The time has finally come to replace my good ole Linksys WRT router.

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
I've always loved my WRT (can't remember the exact model) Linksys router mainly because I keep on having to unplug the router at least once a week. otherwise it stops working. I will miss this type of router mainly because it has the dual antenna design that I don't see too much on today's wireless routers.

so I'm asking for any suggestions on what I should get? I've been out of the whole computer scene for over five years so I haven't kept up on my computer tech. so I need to know what's a good, wireless router that's going to give me 99% uptime along with great range.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1226866&page=46

I'll drop this right here ..

Untitled.jpg

believe it or not, I already saw that. I skimmed through the last ten pages or so but I didn't like what I saw.

so I figured I'd get some FRESH suggestions in here.

after reading a lot in that sticky thread, and also doing a lot of research on smallnetbuilder.com i found a Netgear WNDR 3700 v1 on ebay for $50 that completely blows away my old WRT as well as the DLink that replaced it....this WNDR3700 is beast for the money

i actually went out of my way to buy a used v1 over a new v2 or v3 because the original v1 had superior hardware and has full DDWRT compatibility. It works so good out of the box I didn't even bother with the DDWRT.....

believe it or not, I already saw that. I skimmed through the last ten pages or so but I didn't like what I saw.

so I figured I'd get some FRESH suggestions in here.

WELL! You could post some requirements ?

Price ?
Speed ?
Port's needed gig or 10/100
How many ports.
What it need's to do for you, what you will put it through..

I just want something similar to what I have. I'm not someone that's running any super high tech equipment. I just want something that's going to give me great service just like my WRT router has been doing for the past God only knows how may years.

price isn't a big deal as long as I don't have to screw with anything for a long time.

I just want something similar to what I have. I'm not someone that's running any super high tech equipment. I just want something that's going to give me great service just like my WRT router has been doing for the past God only knows how may years.

price isn't a big deal as long as I don't have to screw with anything for a long time.

I'm telling you, the Netgear WNDR 3700/3800 series are beast. Also commonly suggested in that price range and feature set are the Linksys E4200 and it's siblings.

Honestly, any of those are in the $100~$150 kind of range and with Giga wired and Wireless N Dual Band it's kind of an easy upgrade, plus from a connection reliability standpoint they appear to be much better.

I used to have to reset my WRT from time to time, but my Netgear is solid even with hammering it with a house full of stuff.

I'll +1 on the WNDR3700. I'd never used anything other than Linksys prior but Netgear won me over with this brute.

I've got DD-WRT on mine and I'm pretty happy. The only router in my house I prefer more is my Cisco 3725 :)

I'll +1 on the WNDR3700. I'd never used anything other than Linksys prior but Netgear won me over with this brute.

I've got DD-WRT on mine and I'm pretty happy. The only router in my house I prefer more is my Cisco 3725 :)

I checked Newegg's user reviews and there's a lot of people that don't have good things to say about that router.

I checked Newegg's user reviews and there's a lot of people that don't have good things to say about that router.

which one? the WNDR3700 has pretty good reviews, like i said, use smallnetbuilder.com as a resource, look at the benchmark performance charts as well as user reviews there....much more reliable than newegg in terms of reviews coming from a better crowd

notice there are three hardware revisions of this router, you look at reviews for people who received a v1 or v2 and you see mostly good reviews, the v3 started to drop off because they changed to a Broadcom chipset where the v1 and v2 were Atheros chipset based, which is a superior chipset, that's why i bought a used v1 on ebay

1 big word....

Asus RT-N66U is what you ought to consider!

This thing is a signal cannon. I use it as an Access port behind my Cisco 1921 router.

Back