The truth about Brothers In Arms

SayItWithSlugs

Limp Gawd
- It's a much better WW2 game than COD.

- BIA sounds and feels more like WW2 is portrayed on films such as Band Of Brothers than any other WW2 game. The guns and explosions sound incredible. Battles can test your nerves.

- Some people on here have said that you cant hit enemies behind cover. That is BS. You dont have problems hitting enemies, and targeting isnt as bad as people say. It's true you cant mow every kraut down, but you dont have to flank every single enemy either. Good ole' sharp shooting works to.

- The voice acting is top knotch. The swearing and BS'ing your guys do is great fun. "So were supposed to kill them all before breakfast. What do you suppose krauts eat for breakfast. Sausage? Toast?....... A cold glass of blood?."

- It's the best War game ever made. I'm just sorry it's about to end.

Wow. How many folks who have played BiA would agree? I know CoD was more than just an MoH rip, but I was already dead tired of that. If the indication I'm getting that BiA has different gameplay than a traditional point and click shooter, I will seriosly have to check this out.

BiA is definitely great, and they included some nice extras, such as a black and white mode (ala classic war movies.)

Go buy it.

I for one did not like it. It felt very clumsy. The aiming is horrilbe and the firing is even worse. As a strategic game it is kool but as a FPS it is not. It takes quite a few bullets to hit a target and if they are behind cover it takes even more. I for one have not played much of it and prob wont. Just my two cents on the game. But to each his own.

JEEVES

the targetting and hitzones are pathetic

i read there was a patch already that fixes this flaw

BiA is a good game.

Not more than that.

Both have their positives and negatives, but CoD, at the end of the day, prevails.

I agree with the first post. COD was great but it was too linear and felt like you are on a rail shooting targets.

As far as it being hard hitting enemies -- players have gotten used to snipe everything in games and then complain that the games are too easy or too short. BIA is finally a nice welcome to real combat simulation were things are not easy.

In real combat you don't have crosshairs and it is hard to hit anything, especially when you are under fire and scared of getting your ass shot so you keep your head down. And of course, it's hard to aim and pick of someone under cover when you have to keep your head down. Most kills at that time were done in close range after flanking maneuvers, not by sniping enemies off with a regular rifle. This game makes you excute kills that way and that is awesome.

IMO this is definitely the best combat game yet. The battles were intense and I loved every minute of it.

its a good game but can agree that the hitboxes need some work cause I stood infront of a guy aiming at his head and got 2 legs then one body shot. maybe it is factoring my breathe and steadyness for aiming. I duhno but its ok with me! I'd expect a mod shortly but I'm peeved at how some can slag it for anything else. its a great game and should pioneer the way for others like it. I wonder how many opinions are just skewed cause you're too use to the ease of other games and thier hitboxes. its about time it wasn't so easy....awp whores

its different than other games. i like it but i dont enjoy it as much as i did playing through mohaa the first time. The aiming does suck. its probably more realistic, but if it's so realistic then why does it take several clean shots to kill an enemy, they should make enemies take less bullets in deadly spots before they die IMO. the way they have enemies taking lots of damage and the aim being off isn't too bad, but it does suck away some of the fun feel of the game. This is one game that i enjoyed more on xbox than pc, but i've only played through the first 5 sections of each.

I like the 'hitboxes'. It's too easy to hill a guy after hitting him in the arm.

BIA gives you a little sense of accomplishment after winning a level.

Some of you people need to go back and play Unreal Tournament.

SayItWithSlugs said:
- It's a much better WW2 game than COD.

- BIA sounds and feels more like WW2 is portrayed on films such as Band Of Brothers than any other WW2 game. The guns and explosions sound incredible. Battles can test your nerves.

- It's the best War game ever made. I'm just sorry it's about to end.

Would be great if the game actually felt like a war... through the entire game theres never more then your 6 squad mates and the kruats on the screen, it never looks like its taking placing during a war... just small scrimishes...

COD atleast had a crap load of people on screen at once making it feel like I was in the middle of the war... It made me panic when I saw 30+ Kruats charging over a hill.

|MaguS| said:
Would be great if the game actually felt like a war... through the entire game theres never more then your 6 squad mates and the kruats on the screen, it never looks like its taking placing during a war... just small scrimishes...

That's what Normandy was. Break out a history book. "Decision in Normandy" by Carlo D'Este is pretty good.

COD atleast had a crap load of people on screen at once making it feel like I was in the middle of the war... It made me panic when I saw 30+ Kruats charging over a hill.

That was also complete fiction, made up by Infinity Ward for the sake of "holy crap" moments. Sorry, but the infinitely-spawning Germans got old real fast.

Personally, I panicked more when the Germans followed my flank in BiA than I ever did when a white-coated wave of Germans were coming at me in Cod:UO.

in other news, the most recent issue of PCgamer has a big article of cod2, tragically in alpha stages however =(

but, as far as BiA, i'm awaiting for it to come out a bit more, maybe wait till bargain bin days

HRslammR said:
in other news, the most recent issue of PCgamer has a big article of cod2, tragically in alpha stages however =(

Yep, Infinity Ward knows how to market--they released CoD2 images just before BiA hit the PC. It was a nice attempt at an ambush, but thankfully BiA is actually fun.

The sounds aren't that great. Granted with EAX enabled it does sound good but it introduces other problems, like no dialogue.

Where'd you find an EAX option? My Audio menu only has settings for the master volume.

NowhereMan said:
I agree with the first post. COD was great but it was too linear and felt like you are on a rail shooting targets.

Seriously, the whole game was scripted. You think COD seems realistic? Stand back and watch your squad members fight the enemy without you. They never make any progress, and they can get hit endless amounts of times without dying. It's just an illusion of teamwork. It might work for people who barge ahead quickly, but it quickly falls apart if you play slightly slower.

NowhereMan said:

As far as it being hard hitting enemies -- players have gotten used to snipe everything in games and then complain that the games are too easy or too short. BIA is finally a nice welcome to real combat simulation were things are not easy.

In real combat you don't have crosshairs and it is hard to hit anything, especially when you are under fire and scared of getting your ass shot so you keep your head down. And of course, it's hard to aim and pick of someone under cover when you have to keep your head down. Most kills at that time were done in close range after flanking maneuvers, not by sniping enemies off with a regular rifle. This game makes you excute kills that way and that is awesome.

IMO this is definitely the best combat game yet. The battles were intense and I loved every minute of it.

Exactly, shooting something with pinpoint accuracy in real life is very tough. Especialy in less than ideal conditions. Anybody who could was train as a sniper. I was actually excited when I saw that there was no crosshair, Games are finaly getting it real. Watch Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. They throw tons of ammunition at an enemy and kill hardly any if they're behind cover. Unlike in CoD you can't shoot at the top or their helmets at 50 yards and expect to hit it. Also guns have a little physics phenomenon called recoil. It is imposible to have pinpoint accuracy with a automatic rifle or when shooting a semi-automatic rifle quickly. The recoil moves the gun up and away from the target after every shot.

Terpfen said:
Where'd you find an EAX option? My Audio menu only has settings for the master volume.
Have to go into bia.ini and change it.

Eagle106 said:
Exactly, shooting something with pinpoint accuracy in real life is very tough. Especialy in less than ideal conditions. Anybody who could was train as a sniper. I was actually excited when I saw that there was no crosshair, Games are finaly getting it real. Watch Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. They throw tons of ammunition at an enemy and kill hardly any if they're behind cover. Unlike in CoD you can't shoot at the top or their helmets at 50 yards and expect to hit it. Also guns have a little physics phenomenon called recoil. It is imposible to have pinpoint accuracy with a automatic rifle or when shooting a semi-automatic rifle quickly. The recoil moves the gun up and away from the target after every shot.

Exactly...

I know those guys were trained well, but damn, they had to be scared to death.

Firing a Garand on an open shooting range is a bit different than firing one when you have bullets whizzing by, and potatoe mashers bouncing off your mellon.

I really hate the "it's more real" argument. I don't like CoD because it seems real. I like CoD because it is fun. I don't care if hundreds of people running over a hill actually happened or not. All I know is it was sure as hell fun when I played it. Oh, and the CoD MP was really pretty good too.

I haven't tried BiA yet but it looks interesting. Might give it a shot.

First let me say that COD ranks on my top 5 games ever. I still love to play it. However, I think that finally we have a game that took the greatness of COD a step further, and that’s a great thing because personally, I am tired of COD clones.

What’s different? In BiA you cannot reside to just sniping enemies when you are in a bind like COD (that’s the “arcade way” to play a game which is getting old and lame). Also, COD feels too scripted and the battles are laid out the way the developers want you to play them. Step outside of some invisible line and you are mysteriously blown up. A lot of hand-holding if you ask me.

BiA actually makes you fight the battles your own way. There are no magic healing bandages lying around so you fret every shot that you take. The enemy is much harder to kill and that makes you run from cover to cover in order to flank the enemy as you have your squads laying suppressing fire. When you eventually do end up popping behind the enemy and take them out in close range, it is so much satisfying than anything that I have ever done in COD. That, in my book, is what intensity is all about.

NowhereMan said:
First let me say that COD ranks on my top 5 games ever. I still love to play it. However, I think that finally we have a game that took the greatness of COD a step further, and that’s a great thing because personally, I am tired of COD clones.

What’s different? In BiA you cannot reside to just sniping enemies when you are in a bind like COD (that’s the “arcade way” to play a game which is getting old and lame). Also, COD feels too scripted and the battles are laid out the way the developers want you to play them. Step outside of some invisible line and you are mysteriously blown up. A lot of hand-holding if you ask me.

BiA actually makes you fight the battles your own way. There are no magic healing bandages lying around so you fret every shot that you take. The enemy is much harder to kill and that makes you run from cover to cover in order to flank the enemy as you have your squads laying suppressing fire. When you eventually do end up popping behind the enemy and take them out in close range, it is so much satisfying than anything that I have ever done in COD. That, in my book, is what intensity is all about.

amen brother. i feel the same way about both games. both have their place in my collection. they are both great in their own respect.

far into it I must conclude that anyone bitching about the hitboxes and etc are just so skewed from previous fps's. the words awp whore come to mind. I'd love to see a demo of the bitching cause the shooting does take time to get use to and I bet most are complaining when they just aren't use to a realistic approach. kudos to the coders!

gr8 game and gr8 realism! stop bitching and get coding! nuff said!

Uhh, so tell me why the scoped rifle doesn't sway NEARLY as much as the garand and such? that makes no sense, the scope would be more noticeable to sway then using the iron sights.

Stiler said:
Uhh, so tell me why the scoped rifle doesn't sway NEARLY as much as the garand and such? that makes no sense, the scope would be more noticeable to sway then using the iron sights.

Gameplay purposes. Baker isn't trained as a sniper, and neither are you, so they made the Springfield 1903 easier to handle than the M1 Garand.

Stiler said:

You are exactly right. The game is inconsistent with it's self proclaimed Realism.

But we'll get thrown into the AWP Whoring crowd becasuse we disagree.:rolleyes:

Terpfen said:
Gameplay purposes. Baker isn't trained as a sniper, and neither are you, so they made the Springfield 1903 easier to handle than the M1 Garand.

.....so why again, is the garand so swayable? these guys were TRAINED to use the blasted gun, they didn't have poor aim.

I agree there should be SOME sway, but no where near what it is, it's not realistic to have all that sway on a garand and then almost none on a freaking scoped gun.

Stiler said:
.....so why again, is the garand so swayable? these guys were TRAINED to use the blasted gun, they didn't have poor aim.

No matter how accurate a weapon and how trained a solider is, it is extremely hard to aim when you are under enemy fire. When you play a video game you are not afraid of being hit so you take your time to aim. In real close combat you have no time to line up a good shot.

And again, this is not a sniping game. The accuracy was probably turned down to enforce players to use squad tactics. If you don't like it then don't play it.

NowhereMan said:
No matter how accurate a weapon and how trained a solider is, it is extremely hard to aim when you are under enemy fire. When you play a video game you are not afraid of being hit so you take your time to aim. In real close combat you have no time to line up a good shot.

And again, this is not a sniping game. The accuracy was probably turned down to enforce players to use squad tactics. If you don't like it then don't play it.

Please don't try to be-little me. I advise you to read some good WWII books, and stories from soldiers themselves.

I wasn't expecting a sniping game, I was expecting a realistic game, moreso then moh/cod and the other crap we've got that is just pure arcade.

I like squad tactics, but as a trained soldier , even when NOT under fire i'd expect to have the aim of that higher then a 10yr old on riddlin.

"I like squad tactics, but as a trained soldier , even when NOT under fire i'd expect to have the aim of that higher then a 10yr old on riddlin."

LOL

Stiler said:
I like squad tactics, but as a trained soldier , even when NOT under fire i'd expect to have the aim of that higher then a 10yr old on riddlin.

Thems are big words, but I'd like to see you try to hit anything in real life while being shot at. Real combat is not a hollywood blockbuster.

I love these arguments. :rolleyes:

Unless you personaly have been "under fire" then STFU. This is a game not a simulation. If you want realism go join up. If you want to play a game then STFU and play. If you dont like a game then give your techincal reasons and then STFU. But this "I know more about realistic war situation then you" has got to stop. None of you know more than the other armchair commando so stop pretending you do.

JEEVES

Im not liking it nearly as much as COD at the moment, but then again ive been playing the Xbox version. Guess ill have to give the PC version a try.

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
I love these arguments. :rolleyes:

Unless you personaly have been "under fire" then STFU. This is a game not a simulation. If you want realism go join up. If you want to play a game then STFU and play. If you dont like a game then give your techincal reasons and then STFU. But this "I know more about realistic war situation then you" has got to stop. None of you know more than the other armchair commando so stop pretending you do.

JEEVES

Well actually, I have been under fire in real combat so I am talking from experience.

Here is the scoop: real combat is not a video game or a Rambo movie. When you are being shot at you keep your ass down, you supress and you flank. Most kills end up at pretty close range. Oh, and forget about headshots unless you get lucky -- in real combat you aim for the chest area, not for the head.

Stiler said:

To simultaneously emulate the real weight of the weapon and to force you to use your squads effectively. The proper way to play BiA involves you letting your squad get most of the kills.

I agree there should be SOME sway, but no where near what it is, it's not realistic to have all that sway on a garand and then almost none on a freaking scoped gun.

They had gameplay reasons in mind, not realistic reasons.

The sway is actually more athentic than you think. When your standing up while holding a rifle many things can make it sway. Your breathing, your heart rate, trembling of muscles (these guns were well over 12 pounds. not the super light guns and small calibers of today), and the wind all can make the gun sway the tinest bit which can mean several inches at 20 or so yards.

ok, after playing bia, i can say it sucks....the aiming is horrendous, it's sorta like a rpg game where probability is a factor if they are behind cover regardless how exposed they are or how u have ur sights on target....even if you are mere feet away from them and the have their legs covered but u are aiming directly at their torso....also there is only one strategic point to the game and that is to flank...that is pretty much how u get thru every point in the game....of course i could be wrong since i played only a few chapters or levels

people will have that lame realism argument if that is what they call the poor aiming...but it just seems so much faker that ur aim probability will be lessened if they are behind ANY sort of cover....so many time i was crouching and the guy's upper torso was exposed but it doesn't count because he had "cover" on his legs...this rpg type aim probability percentage is what turns me off

Back