The UK Wants To Make An Olympics For eSports

HardOCP News

[H] News
Technically, don't we already an Olympics for eSports? It might be hard to lure away the top players in the world with gold medals when they are already out there raking in tons of cash. Unless the plan on letting professional players compete in the eOlympics.

The eGames is a tournament backed by the government which will invite players from around the world to compete at various challenges. The successful eAthlete (or eAthletes) will be eligible to win medals, although no prize money will be handed out, much like the real Olympic Games.

Every year the Olympic Games get stupider and stupider, not even worth watching.

I'm all for it as long as they include chess, go, and other competitive games.

Heck, put it on a computer screen if you want to call it "e".

Whomever coined the term "eAthletes" need beaten to death with a bag full of hammers.

I want Olympic Shakespearean Acting. How about Olympic Cat Brushing? Olympic jump-rope? Olympic Scabble?

All sports have some form of competition ( a winner or winning team). Not all forms of competition are sports. Sorry.

What's an eAthlete? is this Bizzaro world? We are actually using this term? :banghead:

I'd probably win the gold in the discipline of: Overweighted people playing WoW while eating Cheetos and drinking Mountain Dew...

NO.

This needs to stop. While many of these e-sports gamers are really talented at what they do and train many hours, it is NOT a sport.

NO.

This needs to stop. While many of these e-sports gamers are really talented at what they do and train many hours, it is NOT a sport.

It is, get over it. That ship has already sailed and continuing to rail against is accomplishes nothing positive for you. When people like Rick Fox are standing up and outright calling it a sport, you no longer have a valid argument against it.

That said, while I'm firmly in the support of eSports camp, even I agree the notion of eSports olympics is pointless and stupid.

It is, get over it. That ship has already sailed and continuing to rail against is accomplishes nothing positive for you. When people like Rick Fox are standing up and outright calling it a sport, you no longer have a valid argument against it.

That said, while I'm firmly in the support of eSports camp, even I agree the notion of eSports olympics is pointless and stupid.

Who the F is Rick Fox and why does anyone care what he thinks?

There's half an argument for using the term eSport. Fine. No argument for eAthlete. It is not a thing.

I think having a large scale competition based on video games is fine, but attempting to label them a sport seems like a stretch. Unless they are playing electronic version of actual sports games. Of course, I am apparently old enough I don't understand how watching people play video games on YouTube has become more popular than actually playing them one's self.

Who the F is Rick Fox and why does anyone care what he thinks?

A professional Athlete who has now bought an eSports team and has gone on record several times talking about it. Feel free to use this amazing thing called google and you will find he isn't the only one as Mark Cuban also has boarded this ship.

There's half an argument for using the term eSport. Fine. No argument for eAthlete. It is not a thing.

He said eSport and that is all I replied too. Neither of us said anything about eAthlete.

sports, athletes, esports, eathletes. While some people will get really upset about words changing definitions (in case you didn't know, this happens often in life) nothing is changing. You are having competitions between players or teams and people will pay to watch and sponsors will pay to host these events. No one in charge cares what it is called as long as there is money to be made from the event. Arguing what is or is not a sport is circular and opinion based. Many of these networks and hosts are looking to bring in newer younger sponsors to bring money to the table and going the route of video games as a sporting event is where the profit will be at. Does it really matter what it is called? Regardless of what the event is, we are all watching people better at this than us play a game for entertainment purposes.

Reactions: jtm55
like this
NO.

Its why its called esports, not a traditional sport.

sports, athletes, esports, eathletes. While some people will get really upset about words changing definitions (in case you didn't know, this happens often in life) nothing is changing. You are having competitions between players or teams and people will pay to watch and sponsors will pay to host these events. No one in charge cares what it is called as long as there is money to be made from the event. Arguing what is or is not a sport is circular and opinion based. Many of these networks and hosts are looking to bring in newer younger sponsors to bring money to the table and going the route of video games as a sporting event is where the profit will be at. Does it really matter what it is called? Regardless of what the event is, we are all watching people better at this than us play a game for entertainment purposes.

This.

id say let them do it, Its not like its in the same division its "E"Sports not "Sports" so you respect the difference.

I think having a large scale competition based on video games is fine, but attempting to label them a sport seems like a stretch. Unless they are playing electronic version of actual sports games. Of course, I am apparently old enough I don't understand how watching people play video games on YouTube has become more popular than actually playing them one's self.

image.jpg

For me its not the game they are playing but the people playing them. Their commentary and reactions are what make it enjoyable

For me its not the game they are playing but the people playing them. Their commentary and reactions are what make it enjoyable

Exactly, it is just entertainment. Not everyone likes to watch the same things for the same reasons. A good personality is fun to watch more than the game, usually just listen to them for me.

What's an eAthlete? is this Bizzaro world? We are actually using this term? :banghead:

I watched the documentary Free To Play and it was interesting, and having (casually) played the game they focus on I was able to understand the significance. That being said though, despite their skills to play that well, every single player they focused on has a fucked up shitty life, that I was not jealous of for 1 second. Buts that's what gave them the ability (and/or desire) to get so heavy into gaming.

image.jpg

Point taken. I suppose it seems so odd to me because adulting has consumed 98% of the time I used to devote to video games, so any time I waste will be on my own terms, instead of watching how someone else wastes theirs. But I stick by my semantic argument about the esports moniker. I recognize it as a valid option for entertainment, but still not a sport. Like cheerleading.

Ethletes, they should also have official E-Nascar, E-F1, E-GP etc for E-Racers.

Pretty much already do. iRacing being one of the bigger ones - many professional drivers (including Nascar, F1, etc.) play, as well as amateur racers (several members on [H] that race in endurance races).

Back