The Tesla-Killer Porsche Has To Build

I'm not sure why every car maker out there feels the need to go out of their way to make their cars looks completely retarded and out of the ordinary when it comes to electric cars.

Just keep the same style as the gas versions, and make it run on electricity...

A major variable to why people shy away from electric cars is because they're so damn ugly.

Just like some of the hardware that people on this site run. Some things are just targeted at different people. I've never spent more than 40K on a car, and that was actually for my wife's minivan :D None of my own cars, Porsches included have ever been over 18-20K (and most around half of that...) I'm definitely not the target for this concept. I'd be absolutely pushing it if I bought a new base model Carrera. My mortgage eats up most of my money. :(

it does but its pretty sweet and i generally wont like Porsches.

Keep in mind that's just the concept look, granted it's Chevy vs. Porsche, but this was the Chevy Volt concept, the one that got American muscle Prius hating people to get hard as all hell.
Chevy-Volt-Concept-07.jpg

And this is what came out, something that looks like every other 4d sedan Chevy put out
Vold-Prod.-Doubles-3-537x368.jpg

Just like some of the hardware that people on this site run. Some things are just targeted at different people. I've never spent more than 40K on a car, and that was actually for my wife's minivan :D None of my own cars, Porsches included have ever been over 18-20K (and most around half of that...) I'm definitely not the target for this concept. I'd be absolutely pushing it if I bought a new base model Carrera. My mortgage eats up most of my money. :(

I was on the edge of a 2014 GT3. Seeing the payments is a good alternative to making your hair stand on end with electricity :D

As an owner of the last 2 generations of the Porsche 911 Turbo I only have this to say.

The GOOD:
Porsche is very good at squeezing a LOT of power out of a tiny engine.
Porsche is very good at making a car with horrible engine placement handle very well.
Porsche has a beautiful classic design and heritage that's fun to talk about...

The BAD:
Porsche is terrible at servicing major issues (transmission, turbos, electronics)
Porsche warranty is the worst I've ever seen.

but I will never buy another one.

First, is your forum-name by any chance anything to do with "Lester the Nightfly"? Just curious.
Nope, got the idea from Donald Fagen's album of the same name. I've been a person who stays up all night pretty much since I was around 13. Tried to work days, but never felt normal doing that, and whenever I'm on vacation I resume my late afternoon until around 9 am awake time.
that said; I have a problem with a lot of car companies. There are some that can make great cars but make crap instead. Others get it right but price themselves out of the market. Still more feel the need to cripple a good inexpensive design to force people to upgrade to what the car could have been for the same price in the first place.
It's all insanity.
Surely Porsche realized the error of their design in the early sixties; they stopped the development of their rear engine racers and went with mid engine designs as their top designs from then on. But for some reason, they kept the rear engine street car. They designed a few mid engine street cars, but rather than market those wonderful cars aggressively, they kept pushing the 911 too. I realized why; the rear engine design appeals to men who like to demonstrate how manly they are by showing off that they are brave enough to drive a dangerous car, and how great a driver they are by driving something that's been proven to require very good driving skills to get the most out of it. Hence why you hear all the derogitory remarks about the Cayman and Boxter as girly cars. They're actually much better designs than any 911. But Porsche won't bite the hands that feed them, so if men want to continue to buy inferior products for more money, well then, Porsche will sell that to them. As far as selling ugly cars, I think it's part of the teutonic heritage with machinery. As long as it does what they want, they won't bother trying to make it look good. The 918 looks good but could have been better. Seems only Lamborghini and Maserati consistantly make great looking cars, but Ford is doing a good job with it's new GT, and the retro Mustang has looked pretty nice for the last 10 years too. Then they hired the guy who designed the Astons to design their compact. Nice move, Ford. Now if they can only get the Lincolns looking good.....

Forgot to add, re: the 'Lester the nightfly' reference. I just took the name off the album cover, I often don't pay attention to the lyrics of a song. I've found that a lot of people don't, as long as it sounds good. You hear little kids singing rap about killing and fu*king, girls about being called hoe's, nobody takes notice. I remember singing along to Pete Townshend's 'Rough Boys' and hadn't a clue for decades what the song was about, and when we read a little more about it, it was a little disturbing. Lyricists put all kinds of references into their songs that most listeners don't 'get'.

:D Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Big Steely Dan / Donald Fagen fan here actually. The lyric is "I'm Lester the nightfly, hello Baton Rouge..."

Anyway, disagree on a lot of your points, but cars are beyond subjective to the point of being like video cards, CPUs, game consoles etc. So... who cares? On my phone, so maybe I'll elaborate later. You have a point or two, but not all people who want to master something tricky are as you describe them. I actually enjoyed my learning process with my 911s. I don't feel I ever bragged about it. There's a lot to like. Most brands of car have flaws or idiosyncrasies. You adapt to them if you like it enough to make that worthwhile.

If you've never driven a 911 you might wonder why someone e would stick the engine of a sports car in the rear.
After you drive a 911 you wonder why they place them anywhere else.

However, 911s haven't been "dangerous" for a long time.

If you've never driven a 911 you might wonder why someone e would stick the engine of a sports car in the rear.
After you drive a 911 you wonder why they place them anywhere else.

However, 911s haven't been "dangerous" for a long time.

It does make a lot of sense to put the motor over (or at least near) the rear-end, because most 911s are rear wheel drive. Also, when cornering at speed it makes sense, unless you break at the wrong time, and then they do plow a bit, which is scary. :D For the most part though, it's exactly how it should be.

The newer ones are slightly more balanced front to back than the old ones, but honestly the old ones were fine too. I had a 72 911T, and it was totally natural after a fairly short time. I actually haven't driven a post-83 911, so I can't comment on them. I assume they're a bit easier to drive.

If you want something more balanced and easier to handle, there are the C4 series. More weight in the front, all wheel drive, etc.

Anyway...

It does make a lot of sense to put the motor over (or at least near) the rear-end, because most 911s are rear wheel drive. Also, when cornering at speed it makes sense, unless you break at the wrong time, and then they do plow a bit, which is scary. :D For the most part though, it's exactly how it should be.

The newer ones are slightly more balanced front to back than the old ones, but honestly the old ones were fine too. I had a 72 911T, and it was totally natural after a fairly short time. I actually haven't driven a post-83 911, so I can't comment on them. I assume they're a bit easier to drive.

If you want something more balanced and easier to handle, there are the C4 series. More weight in the front, all wheel drive, etc.

Anyway...

I meant brake above, not break. :D

Back