remaining instructions, whereas with air every system is pretty much unique.

I've noticed that most people go for the brute-force approach, i.e., many fans, high airflow rates and a lot of noise. Less known is that there's also a correct way to cool with air, which, unfortunately for some, requires a lot more time and knowledge/experience than just installing some tubing.

MeanieMan said:
Air.
Less hardware, lighter case, just as quiet as water if done right. Plus there is 0% chance for a leak, pump failure, or fitting cracks. Something water has no control over, no matter how perfectly its done.

Fans can fail and excessive heat buildup can occasionally be as disastrous to your system as a water leak.

That being said, air. I have no need to wc.

eggrock said:
Fans can fail and excessive heat buildup can occasionally be as disastrous to your system as a water leak.

That being said, air. I have no need to wc.

MeanieMan said:
If done right

Its a heck of a lot easier to monitor a fan then it is to monitor water pressure, and drips. My motherboard tells me instantly when a fan fails. If your system can crash on burn on just 1 fan failing, I also don't consider that being done right. The same could be said for "excessive heat buildup".

I'd say you couldn't really compare WC and air cooling in the same context. I have rarely seen anyone use WC for a rig that they will not be OCing at all. While you can OC with air, most OC'ers tend to go with WC as it (usually) gives them a higher overclock, without the risk of the chip burning out. Air is good for everyday stock use as it does not have the disadvantages and risks of WC, but if you wanna clock high, you gotta learn to take risks.

My $0.02

sleepeeg3 said:
Would you be able to hear the pump over two low speed 120mm fans? Because I'd bet you could get about the same perfomance using an XP-120 w/low speed 120mm or the new VapoChill MicroTM (aircooler) and be quieter than water.
LoL, VapoChill man? That's a whole other level. Besides, it's gas cooling, not air.

Though I have never used liquid cooling, it looks to be my next PC cooling method as there are replacements for water that are electrically inert and have similar, if not the same, flow properties. These "water replacements" also have the added benefit (usually) of being both growth and rust retardant.

Go water cooling, 1337 cooling, but some just have to stick with the good old air(to much noise with air and too hot) :D

But don't you find it infinately easier to swap parts in and out with air cooling? I have never used liquid cooling, but have watched a friend take hers apart and it just seems to me that air is more condusive to swapin' parts. Just an opinion based on no actual expeirence.

well, if you are constantly changing parts air is probably easier.
for me, i like water cooling because it is better for your system. I don't oc, but it is quieter, and makes my pc last longer as it is cool (i am from the get the absolute best out there every 3 years).
i am also using this great product called fluid xp, that does not matter if it spills everywehere on your components, so a leak is no biggie, also, all of this only gives a 1-2% cooling defecit...
f

Tiny said:
But don't you find it infinately easier to swap parts in and out with air cooling? I have never used liquid cooling, but have watched a friend take hers apart and it just seems to me that air is more condusive to swapin' parts. Just an opinion based on no actual expeirence.

It was for me. With water you had tubing to watch out for. Make sure it wasn't being kinked or pulled while still keeping it out of the way to put a new, say CPU in.
With air cooling, you take off one heatsink, put it on your desk. Put in new CPU, apply heatsink.

definately water. I go for silence, so my kits are more effective and quieter then air, but not for every last megahurtz possible.....(ei, no TECs )

Ive done both Water and Air cooling.(and in about less then 30 days will have my phase unit) They both have their places. But for most performance uses water cooling is superior. If you want the ultimate in performance and overclocking abillity go water. Or if you want to do the ultimate in silence go water. If you want ease and moderate performance with simplicity and less expence go air. As far as all the people here that are talking about water leaks and the such they have no clue. A PROPERLY built water cooled system with the correct componets and proper maintinece will not leak. Yes the cost is more for water but at that point then its your choice. Do i want to get that extra 200 to 400 mhz from my cpu? (Cant get it from air but with water it will be possible) Is it worth the cost? thats only a question that the individual can answer for him or herself. If its for having a silent machine same thing. One thing to look at is with water one can cool the entire system with water, in fact just about every componet if they want. That reduces noise from Vid cards and Chipsets and the realy noisy stuff. As far as monitering water pumps or the such a simple flow meter is all one needs to see if its running. The pump in my system is quieter then any fan I have ever used.(not like a fish tank at all) If done correctly a water cooled system can do anything an air cooled set up will do and more and do it better. Its just depends on personal preferance. Dont see any reason that any one should flame or judge anyone here for the personal choice one makes for their own tastes and needs. Thats what makes this such a fun hobby. Diversity. Oh yea water cooled set ups look way bitchin as well. But this is just my opinions based off of use of both and study of both from many sources.

The Cpt.

I just finished installing my Corsair Cool watercooling setup yesterday. I must say that it is waaaay better than any aircooled setup I have ever tried. As you all know, Prescotts run hot as hell and ever since I built this P4 setup last July, I have been battling noise and heat. I tried many fans, but there was always a noise tradeoff accociated with going that route. I tried the massive passive heatpipe solution from Thermaltake - the Tower 112. Still couldn't get a cool/noise ratio that I found suitable. Sure, it was quiet, but I had to leave the side of my case off due to not exhausting enough air. That sucked and looked like ass. I even installed the acclaimed Vantec Tornado for an exhaust on my 80mm exhaust port. I could then put the side panel back on my case, but bleh, I'm still trying to recover my hearing from that. With the Corsair Cool (which is basically a Swiftec 120 rev.3 with better paint - no flames please - that's what it is!), my temps are now 41C idle and 49C load instead of 60C idle and 70-75C load and the damn thing is whisper quiet. In short, I'll probably never go back to aircooling again unless future processors run much cooler, and that's not bloody likely.

Biff said:
As you all know, Prescotts run hot as hell [..] I'll probably never go back to aircooling again unless future processors run much cooler, and that's not bloody likely.
Actually, it's very much likely. If you look at Opteron CPUs, for example, you'll notice that there are even low-power versions of them, using (far) less than 60 Watt. Current Athlon 64 CPUs run cooler than Athlon XPs. Athlon XPs run cooler than the original Athlons. Pentium Ms run cooler than the P3 core they're based on.

The Prescott is the last revision in the (canceled) line of Netburst-based CPUs, which has proven to be a spectacular failure for Intel. They've even renamed the P4 CPUs still being sold out of embarrassment :)

Optimus said:
What is this Phasing or Phase Unit that everyone keeps talking about?
Not to get off track on this thread But a short explanation of Phase change is :

Its a sealed system unit that uses a form of freon or refigerant gas that is run through lines. It is compressed from liquid to gas by a compressor and then travels throught the tubes through a heat exchanger known as the condenser and then run to a Evaptube to a heatsink head that is placed on the CPU and can cool a CPU anywhere from -30 to -150 degrees depending on type of unit and how many stages it has. When the Gases that flow through the lines hit the cpu of the heat sink they are then turned into liquid and then recirculated back thru and turned back to gas once again. (thus the phase change name cause from Gas to liquid and back to gas changes that go on) Basically Ultra cool temps. SO you can OC very heavy.

For more info Check out the extreme cooling section in this forum.

The Cpt.

MeanieMan said:
Its a heck of a lot easier to monitor a fan then it is to monitor water pressure, and drips. My motherboard tells me instantly when a fan fails. If your system can crash on burn on just 1 fan failing, I also don't consider that being done right. The same could be said for "excessive heat buildup".

Only leak I ever had in my WC setup was from me being an idiot and not draining it before the movers packed it up. BTW tehy dropped the box 10ft, and dented the corner of my case (got a nice lian-li with the check), only leak I had was my bay-res cracked at the barb, and it was nothing really...I just heated the area up a bit to stop the leaking, followed with teflon tape and caulk...didn't even have to drain it.

You don't need to measure water pressure..it's flowrate and level. Level is done with a resevoir, and actually you can get a rough estimate of flowrate by watching the res as well...so it's not biggie. Those that need accurate readouts are usually going for the highest OC possible, or doing something really weird...those guys usually don't give half a crap about practicality. And for me, If my pump was flaking out, I knew since my temp gauge would go up....if my idle/load temps are much higher, then I know somehting's up.

I have always favored aircooling but with these new watercooling kits coming out from different manufacturers they look easy to set up. My next system will be a Athlon 64 with watercooling.

i like water cooling. Air is just too, how do you say? ummm abundent.

but really i like it for its efficiency and its lack of noise. And as stated above, it is NOT just all hook up tubing and its done. It has its own art too.

For me...It's all about the delta. I like the fact that watercooling will fluctuate less with the ambient temp. Also the noise thing is key as well. Also...it's just more fun to set up.

Voted air as that is all I have run so far. Am still on the fence about water cooling. Considering it strongly for my next build but have nothing in stone as yet.

MakubexGB said:
LoL, VapoChill man? That's a whole other level. Besides, it's gas cooling, not air.

The link he posted was to a new VapoChill product that is a heatpipe + fan combo. It looks mildly interesting. I'd like to see a review on it.

Air for me mainly because I don't have enough money to get a nice WC setup. If I had a lot of cash I would probably venture down the WC path. Seeing as I haven't used both I can't objectivly say one is better than the other, the only thing I know is that air has worked fine for me for quite some time. :D

Qveon said:
i like water cooling. Air is just too, how do you say? ummm abundent.

but really i like it for its efficiency and its lack of noise. And as stated above, it is NOT just all hook up tubing and its done. It has its own art too.
Once you've selected the correct components, or obtained a kit which was put together by professionals, all one has to do is follow some simple instructions.

If you want to know how little people understand of aircooling, look at BTX and its supporters' claims of superior cooling. The ignorance is astounding.

That said, I agree with a previous poster's statement that watercooling has its place in certain situations, like overclocking. I just don't see it appear in every single OEM system out there, or it must be in a form as in Apple's G5.

Elledan said:
Once you've selected the correct components, or obtained a kit which was put together by professionals, all one has to do is follow some simple instructions.

If you want to know how little people understand of aircooling, look at BTX and its supporters' claims of superior cooling. The ignorance is astounding.

That said, I agree with a previous poster's statement that watercooling has its place in certain situations, like overclocking. I just don't see it appear in every single OEM system out there, or it must be in a form as in Apple's G5.

Definitly agree with the coment on BTX......Its crap!!!!

Elledan said:
Air:

- more performance/$ compared to watercooling
- small initial investment
- little maintenance (keeping heatsinks free from dust)

I'd venture to say that correctly cooling with air is harder than with water, as the latter consists basically out of hooking everything up in the right order and following the remaining instructions, whereas with air every system is pretty much unique.

I've noticed that most people go for the brute-force approach, i.e., many fans, high airflow rates and a lot of noise. Less known is that there's also a correct way to cool with air, which, unfortunately for some, requires a lot more time and knowledge/experience than just installing some tubing.
Please sir, enlighten me to the less known dark arts of low noise/high oc air cooling. And if water is oh so simple and not an art, why isn't your vote for water? Water cools better than air, is quiter than air, and, if I may say so, looks cooler than air when set up w/ dyes and UV lamps. Apart from the money and time investment of figuring out your ass from your elbow in setting a WC system up, there aren't a whole lot of drawbacks to water.

depends on what you're doing (duh)

for normal users that don't even check temps, air is the way to go..
however, i'd personally prefer water cooling in my rig. at the moment i don't have the time/money to get it, but maybe this summer.

Back