The State of the PS4 today.

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So, my PS3 went bad. I got the RLOD. Took it apart to try and fix it and no good. I have the original fat 20gb PS3 model from when the PS3 launched and I love it because it's b/w compatible with PS1 to PS3 games. I had the YLOD years ago and paid Sony $150 to fix it. I am going to buy another launch PS3 eventually but there are really no PS3 games i'm looking forward to and I don't feel like repairing the PS3 again. I held off on buying Last of US and GTA5 because I saw they were making PS4 versions of them, so I think what i've decided to do is buy a PS4 instead of replacing the PS3. I'm going to maybe buy it some time before the end of the year.

But anyway, I was curious what the state of the PS4 is. Is it much better since launch with the firmware updates? What games are releasing by the end of the year that you are looking forward to?

Last edited:
Looking forward to The Last of Us, Driveclub, Diablo 3, and Destiny myself. Probably also going to picking up Infamous soon, haven't had a chance to yet.

Also looking forward Assassins Creed Unity, Shadow of Mordor, and GTA V. I'll be getting those on PC, but if you are console only they are certainly games to look at.

do you also play on the PC? then NO

are you only consoles and get your multiplats on your current PS3? yes.

theres really not much on the ps4, i should have probably waited. (currently have a ps3,pc,ps4)

In the long run, ps4 will be the better choice for exclusives like last gen if you play on PC as well.

I own all next gen consoles including the Wii U, which is also a good alternative as you will never see Nintendo games on anything other than a Nintendo system.

It's going to take a good 3-4 years for a decent library to come out just like the PS3 too about till 2009 till the system had some decent games to back it up.

Wii-U should be interesting =)

I've had a PS4 since launch and I'll be honest...I used it for about a month after release then didn't turn it back on until Infamous Second Son came out nearly 5 months later. Now it has been getting a lot more use due to the Destiny Beta and shortly TLOU Remastered (never played the original, sits in my backlog). But after those two games it'll be another month or two before its gets much attention again. The library of exclusives is just very limited for now.

Right now, if enjoy playing on console and don't have a PC then I'd say you'll like it. Same goes for the Xbox One.

Really the firmware updates haven't done anything other than add the video editor.

The PS4 has plenty of games, the problem is they are almost all third party games.

Must own titles right now is really only Infamous:SS.

That will probably be changing over the next 6 months with TLoU, Driveclub, GTA V, Destiny, and other games coming. The PS3 didn't take off until the big price drop and Uncharted 2. This generation we have a lot of cross gen titles so starting in 2015 I'd imagine we will get more monthly content.

It's just right now it's mostly 3rd party cross platform/generation games. The PS4 has the better versions but if you have a PC and game on that it's irrelevant.

And for whatever reason Knack has grown on me. I fuxking hated it at first but if you throw away the story and just focus on the platforming it's not bad. I wouldn't pay 60 for it but I would for 30.

It really needs firmware updates. Sony has been slow as shit with them. Only minor fixes here and there mostly. Microsoft is beating the shit out of them in the updates department. I can't fathom why Sony is taking so damn long. If Sony has any brains in its firmware management group they will steal Microsoft's beta program and start giving people an idea of whats next.

But that won't happen. Indie games are often the reason I even play my PS4 anymore. But some good stuff is coming.

I want to pick up a PS4 soon but I'm waiting for them to add DLNA support so I can get rid of my PS3 at the same time to help offset the cost.

The current state of PS4 inclines me to suggest buying a replacement PS3 first

It really needs firmware updates. Sony has been slow as sh*t with them.

But that won't happen. Indie games are often the reason I even play my PS4 anymore. But some good stuff is coming.

Sorry zamardii12, I don't mean to here interject with a question, but godmachine what type of updates does the PS4 need? I ask because it's an option Im considering. (Along with XBox One and building a gaming PC.)

Thanks.

If I go the PS4 route, here are some of the games that are on my Amazon "wish list". These games look pretty sick:

• Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, expected release date: October 7, 2014
• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, expected release date: NYE 2014
• TLOU, expected release date, July 29, 2014
• The Order: 1886, expected release date: February 20, 2015

The Order, IMO looks like it could have some serious potential as being a solid game. I hope the story line lives up to the hype that I've build for it. Time will tell.

I want to pick up a PS4 soon but I'm waiting for them to add DLNA support so I can get rid of my PS3 at the same time to help offset the cost.

That has been a big concern for me too, however I head that you can use Plex and the Ps4's apparently decent web browser to stream your content so perhaps that's a decent workaround but nowhere near as convenient as using the PS3 as a media server which is what i've been using it for since I finished TLOU months and months ago.

It's going to take a good 3-4 years for a decent library to come out just like the PS3 too about till 2009 till the system had some decent games to back it up.

Wii-U should be interesting =)

I already have the Wii-U. Been thinking of taking advantage of that Mario Kart 8 deal where you get a free game if you buy it now.

I think the library for the PS4 and Xbox One are pretty good considering it hasn't been out a year yet. For me its fine because I played all the titles I wanted to play on the PS3 and 360. So at this point for me there isn't anything left for me to play on the previous generation. So getting the next generation consoles is a no brainer, if I'm going to play new games I want them on the new hardware. I also loathe the Dualshock 3 controller, and I find the Dualshock 4 controller much better.

Granted I prefer the xbox one and probably the only game I'll get this year for my PS4 is Last of Us. I played the PS3 version and I loved the game. I would say its worth getting a PS4 for that since you never played it same goes for GTA 5 IMO.

As far as backward compatibility that is something you won't have at the moment. I hope in the future they make the PS1 games purchased on PSN compatible.

Sorry zamardii12, I don't mean to here interject with a question, but godmachine what type of updates does the PS4 need? I ask because it's an option Im considering. (Along with XBox One and building a gaming PC.)

Thanks.

The simple fact that Microsofts XBox One Bluray player is better and has more features than Sony's BDPlayer in the PS4 is pretty atrocious. Xbone is getting 3dplayback this week i believe and PS4 has no ETA on adding it. DLNA support is needed in both, badly

The simple fact that Microsofts XBox One Bluray player is better and has more features than Sony's BDPlayer in the PS4 is pretty atrocious. Xbone is getting 3dplayback this week i believe and PS4 has no ETA on adding it. DLNA support is needed in both, badly

Interesting. Thanks for answering that. It makes sense. I guess BD functionality isn't something that I need since I already have a blu-ray player. This will be strictly for gaming.

I have to ask, how is it better? Is it a physical difference or is it software based? Better AND has better features means it's physically better.

If you have a source I'd appreciate it. I was under the impression they were the same (sans firmware upgrades).

I have to ask, how is it better? Is it a physical difference or is it software based? Better AND has better features means it's physically better.

If you have a source I'd appreciate it. I was under the impression they were the same (sans firmware upgrades).

Before you two fight or fuck, its simple right now the Xbox one bluray player does work better and is more feature rich. Ive had Sony pictures movies that won't even load right now on PS4 that play perfect on Xbox one AND when we run into issues we submit error reports and holy shit guess what they get fixed because they are listening to the community and all of us beta testers. I wish Sony would do the same with the user base.

PS4 needs major OS improvements I love the system but right now their system software is way behind sure it feels fast because right now it doesn't do shit but play games and that's great but we still want and deserve more.

Before you two fight or fuck, its simple right now the Xbox one bluray player does work better and is more feature rich. Ive had Sony pictures movies that won't even load right now on PS4 that play perfect on Xbox one AND when we run into issues we submit error reports and holy shit guess what they get fixed because they are listening to the community and all of us beta testers. I wish Sony would do the same with the user base.

PS4 needs major OS improvements I love the system but right now their system software is way behind sure it feels fast because right now it doesn't do shit but play games and that's great but we still want and deserve more.

I agree with this. Sony needs to freaking wake up and see how fast Microsoft is responding to their customer base. Just because they have the lead right now doesn't mean they should get complacent. It kinda frustrates me actually just how slow they are rolling out updates.

I'm surprised they both didn't have them from the jump. About any Blu-Ray player 100 dollars and up or down comes with functioning 3D support. I mean yeah most people wouldn't use it as much as regular blu ray movies, but who doesn't want to have it after they spend 400+ dollars in their blu-ray player? I do.

DLNA and a ps4 media server client would be awesome to have as well. Good thing I still have my PS3 with ps media server client for internet video downloads.

Talk about a slow start, and we thought the Wii U was slow to start...go figure.

I find the PS4 very inconvenient. Wait 3 years guys. Then maybe it will be feature rich, because right now it's crippled imho.

That can all be addressed through software updates, his comment was very specific. I agree they are falling behind in OS updates and why I have no idea. It shouldn't take 8 months to get even one of these features. No one cared about the Share Factory.

Good news everyone, the PS4 just got another firmware update with zero information about what is in it. Yet another "improves stability of some software" :p

I don't think Sony realizes this stuff pisses people off. At the very least they could provide some release notes of what they fixed, or include small UI changes or improvements in the releases.

It works well enough for games & streaming. I've enjoyed playing inFamous: SS (nearing the end of the game now) & a little of Killzone Shadow Fall. I just bought Daylight, which looks really good. I'm hoping to be blown away by newer titles like The Order & Destiny.

I do want DLNA streaming, local music playback support, & interface themeing. Overall, it runs fast & games look great. Zero complaints about streaming as well.

Good news everyone, the PS4 just got another firmware update with zero information about what is in it. Yet another "improves stability of some software" :p

I don't think Sony realizes this stuff pisses people off. At the very least they could provide some release notes of what they fixed, or include small UI changes or improvements in the releases.

I love "that stability" :)

The mysterious updates have fixed a few things I noticed on my console. I just have no idea when they were fixed, which I find mildly frustrating. Few months ago, when I would turn off the PS4 it would very often crash or freeze while appearing to be off. I only knew this was happening because my TV still showed the HDMI connection as being active. If I waited long enough, it would snap out of it (or I just got sick of it and pulled the power). Since the last few updates, I haven't seen any new occurrences this problem.

Also I there were a few times when a second person would sign it and the original user's dashboard stopped working. Haven't seen this in a while either.

I would rather see positive confirmation that things were fixed, instead of noticing improvements because I am not longer getting pissy about the problems :p

So, my PS3 went bad. I got the RLOD. Took it apart to try and fix it and no good. I have the original fat 20gb PS3 model from when the PS3 launched and I love it because it's b/w compatible with PS1 to PS3 games. I had the YLOD years ago and paid Sony $150 to fix it. I am going to buy another launch PS3 eventually but there are really no PS3 games i'm looking forward to and I don't feel like repairing the PS3 again. I held off on buying Last of US and GTA5 because I saw they were making PS4 versions of them, so I think what i've decided to do is buy a PS4 instead of replacing the PS3. I'm going to maybe buy it some time before the end of the year.

But anyway, I was curious what the state of the PS4 is. Is it much better since launch with the firmware updates? What games are releasing by the end of the year that you are looking forward to?

So here is my take on this whole issue. If you are interested in information on whether to get XB1 or PS4: I upgraded from my PS3 to an XB1 after using both the XB1 and PS4 in trials for awhile. I found the XB1 to have better interface for me and more options in apps/media outside of just gaming. Both systems have had a number of hiccups since launch, but the XB1, as many others have mentioned here, is far quicker with updates and improvements. They also have added more content and features. On the other hand, the PS4 is still the more robust gaming machine for pure gaming. That being said, both the XB1 and PS4 are more resrictive in content as media centers than the PS3. I can generally access and stream more through my PS3 with less hassle.

Now, if your question is regarding games, I think the best system now for games is still the PC. There aren't any great exclusives for either system imho. And many "exclusives" are really just early release, but not limited to that console. Also, neither system has a very large catalog of games yet, so there are still limitations in that regard. So if you can wait and play games on the PC, I would suggest that.

Remember, neither console is backwards compatible, so if porting over your PS3 to PS4 is your intent, its not going to happen. Although Sony does have a partial answer for this with the PS Now, where you will pay some monthly fee and have access to a select list of PS3 games, but you won't be able to use your PS3 discs in the PS4. MS is also working on some solution but I have yet to hear specifically what it is.

If you had to buy another console, my recommendation would be whichever brand you prefer. My preference is the XB1, but ymmv. But I would still say you are better sticking with what you have or just using the PC for awhile.

So here is my take on this whole issue. If you are interested in information on whether to get XB1 or PS4: I upgraded from my PS3 to an XB1 after using both the XB1 and PS4 in trials for awhile. I found the XB1 to have better interface for me and more options in apps/media outside of just gaming. Both systems have had a number of hiccups since launch, but the XB1, as many others have mentioned here, is far quicker with updates and improvements. They also have added more content and features. On the other hand, the PS4 is still the more robust gaming machine for pure gaming. That being said, both the XB1 and PS4 are more resrictive in content as media centers than the PS3. I can generally access and stream more through my PS3 with less hassle.

Now, if your question is regarding games, I think the best system now for games is still the PC. There aren't any great exclusives for either system imho. And many "exclusives" are really just early release, but not limited to that console. Also, neither system has a very large catalog of games yet, so there are still limitations in that regard. So if you can wait and play games on the PC, I would suggest that.

Remember, neither console is backwards compatible, so if porting over your PS3 to PS4 is your intent, its not going to happen. Although Sony does have a partial answer for this with the PS Now, where you will pay some monthly fee and have access to a select list of PS3 games, but you won't be able to use your PS3 discs in the PS4. MS is also working on some solution but I have yet to hear specifically what it is.

If you had to buy another console, my recommendation would be whichever brand you prefer. My preference is the XB1, but ymmv. But I would still say you are better sticking with what you have or just using the PC for awhile.

Yeah, I am not asking about a Xbox One for a couple reasons. Mainly because all the exclusives and games I want to play on a console are on the PS4, and secondly all my friends are getting PS4s and once Destiny and The Division comes out I want to play with them.

The main reason I don't want to replace the PS4 right away is because, as I see it there are no new games coming on the PS3 that I am even interested in, there are already games out on the PS4 that I want to play right now like AC4, Watch Dogs, The Last of Us, GTA5, (maybe) Infamous SS, and some Indie games too... so because of that there is no point in replacing the PS3 other than if I wanted to replay a PS3 game I have or a PS2 or PS1 game. The other main reason is the media server. I have a separate Sony box that can read the "PS3 media server" software over the network so I can stream any content I have on my computer to the TV anyway, and also I heard that you can stream anything to the PS4 via Plex using the PS4 web browser if you wanted to do that.

So really there aren't any good reasons why I should replace the PS3 right away as opposed to just getting a PS4 and being ready to go with the latest games. My PS3 over the last 6 months or more has pretty much just been used as a Blu-Ray player and media stream box.

1.74 firmware - Sony disappoints again.

I hope they have something big planned for 1.8 because Microsoft has been blowing them away with console updates.

Since when have dashboard/firmware updates become a point of pride and contention in the console fanboy wars? Jesus.

Since when have dashboard/firmware updates become a point of pride and contention in the console fanboy wars? Jesus.

Depends on your perspective. MS releases regular updates that may not add much (its a lot of trivial stuff that should have been in the console to the begin with), however it shows people they are continuously adding features and have good communication with the players.

Sony releases mystery updates with no warning even though people have been bitching about that same exact thing since the PS3 days. People would love those Playstation updates if they knew what they did, or if each release added or fixed a few small things like MS does.

Last edited:
I just bought a PS4 and absolutely love it. Mind you I've never owned a PS or Xbox. I was always a pc or Nintendo guy. Nevertheless I demoed an Xbox one and liked it too. I chose the PS4 because of the reviews, types of games offered and report of slightly better graphics (which is negligible to some). I don't need to watch movies on it or stream movies since I already have those capabilities. When Sony released the PS4 they had a gaming console in mind, not a home theater. That being said consoles will be subjective based on features needed, games offered and personal preference.

I'm sure I would have been happy with a XB1 or a gaming pc but I chose the ps4 on a personal preference. It's no different than buying a car or a TV or a blender.

OP- I hope these OT posts are helping in some deranged way.

So really there aren't any good reasons why I should replace the PS3 right away as opposed to just getting a PS4 and being ready to go with the latest games. My PS3 over the last 6 months or more has pretty much just been used as a Blu-Ray player and media stream box.

I mean if all that is the case, then I don't see a reason not to get the PS4. Just be aware that the patches are slow and not always great and the online service can be a little quirky. It really comes down to buy it now or a little later. So if you have the money and patience for the few quirks now, then I would just go for it, I don't really think you will regret getting one in the long run.

Someone had a breakdown of firmware revisions and what the numbering system ment. 1.7X is basically nothing just security/stability. 1.X0 is a single new app/fix/ or whatever and X.00 would be major OS revisions.

That's the way it worked on PS3 and when that thing released a lot of shit was not there.

No Trophies
Old store
Etc.

They got to everything but it took them quite awhile to get there. I just don't understand what's difficult about DLNA support unless they are seriously looking at a Plex or XBMC interface to go along with it instead of folders/files.

And the reason dashboard and feature updates are a sense of pride is because at the moment it's the only thing MS has going for it.

EDIT: 1.75 is coming out next week which adds 3D playback.

Last edited:
The only reason I kept interest in my PS4 is for The Last Of Us, after that it will probably collect dust again until Uncharted and some other exclusives hit the shelves.

EDIT: 1.75 is coming out next week which adds 3D playback.

basically wait for XB1 to announce it, then Sony gets the ball rolling..like wtf I hope XB1 announces DLNA in a few weeks then! Sony is fu$$in with us.

basically wait for XB1 to announce it, then Sony gets the ball rolling..like wtf I hope XB1 announces DLNA in a few weeks then! Sony is fu$$in with us.

Seems like a very knee jerk reaction. Hopefully its not a half ass half complete support

Back