The Thrill of The Fight (VR), testing on Radeon Nano

noko

Supreme [H]ardness
The Thrill of The Fight is an early access game with very high approval ratings:

While mostly you face off with either a training opponent or match opponent, this game comes alive in the Virtual World. You would not think that fighting the air while you are inside a virtual world would be remotely tough but let me tell you – by far this is the most physically intensive game I’ve have ever played. Five minutes of a fight and you will feel the burn. I am sure if I was transported back in time 50 years ago, and someone saw me fight the air, I would be locked up in a strait jacket and transported to the nearest insane asylum.

The developer uses Unity for this game and is only a one person project. He is very active in the forums, incorporates suggested changes rapidly. It is now at a very refine staged with good fighter responses, damage and feedback when you punch. While only striking air in the real reality, the virtual one your mind makes a pretty good interpretation that you are hitting a live opponent. The vibration, sound effects all play into this rather well.

System
The video below shows a Radeon Nano performance while OC to 1050mhz and with WattMan open showing settings and clock speeds. CPU is an I7 6700K OC to 4.4ghz on a Gigabyte GA-Z170N Gaming 5 motherboard with 16gb of Corsair Vengeance DDR 4 3000. Windows 10 Home 64bit and HTC Vive.

Frame Timing
The SteamVR Frame Timing window is shown to indicate if you are at the magic 90 FPS or using some form of Reprojection, ether Interleaved (AMD yet) or Asynchronous (AMD should support this in the next driver due this month, NVidia already supports). If you are at or under 11ms GPU you will be at 90 fps, if you see a red line going up and across on top and eventually down you are at 45fps for Interleaved Projection during that time. Async Projection you would see a red graph in the GPU area on the bottom height depending upon how much slower you are then 90 fps while the CPU graph would have a white graph running on the bottom as well.
In a nutshell:
  • These are all run at 90 fps or hz in the Vive or Rift headset
    • 90 fps no reprojection – Best you can get, smooth VR experience
    • Asynchronous Reprojection where head, controller movement is interpreted between frames – Can be OK at times
    • 45 fps – Interleaved Reprojection, each frame is rendered twice – Grab that bucket – You may need it – Jerky VR experience particularly if you are moving – very noticeable and immersion breaking
Gameplay
Basically I warmed up with the standing gentlemen who does not mind getting whack while telling me my meters/sec speed. Next I do a training round on Novice level so you can see better the fighter damage and responses. The damage does not show too much on this video, in game you will see bruising blood etc. (nothing to over the top).There are no real graphical settings at this time but it actually looks good once you enter the VR environment.

Summary: For $9.99 and if you want some real action or VR type fighting – try this game out – it is really a blast and a pretty good workout as well. For this title the Nano had no problem maintaining 90Fps for a very good smooth VR experience.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I use this one for my workouts at home. Oh yeah, you can feel the burn.

I like now that it has hardness levels, otherwise I was getting my ass whipped :LOL:.

Might be a little restrictive if your VR space is set for standing/sitting room only. Room scale setup would seem to work better for the game.

Great review, noko!
Why thank you. Aiming for less voice more action type videos where you can immediately see data/information vice wait for it. Will be experimenting with mixed reality combining the VR and the real together - should be some fun there as well.

Back