The state of the SSD market.

Ultima99

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,

We've have the Samsung 950 Pro for some time now and I'm wondering if any of you have found newer worthy competitors or if this is still the solid go to for high performance SSD's.

OCZ/Toshiba have the RD400 and the Intel 750 of course. Personally I've found my 850 Pro and RAPID to be more than enough. I just can't bring myself to pay for the premium on these NVME drives for desktops. What do you use yours for?

I had a P3700 at work that is godlike. Booted 24 Server 2012 R2 VMs at one time just because and they all fired up scary close in time to a single VM starting. Fired up a copy of a 1 TB SAP ERP instance on it and saw it do amazing things with some tables that are 60+ GB a piece. More than 100,000 tables in that database and it performed so good. If a 750 is anything close to that thing you just couldn't go wrong with it.

What do I want a fast SSD for? Ultra high performance desktop use at home. Because [H] :)

I have decided to go NVMe for my upcoming gaming computer. Mainly to be able to ditch the cables.

I chose M.2 because it is a much neater setup without the need for add-in cards in the PCIe slots.

Back