The time for RESOLUTION has arrived!!

BillR

Born Again Cynic
Ok, leave us call and end to the decent, anger, angst and mindless childish bickering and let’s do it today.

There is an absolute need for two teams. Yes, a guy or gal with a very old box can turn out one, maybe two work units per month folding, but the cost of those points power wise makes absolutely no sense.

I don’t know about all of you and don’t for a moment pretend to think I do, but my own personal situation is such that I am limited to only a few machines and I built them to fold. As previously stated, Folding is my thing.

Now, as I look over the voting it is clear that nothing is very clear at all. So, let’s make this simple and painless.

Folders, I ask you, please continue to fold, it’s your gear and your choice and quite honestly Folding is and has been the core of our DC projects.

UD folk, it appears after much testing on older machines of mine that by going with WCG you too will be not only productive but now you will have a choice of four projects that will allow you to tailor one or all your machines as YOU see fit and all production results remains in the public domain. The client is an easy change over and should fit your needs perfectly.

Folders, those of you who would like to switch to WCG that is of course entirely up to you.

Either way I don’t see this as coming out as anything but a win win for the whole team.

King is confident he can bring the various projects of WCG into the stats although with the different projects the recode will take a bit of time.

I too was sad to see UD go away, so many of you had so much involvement in the project and nobody likes to think their work was for naught. In your case it wasn’t, the project simply ended. I don’t see that happening with WCG as too much big name money is behind it lending support.

My overall intent here is NOT to tell you want to do, so don’t take it that way, please.

I feel strongly this is at least a place to start, or better yet, restart.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and let us get out act together like the adults we are.

Thanks,

Bill

Well said... I already commented how the poll is useless. Why asking the ppl to decide when it's easier to just add the WCG project for X months, see how much ppl join and ponder if it is a worthy project or not ? If there is lack of participation, just toss it out and be done.

I'm also in favor of adding WCG as a 2nd project due to the similar nature of the project to UD and the choice of projects.

I feel the same way. A second project is a must. I wasn't sure about that this last weekend, but over the last few days I can see it's needed for the older computers. And as an option to those that can't, or wont run F@H.

This whole thing reminds me of the Bush /Gore election...there was a clear winer..but some people just could not admit it.

They are your boxes, do whatever you want with them.
After reading all this crap over the last few days, I know what I'm gonna do with mine.

This whole thing reminds me of the Bush /Gore election...there was a clear winer..but some people just could not admit it.

They are your boxes, do whatever you want with them.
After reading all this crap over the last few days, I know what I'm gonna do with mine.

Fold them under my name? :D

Thanks BillR that print was easy on my eyes!!!

I agree completely. I'm just going to keep on folding. I have only three boxes and am upgrading them to run with dual cores.......so far the SMP has been kinda frustrating, but that's another story......

If people want to do another deal, that's great.....just keep folding!:D

Thanks BillR that print was easy on my eyes!!!

I agree completely. I'm just going to keep on folding. I have only three boxes and am upgrading them to run with dual cores.......so far the SMP has been kinda frustrating, but that's another story......

If people want to do another deal, that's great.....just keep folding!:D

Exactly the point I have been trying so hard to make.

It makes no sense to me to try to tell someone with an XP-2000 or Celery 2.5 that they have to fold because the Team says they do. Those people put in that position will simply take their hardware and go do whatever project they wish, as they should be able to do.

I would much rather keep the whole team strong and yes, diverse, and having everyone with a common goal, “The Cure”.

It is no individual’s place to tell anyone what to do with their computers. What I did was investigate what looks to be the simplest best solution to the problem and propose it as an alternative to the one team only option which in the end will do nothing more then alienate many good people.

The alienation of members of the forum or the teams is not a goal for crying out loud it’s a prescription for looking stupid for taking the biggest team ever and making is mean nothing.

Those of you totally opposed to two teams, please rethink and reconsider your position. The fact is nothing will change from where it was before UD shut down so what do you have to lose?

This team was formed out of independence; please continue to allow it to grow from the same momentum.:)

This is what I was waiting to see. Leave it to my good friend BillR to bring some thought and sense back to the forum. The team needs more than one project. F@H doesn't work for everyone for whatever reason. For some it is firewall issues, others have older hardware that do not produce enough to make it worthwhile to run. For others it is hard feelings about issues with Stanford in the past. If the team only recognizes F@H it will put bad taste in the mouth of people who cannot or will not run F@H. That could result in even more people leaving the team. I think that we have lost enough people recently and need to do what it takes to stop this.

Besides, I would like to see the team to take number 1 in more than one project. from what I see when I look at the stats, the [H] could stop running F@H for a month or more and not have to worry about losing number 1. Surely there is room here to have more than one official project.

I don't post or even come here much anymore. This is something I need to change. I am not producing at the moment because I do not have an internet connection at home. Hopefully this will change shortly. Time Warner took area over from Adelphia and is running new lines. Hopefully they will add one down road I live on. I am looking forward to getting back into forums more and running a project again. On that note,

Go Horde!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with BillR's statement.

If King_N (or someone else) is willing to spend time adding a second project to [H]folding, why should there not be two official projects?

Agreed!

Now.... make it so! :) I've been looking forward to an excuse to see how the BAM thing works for account management of BOINC clients. In theory I can move all my boxen from R@H to WCG with a few simple clicks!

So what team name and number do we use for WCG ? I have three older boxen that I was going to change to UD when the Linux client came out, so now they are going to go to WCG. Just want to make sure we get the points for the [H]orde.

So what team name and number do we use for WCG ? I have three older boxen that I was going to change to UD when the Linux client came out, so now they are going to go to WCG. Just want to make sure we get the points for the [H]orde.

I believe there are 3 unofficial teams so we need to look if we can merge them and make one official team.

Another thought is team name for WCG. There are currently 3 HardOCP teams that are actively running on WCG:

HardOCP with 64 active members (69 active/retired) and overall point rank (362).
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BP5XNJBR9N1
[H]ard|OCP with 1 active member (1 active/retired) and overall point rank (12,886).
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=D85RSMBR9N1
[H}ardOCP with 5 active members (5 active/retire) and overall point rank (11,646).
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=PL5XNJBR9N1

No reason to have three teams running, even if things haven't been hammered out.

Interesting point, again this is only a suggestion but common sense tells me the top team, as you have them listed already has over 5 million points in the bank already. Although I’d like to see the “[H]” used instead of the “H” it just doesn’t make sense to dump the already larger team just to add the brackets.

That said it would only leave the fewest members of the other two teams to make a change.

So to me it looks like HardOCP would be the logical choice.;)

Interesting point, again this is only a suggestion but common sense tells me the top team, as you have them listed already has over 5 million points in the bank already. Although I’d like to see the “[H]” used instead of the “H” it just doesn’t make sense to dump the already larger team just to add the brackets.

That said it would only leave the fewest members of the other two teams to make a change.

So to me it looks like HardOCP would be the logical choice.;)

The question I already asked and I will ask again is : Can we do something like contact them to make the teams being merged as one official since the HardOCP name is copyrighted ? If yes, we can do this and if they refuse to merge the 3, then just pick the top one, rename then leave the 2 other as unofficial.

From the WCG help section :

How can I change my team name, description, or URL?
Team name, description, and URL can only be changed by the team captain. To change this information, sign in to My Grid, select My Team from the left menu. From the My Team page, select Edit. On the Edit Your Team page, make the changes and press Save.

The 2nd team is led by King_N so it's easy but the 2 other is a bit harder unless we can track the user name from the forum name.

The big team's captain hasn't returned a result in 2 years. I will see what is possible.

I posted this in their forums:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=13389&lastpage=yes

Otherwise, King_N is the only active captain of the 3 teams, so he may have more tools at his disposal.

Regardless of whether we go for a second team (I voted no), we should resolve this mess at WCG regarding multiple team names.

Hito many of those old names no doubt came from “back in the day” and some of the new ones seem to be people who switched before the team did or went out on their own.

Xilikon, like Hito feel free to contact those you can, double check their forums and see who might be active there as well as here. As all those listed teams go back to 2004 there will no doubt be a number of un-contactable people but lets see what we can do.

Make sense?:)

I'm not worried about tracking down people. I'm trying to get the 3 teams merged into one. Different issues. But I understand what you are saying.

I'm not worried about tracking down people. I'm trying to get the 3 teams merged into one. Different issues. But I understand what you are saying.

I understand exactly what you are getting at,, I'll talk to King and see if he has any contacts overt there. I know points can't be moved, but I can't see why we can't change a captin.

After making a fool of myself on their forums....I have always had trouble registering gray as a hyperlink color (see forum for context)..... I have an e-mail into them about the issue. Hopefully I get a response.

After making a fool of myself on their forums....I have always had trouble registering gray as a hyperlink color (see forum for context)..... I have an e-mail into them about the issue. Hopefully I get a response.

Thanks Hito

I think we are making progress;)

There was a similar issue with the UD team way back when. They were able to change the captain to King. I cannot recall if they were able to move any points, but somehow I doubt it. That would be a lot of trouble for some database analyst at their HQ. Probably overtime, and the odds go down as soon as OT kicks in! ;)

There was a similar issue with the UD team way back when. They were able to change the captain to King. I cannot recall if they were able to move any points, but somehow I doubt it. That would be a lot of trouble for some database analyst at their HQ. Probably overtime, and the odds go down as soon as OT kicks in! ;)

I realize they will never change the points, just as Stanford won't. I do think a small change like team captain might be possible. Let's hope so.

I realize they will never change the points, just as Stanford won't. I do think a small change like team captain might be possible. Let's hope so.

I think a captain change on the biggest team and maybe a renaming would be sufficient. We can afford to lose a few thousands when we know that a influx of new boxes will fill the gap in a few days.

If we can change the leader of the first them, then the leader will be able to rename the team himself at will. Since King_N is already leader of the 2nd one, and the 3rd one doesn't interest us, it's pretty simple.

EDIT : Here on the forums, his name is tattoopierced1 and 98% of his posts is in FS/FT. His last post is january 25th 2006 so he is long inactive.

I received a response from WCG:

Hello ---,

Unfortunately we do not combine team statistics or member statistics. Regarding an inactive team captain, yes, let me know which team, and we will contact the team captain. If he/she does not respond within 30 days we can replace the captain with an active member of his/her team.

Let me know which team and captain are inactive.

Thank you for participating.

Tedi
---------------------------------------------------------
World Community Grid

I replied that the HardOCP team captain was inactive. Looks like 30 days to respond. I suggest that the 3 active folders for the other 2 teams switch teams to be under HardOCP and that we will change the name when a new captain is assigned:
King_N[H]
brycejones
klockej

This will result in the least impact on active users.

I received a response from WCG:

I replied that the HardOCP team captain was inactive. Looks like 30 days to respond. I suggest that the 3 active folders for the other 2 teams switch teams to be under HardOCP and that we will change the name when a new captain is assigned:
King_N[H]
brycejones
klockej

This will result in the least impact on active users.

Yes, we have no much choice and this way will have the least impact indeed. contact King_N and ask him to move the users there to team #1 and close it. For the 3rd one, just try to steer ppl away from joining this and when we get a new leader, close it as well.

King_N[H] is a team unto himself so there is no need to move other members.

Thanks Bryce :)

edit: and klockej moved over, so practically everyone is folding under 1 one team for WCG. Woot. Now to wait for changing the name.

Yes. I hope WCG won't give you some trouble when the 30 days of inactivity is reached to change the leadership. When we change the leaders of the inactive team with the right name, we can swap the names so we are with the right one, the right team and the best amount of points.

Remain to see if King_N is ready to add the WCG stats on the site.

Yes. I hope WCG won't give you some trouble when the 30 days of inactivity is reached to change the leadership. When we change the leaders of the inactive team with the right name, we can swap the names so we are with the right one, the right team and the best amount of points.

Remain to see if King_N is ready to add the WCG stats on the site.

I believe King has the stats close to being fully coded. I'll prod (no, don't even go there) him a bit and see how he is doing. The man keeps even worse hours then I do.;)

So, are we officially going with WCG and the "HardOCP" team?
I've got my UD boxen awaiting a decision...

Fold on!

I believe that we are waiting to make sure that we can change the team captains etc with WCG before we make a final call. It would suck to have everyone move to team "x" and then have them tell us to piss off having to move everything again

I believe that we are waiting to make sure that we can change the team captains etc with WCG before we make a final call. It would suck to have everyone move to team "x" and then have them tell us to piss off having to move everything again

Yes and the wait is 30 days. Hito told them he want to change the team leaders on may 9th so we need to wait till june 9th before we can do anything.

For now, just fold for HardOCP. the other 2 teams has been moved to the first already and King_N is holding the right name.

I believe King has the stats close to being fully coded. I'll prod (no, don't even go there) him a bit and see how he is doing. The man keeps even worse hours then I do.;)

What do you mean "keeps worse hours"? That would indicate that at some point he stops. ;)

Yes and the wait is 30 days. Hito told them he want to change the team leaders on may 9th so we need to wait till june 9th before we can do anything.

For now, just fold for HardOCP. the other 2 teams has been moved to the first already and King_N is holding the right name.

Well if King already has the correct team then we should just fold under that team name and wait for the resolution of the other names. I just was a bit confused by the whole who had what team locked down and hated there to be confusion later on down the road.

And FLECOM all I need to do is find another 200 machines and I will catch up with you (PPD wise anyway :) ).. Hmmm still racking my brain on where to find 200 PCs :) I am in the process however of writing up a article about folding for our corporate newsletter and what it could possibly do for us (I work for a medical facility that works exclusivly with Mentally, Physically and Behavioral Disadvantaged clientele)..After that I will set up a installer for folks if they want to run this on their own PCs and possibly can get a corporate wide setup so there is always a chance :)

Back