The State of NVIDIA's Chipset Business

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Full Statement HERE.

Stories that have prompted this statement can be found here.

Well.. nVidia doesn't have licensing for the Intel Core i3/i5/i7 series processors with or without integrated graphics, next-generation Intel Atom chips code-named Pineview and so on. All we're gonna see is support for old architectures (FSB)... *sigh*

nVidia needs to branch out.

It may not be too long from now and Intel may simply not allow nVidia to make video cards for their platform, either.

All in all Id like to see a huge alliance between Intel and Nvidia. Since AMD/ATI could easily not allow Nvidia in their systems, it would really hurt Nvidia especially if Intel goes the same route.

While I haven't been a fan of NVIDIA's recent actions I do not want them to exit any part. Hopefully they will be able to make new chipsets and keep up competition.

Sounds like Intel is trying some seige tactics in order to starve nVidia and make it a ripe buyout target.

While I understand Nvidia's troubles with Intel (that can of whoopass comment was probably a mistake Mr Jensen), what I don't understand is why Nvidia isn't doing more with the AMD platform.

So Charlie was right after all huh?

Nvidia is dead as far as high end Video cards and MBs. So no i3/5/7 MBs and their high/mid range video cards suck compared to ATI... unless they sell em at a loss to maintain market/mind share.

Maybe they can go and produce physics cards for open use.

that statement said basically nothing about the future of amd chipsets. can't say that i'm not slightly disappointed

Last time I checked the 770/780/790 chipsets from AMD were the best and most popular.

I'm guessing the 'selling more chipsets on AMD' thing he said, is probably mostly those boards they sell to HP, Dell, etc. who probably still buy Nvidia's old generation stuff real cheap.

But I would think once the start updating their AMD machines they are selling, they'd eventually dump their Nvidia boards and start going with the much better AMD boards.

Well, seems like nvidia is going to try making their own cpu in the future, would most likely be an arm processor. Kind of sad that cpu companies are expanding to gpu yet gpu companies can't really expand into the cpu because of licensing issues.

Kind of like what is going on with the company I am working at. Shirts are expanding into the caps market and the cap company is trying to expand to the shirt market. It is impossible for us to compete with the pricing for some of the cheap shirts, but at least we can complete with higher quality shirts.

All in all Id like to see a huge alliance between Intel and Nvidia. Since AMD/ATI could easily not allow Nvidia in their systems, it would really hurt Nvidia especially if Intel goes the same route.

this'll happen right about the same time I get lucky and have a 4 some with Jenna and friends.

:D

Translation: Intel is shutting us out on their own platforms, so waaaaahmbulance...

I think nvidia deserves it, especially after the 680i failures and nvidia denying stability issues.

They really dodged the whole issue of high-end AMD chipsets, didn't they? Here is an area they can compete in, yet completely avoid. My Intel socket Nvidia boards have had nothing but problems, but my AMD socket boards haven't had any issues. Right now, in my intermediate rig, my 750a mobo is moving along fine, working like a champ...so why doesn't Nvidia target this market?

If they can't get i7, and Socket 775 is at it's EoL...then doesn't it make sense to make motherboards for a modern processor type you can support?

NV MoBos are dead and I wont miss them.

On the AMD side I will. I've seen very few NVIDIA chipset based boards for AMD processor compatible motherboards in recent months which I find to be unfortunate as NVIDIA used to build the best AMD processor compatible chipsets on the market. On the Intel side...........well I think my feelings concerning those chipsets are generally well known.

While I understand Nvidia's troubles with Intel (that can of whoopass comment was probably a mistake Mr Jensen), what I don't understand is why Nvidia isn't doing more with the AMD platform.

Because they don't make better mobos for the AMD platform than AMD itself does? There's a reason they are shutting down their chipset business - because they can't compete with intel (legal pressure) nor AMD. Plus they don't really want to make stuff that promotes the sales/profits of more AMD chips, because AMD has absorbed ATI, their direct video card competitor.

Considering all the talk about PC gaming dying, this situation probably won't help the industry in the least.

Let's hope this doesn't get much more ridiculous.

I think nvidia deserves it, especially after the 680i failures and nvidia denying stability issues.

As a former 780i user with tons of issues like their chipset drivers corrupting my raid array, insane heat, video corruption, and the northbridge dieing in four months I have to agree with you. Fuck em.

all i understood was them talking about making innovative stuff for older platforms, and i havent seen them make a better chipset for amd cpu's in a long time either, wasn't a huge fan of the 790, but it was so much better then the 680

Sometimes, i feel sorry for Nvidia, they have to work with, and against their competition at the same time. That could get confusing at times.

I think this is train leaving the station for Nvidia. They shoulda woulda coulda made that deal for VIA.

Just sucks that they are being pressured so hard in a tuff market. Hate to see em go leaving less competition for the other guys.

Hope they can figure something out to stave alive in some form. Make processor/mb's/videocards for smart phones or something.

Ha HA.

Man. Like uhhh....make a card that people can afford/will buy given the realities of what's offered/vs performance for a price and you will make money.

Seems like simple logic.

Is this rocket science? Really? Because I think it's just another example of crappy internal politics.(which many many many of us have experience with, I'm sure!)

And yeah...VIA is my new happy place. Much as some may have their qualms with them, I have honestly not found a company more willing to help me on my "for fun and profit" projects.

Isn't that what this whole technology scene was based on?

I think so. And so I shall continue having fun and tinkering..."for fun and profit."

So Charlie was right after all huh?

Nvidia is dead as far as high end Video cards and MBs. So no i3/5/7 MBs and their high/mid range video cards suck compared to ATI... unless they sell em at a loss to maintain market/mind share.

Maybe they can go and produce physics cards for open use.
So Nvidia stops doing chip sets and you assume they are not doing high end gpu's anymore? The claim made by Charlie isn't proven yet.

I think there's a licensing royalty that NVidia doesn't want to fork over in this situation.
Since Intel won't be making money on chipset sales I'm sure they're asking for a (large) chunk of change to allow NVidia to get onboard with the newer architectures...

Ever wonder why SLI wasn't enabled on all of the high end Intel motherboards?

Playing hardball goes both ways but Intel has deeper pockets and can play harder, longer.

As a side note... Haven't dug the NV Chipset boards for a long time... issues galore and too much heat.

nVidia won me over with their nForce2 chipset, I used them exclusively during that era. I continued to use them after that, but wasn't nearly as pleased. At some point, I couldn't call all the failures I had "flukes"

Maybe if they didn't rip off consumers by rebranding existing cards, and maybe if they didn't manufacture chipsets that fail constantly or at the very least, admit there is an issue and fix it, maybe then they would have a solid place in the market. Heck, if I was Intel or AMD I wouldn't want nVidia making chipsets for my stuff either.

I think NVIDIA may have to conceed the high end market to AMD for the moment. Concession of a market segment for a period of time isn't the same thing as abandoning that market permanently. While the Geforce GTX 295 is the fastest card out right now, AMD's 5870 X2 will surely de-throne it as the premiere graphics card. AMD's got Direct X 11 parts available today. NVIDIA is months away from doing the same. Given their likely production costs for GT200 based GPUs, what Charlie says has some accuracy to it in that NVIDIA should and (probably will) discontinue many of thier GPUs rather than sell them at a loss. Their chipset business may be alive in regard to the low end (NVIDIA Ion) but stick a fork in it on the high end, they are done.

In any case I don't think NVIDIA is getting out of the high end GPU market anytime soon.

What is left for Nvidia? How about putting out that VIA/ION platform and see how it does.

I would really like to see the third x86 chip maker have some more interesting chipsets and a wider range of motherboards.

Things come and things go, I am sorry to see Nvidia doing poorly right now, I have been a large fan of them in the past. However their recent stuff does not interest me. Just switched my main computer over to the AMD 790 chipset and when I can I will replace my 9800 with a 5850.

I would like to see Nvidia come back to market with something good that makes them do well again and fosters competition, but for the moment they need to figure out what that is...

I would think that they could make some stuff for the AMD CPU, but its not my company.

I kinda wish NVIDIA would fold just before Intel gets into the GPU business and AMD has enough money to buy them out. AMD really needs all the help it can get to stick around and be competitive with INTEL.

Lets face it, everyone is squeezing NVIDIA out, and it's likely INTEL is going to snap them up, kill AMD and absorb them too. Provided AMD and INTEL are providing GPUs and CPUs there will still be some form of competition.

While NVIDIA has been competing with ATI for a while now it really doesn't compare to the strangehold INTEL has over the whole industry.

Intel won't touch AMD. They've been in a position to squash AMD or absorb them for years if they really wanted to. Like Microsoft, they'll keep their competition around so they can point to them during anti-trust hearings as "their competition" as proof that they do not have a monopoly in the industry.

Back