cageymaru

Fully [H]
Jason Evangelho has taken a deeper dive into Linux, Lies and Steam Play compatible video games. He touches on subjects such as ease of use when it comes to making Windows games run on Linux. Liam Dawe, of Gaming on Linux fame, assists Jason on his journey into gaming on the OS and it is nice to see actual sales numbers for Linux gaming from websites like Humble Bundle. Who knew that 20% of the games on Steam are now compatible with Linux? In the following video starting at the 7:00 marker, [H]ardforum Linux gamer extraordinaire BloodyIron shows us how to setup a PC to play Overwatch on Linux.

"When it comes to playing Windows games on Linux, the first thing to remember is: it's never going to be a perfect experience. Don't go into it expecting something to work," Dawe explains. "Go in like that and you won't be too disappointed. There's software called Wine (ht tps://ww w.winehq.org/) which you can try. PlayOnLinux and Lutris are essentially user interfaces to work with Wine to manage multiple titles with it, each with their own special script to set it all up for you."

I'm very excited to watch this. Gaming on Linux is a favorite go to for me to read while out having a smoke. So far my limited testing has had mixed results, but the games that do load seem to run about as well as expected. The biggest boon from all of this is Proton helps take a lot of the guess work out of setting up a game to actually run. Mind you there are still things that need to be tweaked but using Protontricks (see Winetricks) helps get around some of the bumps you will run across.

Last edited:
Holy crap! Thanks peeps! :DDD

If you have feedback for the video, please put them in the comments on YouTube. I'm going to use that feedback to make them even better! :DDD

Also, I have a thread for the project : https://hardforum.com/threads/bloodyiron-on-linux-gaming-youtube.1964861/

I'm likely to eventually get my own site, but this is pop-sickle sticks, gum and shoestring production for now. HAH!

If you have any questions about Linux Gaming, just let me know here, or the thread I just linked. :DDD!!!

Last edited:
Holy crap! Thanks peeps! :DDD

If you have feedback for the video, please put them in the comments on YouTube. I'm going to use that feedback to make them even better! :DDD

Also, I have a thread for the project : https://hardforum.com/threads/bloodyiron-on-linux-gaming-youtube.1964861/

I'm likely to eventually get my own site, but this is pop-sickle sticks, gum and shoestring promotion for now. HAH!

If you have any questions about Linux Gaming, just let me know here, or the thread I just linked. :DDD!!!

Count me in as well. I'll try and answer any questions people have.

I guess Windows 10 didn't consider Linux. It's a shame really, I was enjoying my inability to copy files from location to another without getting "access denied" errors. Seriously, WTF Microsoft?
eca.png

If you're using DXVK in your setup you can pass parameters to it to turn on the DXVK HUD which gives you a bunch of FPS info. You can see it top left in the video I made above. I cover these parameters later in the video too in the Lutris configuration parts.

Otherwise there are ways you can pass the +FPS debug flag to WINE (I think that's the flag, it's along those lines), and then the debug output periodically spits out a framerate.

Also, if you run something through WINE, that is then through STEAM inside that, you can probably use the STEAM FPS overlay.

There's probably other ways too! ;D

What's a good tool for monitoring framerates in WINE?

Windows 10 gives more consideration for Linux than prior versions with the Windows Linux Subsystem.
That was kinda a joke about the image I posted. I'm sure Microsoft is looking at Linux carefully cause they know it could be a problem for them. Then again it hasn't stopped Microsoft from charging a fee to use Windows 10. Oddly enough I haven't seen Microsoft take over the PC gaming market, which they could do so easily. Xbox has no chance without Microsoft merging Windows with Xbox, and Steam is their biggest competitor on Windows.

Xbox has no chance without Microsoft merging Windows with Xbox, and Steam is their biggest competitor on Windows.

Steam isn't really competition to Windows for PC gaming. Steam is an enormous asset for Windows and without Windows Steam is less than nothing. Obviously Valve was trying to create a strong Windows independent Linux based platform so that Steam wouldn't be so dependent on Windows but that didn't really take off. So now Plan B and Windows game compatibility tech in the box for Linux which is totally necessary given the lack of native Linux game development to date.

If you're Microsoft this is a better outcome for now than had Linux caught on as its own platform. There's a long way to go with this so who knows. Could create a new spark and interest in Linux PC gaming, could lead to not much and actually hurt native Linux game development.

I think it's time to retire the X5675 I've been using for my Linux system and replace it with my 3570K to check this out.

As a user of Windows 10 at my day job and Linux at home, and dealing with hybrid environments, I'm not yet sure what the benefit of having Linux as a subsystem of Windows 10 is exactly... Any ideas?

I prefer to utilize certain tools over what is offered for Windows. I'm running Arch Linux WSL at work & at home.

What about that method gives you value? As in, what does it do for you that you didn't have before? I'd love to hear more!

WLS is WINE in reverse so you get the same kinds of abilities to run native Linux code directly under Windows without need for a VM. Can be useful on local dev boxed for a number of open source projects based on Linux like Hadoop.

Thats the big problem.

If linux needs to get a strong foothold, it needs to stop accepting anything more complex than "install game and click play".

Linux has a (well deserved) reputation for being needlessly complex and extremely alienating to new users. The trend for popularity of an OS is "How easy is it to get shit done?", and right now, for new users, having to do anything more than click 'play game' is just toxic.

As a user of Windows 10 at my day job and Linux at home, and dealing with hybrid environments, I'm not yet sure what the benefit of having Linux as a subsystem of Windows 10 is exactly... Any ideas?

Keeping guys like you from killing windows on your laptop. Hey look you can terminal warrior it from windows. lol ;)

The Linux subsystem is a sad attempt to stem the bleeding of Developers and System admin types.

I have no doubt in time MS ends development of their own micro kernel / dll using silly registry setup mish mash of pain.

To be honest I will gladly welcome MS as a first class DE developer.

Steam isn't really competition to Windows for PC gaming. Steam is an enormous asset for Windows and without Windows Steam is less than nothing. Obviously Valve was trying to create a strong Windows independent Linux based platform so that Steam wouldn't be so dependent on Windows but that didn't really take off. So now Plan B and Windows game compatibility tech in the box for Linux which is totally necessary given the lack of native Linux game development to date.

If you're Microsoft this is a better outcome for now than had Linux caught on as its own platform. There's a long way to go with this so who knows. Could create a new spark and interest in Linux PC gaming, could lead to not much and actually hurt native Linux game development.

Are you still under the assumption that Valve is paying MS royalties or something ? lol

I would say MS wouldn't care if Valve dropped dead tomorrow... but that would be a lie. I believe MS execs would be doing happy dances all day.

Without Valve MS would be a gaming walled garden today. MS is still looking for ways to make that happen have no doubt.

WLS is WINE in reverse so you get the same kinds of abilities to run native Linux code directly under Windows without need for a VM. Can be useful on local dev boxed for a number of open source projects based on Linux like Hadoop.

The developers of such projects... are already running Linux native.

Are you still under the assumption that Valve is paying MS royalties or something ?

All those PC gaming laptops and desktops that OEMs sell. They all run Windows and the primary reason why is Steam.

All those PC gaming laptops and desktops that OEMs sell. They all run Windows and the primary reason why is Steam.

So MS brings nothing of value to the sale.

Hey ! we agree on something again.

Sure. All of these Windows games people are trying to run under Linux are already running natively under Windows.

Indeed they are all eager to be rid of MS. Hope it works out for most of them.

But what about the hardware-level advantages of the Linux monolithic kernel and such? Seems like the Windows kernel would get in the way of that? Hmmmm...

Pretty sure the state of gaming on Linux is the death knell for Windows. How many people are upset with how many facets of Windows exactly? I hear far more people complaining about Windows than praising it.

I rarely hear someone get excited about some new feature that came out for Windows. In fact, I can't remember the last time I heard such a thing. Can you?

Keeping guys like you from killing windows on your laptop. Hey look you can terminal warrior it from windows. lol ;)

The Linux subsystem is a sad attempt to stem the bleeding of Developers and System admin types.

I have no doubt in time MS ends development of their own micro kernel / dll using silly registry setup mish mash of pain.

To be honest I will gladly welcome MS as a first class DE developer.

Pretty sure the state of gaming on Linux is the death knell for Windows. How many people are upset with how many facets of Windows exactly? I hear far more people complaining about Windows than praising it.

I rarely hear someone get excited about some new feature that came out for Windows. In fact, I can't remember the last time I heard such a thing. Can you?
The last new thing for windows that got people excited was Windows Subsystem for Linux. Ironic isn't it

Reactions: ChadD
like this
What about that method gives you value? As in, what does it do for you that you didn't have before? I'd love to hear more!

Utilizing SSH w/o requiring any additional applications. Utilizing Linux specific tools like dig instead of having to install the binaries for Windows.

Seems like a lot of work from MS to add such small things. Why not just switch to Linux or something similar? If such tasks are day to day, what exactly keeps one in Windows?

Utilizing SSH w/o requiring any additional applications. Utilizing Linux specific tools like dig instead of having to install the binaries for Windows.

Seems like a lot of work from MS to add such small things. Why not just switch to Linux or something similar? If such tasks are day to day, what exactly keeps one in Windows?

For now, at work they only run Windows & at home, its due to some games that won't run with DXVK for this time. I'm going to restructure my gaming desktop PC this weekend with Arch Linux as the primary & Windows 10 as the secondary. Might even look into VFIO/Looking Glass with a spare 750 Ti if I'm so inclined (but that's going to be another project altogether).

1. Why Arch? I use Ubuntu and I love it's convenience. Arch looks like a bunch of work with limited gain.
2. Which games aren't working out for you?
3. Not sure if Virtualbox has VT-d, but you could use that in it's hybrid mode (forget the correct term there). It seemed kinda neat.

IMO, running Windows in a VM on Linux defeats the point of gaming on Linux, but hey, it's your compie, not mine ;P

I know the corporate space is going to be a pain to switch, but every person who tries to request it will add up to change. I wonder what their resistance to it is.

For now, at work they only run Windows & at home, its due to some games that won't run with DXVK for this time. I'm going to restructure my gaming desktop PC this weekend with Arch Linux as the primary & Windows 10 as the secondary. Might even look into VFIO/Looking Glass with a spare 750 Ti if I'm so inclined (but that's going to be another project altogether).

1. Why Arch? I use Ubuntu and I love it's convenience. Arch looks like a bunch of work with limited gain.
3. Not sure if Virtualbox has VT-d, but you could use that in it's hybrid mode (forget the correct term there). It seemed kinda neat.

IMO, running Windows in a VM on Linux defeats the point of gaming on Linux, but hey, it's your compie, not mine ;P

I know the corporate space is going to be a pain to switch, but every person who tries to request it will add up to change. I wonder what their resistance to it is.
Arch really isn't a lot of work to set up if you already know what you're doing, and it's much lighter and faster than ubuntu if you don't install a bunch of cruft, even with KDE/Gnome.

Looks good, glad to know there is a way to play blizzard titles on steam as that was one of my few remaining holdouts. Hopefully this continues to get smoother so when MS finally makes using Win 7 untenable the transition will be smooth.

Very interesting stuff BloodyIron, I just built a gaming rig with spare parts I had laying around. I may have to give Ubuntu a shot, I don’t mind experimenting!

Arch really isn't a lot of work to set up if you already know what you're doing, and it's much lighter and faster than ubuntu if you don't install a bunch of cruft, even with KDE/Gnome.

Its also rolling. No need for silly PPAs. Latest software all the time every time. Arch has a larger software database, and is imo easier to package for if you package your own stuff. Creating a AUR package installer, imo is a better option then creating your own .deb installers. Arch has far more customization options, you can use ANY DE ever made anywhere. Yes you can install things under Ubuntu, you can even install headless server and then install whatever you like DE wise.... still Arch does that far better.

There are a lot of advantages to running arch... no its not a new Linux user distro. Having said that if your a new Linux user... I always recommend Manjaro and its arch base over Ubuntu and its Debian base myself.

I have nothing against Ubuntu... its a fine Debian distro. Arch is imo the ultimate Linux power user distro. Saying such a thing will almost always cause a Gentoo user to respond... but Gentoo is for masochist Linux power users. lol

Also, if you run something through WINE, that is then through STEAM inside that, you can probably use the STEAM FPS overlay.
I really didn't give you enough credit with your knowledge of Linux and Linux gaming.
Needless to say, you have my full respect and admiration - may not sound like much coming from me, but I've been into Linux gaming long before Steam was a native application to it, and I have to say your guide was very professional and second to none.

You are definitely a benefit to both the Linux and Microsoft gaming and OS communities.
Excellent work, I can't wait to see more! (y)

like this

1. Arch has huge customization potential & I love having the ability to compile apps right-quick from PKGBUILD git/svn clones & AUR (ArchLinux User Repository). I actually hate dealing with PPAs & trying to create my own deb packages. Arch is so much easier for this.
2. Largely Uplay games & ones heavy with DRM/ATP
3. I'd prefer to run everything via WINE/DXVK/Proton but that's not always possible. VMs one way or another might help me get past that.

like this
Back