The Steam Box

xnikx

[H]ard|Gawd
Not my photos
a1AmDrD_700b.jpg

I watched some videos on youtube of people unboxing the steam box. Seems to be packaged very well :D

Looks like that guy got a GTX 780 in his, I think I've seen a couple with Titans in them too. I wonder how many different configurations they've built for this beta test.

I watched some videos on youtube of people unboxing the steam box. Seems to be packaged very well :D

Looks like that guy got a GTX 780 in his, I think I've seen a couple with Titans in them too. I wonder how many different configurations they've built for this beta test.

I'm more curious as to just how well that controller works and their built in driver support for other controllers. I'd want the standard KBM option, xbox360 controler (using a razer sabertooth now), arcade stick, racing wheel. The best thing about the PC has always been the choice of input devices.

I heard SEGA got to test the controller... so it "should" be good. Sega's made hands down the best gamepads over the years and is the god of arcade and amusement machine interfaces.

Also... rift support?

Pure awesomeness. Should Sony/MS/N be scared?

BUT, how did someone with such a crappy TV get this?!?!??

Applicants were chosen based on their involvement/contribution to the Steam community.

He is most likely a highly active community member and was selected as a result. It's possible that his ability to afford a nice TV is inversely related to the amount of time he has spent contributing to the Steam community. (lol)

No they shouldn't. Steam box is more costly than any off the shelf console. While using Linux gets them out of many performance issues that using Windows imposes crippling hardware, it still doesn't get them out of the fact that having to deal with multiple hardware configurations will cripple performance. So while faster than Windows, still will NEVER be able to use any of the hardware to the full potential.

Windows gaming is what's going to get fucked over by this. But I'm all for splintering and dividing the PC community to get a tad more performance.

the market that even knows about the steam box will not buy one. They already have their own custom built stuff taylored to their needs.

I just want the case, an ITX formfactor that fits a full sized GPU.

the market that even knows about the steam box will not buy one. They already have their own custom built stuff taylored to their needs.

I just want the case, an ITX formfactor that fits a full sized GPU.

Depending on how they price these I may purchase one to use as a Windows ITX pc.

4770k w/ a 780 in a form factor that small is pretty click. Who cares if it's intended for SteamOS.

Depending on how they price these I may purchase one to use as a Windows ITX pc.

4770k w/ a 780 in a form factor that small is pretty click. Who cares if it's intended for SteamOS.

Games are really the only reason for most people to bother with a Windows Desktop. Laptops and tablets are better for just about everything else. I'm not going to count CAD/editing because that's a different ball game and a small target.

The ability to ditch windows completely is nice for people. Many people hate dealing with it and only do so because they have to. Many game developers and hardware companies have been bitching for ages how much it kills performance, cripples hardware, and limits games. It's the boat anchor of gaming.

If you want to game, getting the fuck off Windows will do more than anything else. However the cost of these is too much for most people to spend on something that just plays games.

When a console can provide a decent amount of AA, SSAO/HBAO and do so at 1080p/50+fps, then I'll be interested. Until then, this has WAY more draw for me than the PS4 and Xbone.

I'm allergic to jaggies.

Games are really the only reason for most people to bother with a Windows Desktop. Laptops and tablets are better for just about everything else. I'm not going to count CAD/editing because that's a different ball game and a small target.

The ability to ditch windows completely is nice for people. Many people hate dealing with it and only do so because they have to. Many game developers and hardware companies have been bitching for ages how much it kills performance, cripples hardware, and limits games. It's the boat anchor of gaming.

If you want to game, getting the fuck off Windows will do more than anything else. However the cost of these is too much for most people to spend on something that just plays games.

All good points. I could always dual-boot so I still have access to those titles not on SteamOS (Anything by EA)

However the cost of these is too much for most people to spend on something that just plays games

Please don't invalidate the thousands I've spent :D

Unless Valve ( or whoever is going to be making these) get some cheap entry level machines in the 200$ range I don't see this really being a hit. PC gamers already have their PC. Console gamers have their console. They play on the Xbox because all of their friends do/ they like the exclusives (Halo,etc), and the same can be said for the PS3 to an extent. Now if Valve releases these with exclusives such as Half-life 3 or Left4Dead3, that only run on a 'Steam Box', then that could be a game changer. But I don't see Valve doing that.

I don't see it as a waste of money. However, I don't see it as being much beyond a really cool little PC. I'd go for the budget version of one (non-Titan or whatever) instead of building my PC.

No they shouldn't. Steam box is more costly than any off the shelf console. While using Linux gets them out of many performance issues that using Windows imposes crippling hardware, it still doesn't get them out of the fact that having to deal with multiple hardware configurations will cripple performance. So while faster than Windows, still will NEVER be able to use any of the hardware to the full potential.

Windows gaming is what's going to get fucked over by this. But I'm all for splintering and dividing the PC community to get a tad more performance.

Newsflash: It was Microsoft that consciously "fucked over" Windows gaming by overreacting to the decline of PC sales and going full speed tabletville prematurely, way before Valve announced SteamOS. This is just Valve's hedging strategy for its longterm survival.

And its not about dividing the PC community for a tad more performance - its about the Android-fication of the living room computing/entertainment unit now dominated by locked down, walledgarden, subscription fee'd Xbox & Playstation. A console that plays mods will be a good thing, and if Microsoft wants to retain PC gaming they're going to have to fight for it instead of status quo complacency and coasting on the momentum created by third parties like Valve that arguably saved PC gaming with Steam in the first place.

Last edited:
I will just stick to my PC. I'll be happy scrounging around for sales on hardware I want, and load it onto my PC. I don't like the look of the controller, since I have a laptop table in my living room to put my wireless mouse and keyboard onto it. I also don't want to be locked into a single marketplace, which is hypocrtical of Valve, since that's what they bitched about in regards to Windows 8.

I really want one of those cases. Anyone know of any similar cases out there?
None that you can buy by themselves. However, it may be a form factor that we start to see more if them in the enthusiast market. It has its limitations that can be costly to overcome.

But I totally agree, I love the layout.

I don't see how a cube/SG05 is anything like the slim layout of the Steambox...

I don't see how your post can be a worthy addition to this thread. Key word "Similar".

They both use Mini ITX for factors, they both can take discrete video cards, they both are black and have 2 usb 3.0 ports in the front. They both also have holes in the top and side for ventilation. Again, Similar. Also , its actually a rectangle not a cube.

Last edited:
I was looking more at functionality and cooling rather than form. But if you want to buy age old Desktop boxes that don't provide proper cooling out of the box then by all means.:eek:

You could probably just gut and mod an old VCR.

I was looking more at functionality and cooling rather than form. But if you want to buy age old Desktop boxes that don't provide proper cooling out of the box then by all means.:eek:

You could probably just gut and mod an old VCR.

You'd end up with a home made Xbox One.

So, what games actually run on this? will Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex, Kerbal Space program, Crysis 2, Mirror's Edge, Age of Empires II HD or Sonic All Stars Racing work?

That's a scatter-shot of different titles that should cover quite a few demographics: it's also the list of games I play regularly on Steam. Do these fairly mainstream titles run on Linux/OpenGL? Last I checked the Linux list of games really only includes Indy or niche games.

Honestly, if its only 2D or Unity independent games, what is the point of that 780?

So, what games actually run on this? will Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex, Kerbal Space program, Crysis 2, Mirror's Edge, Age of Empires II HD or Sonic All Stars Racing work?

That's a scatter-shot of different titles that should cover quite a few demographics: it's also the list of games I play regularly on Steam. Do these fairly mainstream titles run on Linux/OpenGL? Last I checked the Linux list of games really only includes Indy or niche games.

Honestly, if its only 2D or Unity independent games, what is the point of that 780?

Apparently CES 2014 is where Valve will reveal their hardware and software partners for the Steam Machine. We should get a much clearer picture on how well support for the platform will be then.

Apparently CES 2014 is where Valve will reveal their hardware and software partners for the Steam Machine. We should get a much clearer picture on how well support for the platform will be then.

And for me, that will be the deciding moment. If they SHOW working games from AAA franchises, and games that aren't 3 years old, on SteamOS I will be impressed and tempted. I also want to see some kind of buy-in from AMD and Nvidia. IF the games are there but the driver support is not, then I don't care.

If there's both, then this has a chance.

A rectangle is a two-dimensional object. It clearly cannot be a rectangle. It is, however, a rectangular cuboid.
Plus, I think the vast majority consider that style case a cube. Come on Krenum, you're an "artist", don't you know what "cubism" is? ;) (kidding, don't cry)
480px-Jean_Metzinger%2C_1911-12%2C_La_Femme_au_Cheval_-_The_Rider.jpg

Back