The Star Trek vs. Star Wars Trailer

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Admittedly this has nothing at all to do with technology save the expertise of the editor of this mock mashup of Star Wars and Star Trek using digital technology to join two movie franchises into a trailer. This will appeal to the Nerd and Geek in all of us. Enjoy :cool:

Throw in some Stargate and Battlestar... it's all the same anyways

The music sounds like it's appropriate for a death scene, not an action trailer, otherwise pretty slick job.

This brings back some memories! There were tons of the fan based Star Trek vs. Star Wars crossover stories back in the golden era of the BBS. I think overall Federation technology is superior to that of the Republic/Empire but Star Wars hyperspace is superior to Warp Drive. But there's no analog to transporter tech in SW.

I would LOVE a crossover movie. This and a DC/Marvel crossover are two crossovers that would make a bajillion dollars if done right.

you guys really want to continue this junior high school old debate?

Damn straight! I grew up with this stuff. I remember going to the local two screen theater in August 1977 and watching Star Wars and being thrilled. Star Trek has influenced me like nothing else. My interest in science and technology and particularly computers was a direct result of that show like countless others.

Damn straight! I grew up with this stuff. I remember going to the local two screen theater in August 1977 and watching Star Wars and being thrilled. Star Trek has influenced me like nothing else. My interest in science and technology and particularly computers was a direct result of that show like countless others.

but but but, the deathstar could hose anything star trek could throw at them.... and jedi's are tougher than any creature in star trek. And my mom can beat up your mom. :p

Same here - I think Star Wars is the first sci-fi memory I have conscious memory of watching. I saw it in 1977 and remember the ride home. It was awesome. Later, I saw the Star Trek movies and watched Star Trek TOS, TNG, etc.
These shows definitely fueled some of my interests later in life. Unfortunately, I never developed Jedi powers nor have I flown on a space chip.

Star Trek would win.

Whatever. Nothing would match the power of the empire. If a Borg ship would give them trouble, imagine how several star destroyers would absolutely destroy the federation. No chance.

Awesome video, though. That would be a movie to watch. I don't care who wins, that would be one hell of a movie (I guess in these days, it'd be a trilogy!).

Ok, the video impressed me to no end. I'd love to see a full movie made from it.

Whatever. Nothing would match the power of the empire. If a Borg ship would give them trouble, imagine how several star destroyers would absolutely destroy the federation. No chance.

Borg assimilation is unlike anything the Empire has. Sure, a Death Star can destroy a planet but Borg assimilation is a far more powerful weapon in that it transforms a planet into more Borg, pretty quickly. And I doubt even the fire power of a Death Star would easily destroy a Borg Cube. The Borg could just transport troops onto a Death Star and my guess is that their shields would be no more effective than conventional Federation shields.

Borg assimilation is unlike anything the Empire has. Sure, a Death Star can destroy a planet but Borg assimilation is a far more powerful weapon in that it transforms a planet into more Borg, pretty quickly.

Star Wars vs. the Borg - now that could be interesting.

Once the Borg assimilate a Jedi or a Sith, they would have access to those powers too.

That's a good point, Star Trek can beam soldiers anywhere, Star wars they have to manually go from place top place. Would be awesome. Maybe a book?

Wait it is a book!

Amazon link of course

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Star Wars vs. the Borg - now that could be interesting.

Once the Borg assimilate a Jedi or a Sith, they would have access to those powers too.

I think the Borg work in pop culture because there are high-tech zombies. And we all like or hate zombies.

Well, the REAL question is whether you want to go with 'Star Trek' or 'Star Trek As Influence By Star Wars' when fighting Star Wars.

You'll recall that Original Series Trek make it *very* clear (VERY CLEAR) that nearly all combat happened at warp speeds. Having to fight at sublight was a huge disadvantage (to the point in 'Balance of Terror' where Scotty mentioned they could easily defeat the Romulans as they had only sublight engines, and 'Elaan of Troyius' where the Enterprise wasn't sure it could survive in combat at all against a ship fighting at warp speeds).

Combat ranges in TOS Trek were 'close' when they were 40,000 kilometers apart (helpfully making sure two ship models never needed to be on-screen at once, which was always a challenge with 1960s filming techniques), and the Enterprise was noted in several episodes as being easily capable of wiping out all life on a planet (indeed, in 'Whom Gods Destroy' McCoy complaining that they could accidentally destroy the entire planet while trying to attack its shield).

And all that made sense...given the capability of even modern (1960s-modern) weapons, up to and including nuclear weapons...with a couple hundred years of progress made.

Then 'Star Wars' came out in the 70s. Everyone *loved* how the spaceships zoomed around each other. 'Empire Strikes Back' doubled-down on that with the asteroid fight. Very next Star Trek movie that came out? Suddenly, the ships are all fighting sublight, face-to-face, sharing screen real estate at a couple hundred yards like sailing ships from a millennium prior. TNG Trek drew from that, and the dumbing-down of Trek technology insured the debate would continue forever more.

But TOS Trek? Good gods, those starships would tear apart the entire Star Wars universe without even pausing. Each ship with enough firepower to accidentally destroy all life on a planet? (And seriously, this isn't that big a leap - I mean, a modern boomer with a couple hundred warheads can damn near do that ALREADY...) Each ship never even visible to sublight sensors, fighting with enemies at 40,000 kilometers to 100s of thousands of kilometers distance? Yeah, no, that would be a very short battle.

But not nearly as amusing for a theater audience, so...

Well, the REAL question is whether you want to go with 'Star Trek' or 'Star Trek As Influence By Star Wars' when fighting Star Wars.

You'll recall that Original Series Trek make it *very* clear (VERY CLEAR) that nearly all combat happened at warp speeds. Having to fight at sublight was a huge disadvantage (to the point in 'Balance of Terror' where Scotty mentioned they could easily defeat the Romulans as they had only sublight engines, and 'Elaan of Troyius' where the Enterprise wasn't sure it could survive in combat at all against a ship fighting at warp speeds).

Combat ranges in TOS Trek were 'close' when they were 40,000 kilometers apart (helpfully making sure two ship models never needed to be on-screen at once, which was always a challenge with 1960s filming techniques), and the Enterprise was noted in several episodes as being easily capable of wiping out all life on a planet (indeed, in 'Whom Gods Destroy' McCoy complaining that they could accidentally destroy the entire planet while trying to attack its shield).

And all that made sense...given the capability of even modern (1960s-modern) weapons, up to and including nuclear weapons...with a couple hundred years of progress made.

Then 'Star Wars' came out in the 70s. Everyone *loved* how the spaceships zoomed around each other. 'Empire Strikes Back' doubled-down on that with the asteroid fight. Very next Star Trek movie that came out? Suddenly, the ships are all fighting sublight, face-to-face, sharing screen real estate at a couple hundred yards like sailing ships from a millennium prior. TNG Trek drew from that, and the dumbing-down of Trek technology insured the debate would continue forever more.

But TOS Trek? Good gods, those starships would tear apart the entire Star Wars universe without even pausing. Each ship with enough firepower to accidentally destroy all life on a planet? (And seriously, this isn't that big a leap - I mean, a modern boomer with a couple hundred warheads can damn near do that ALREADY...) Each ship never even visible to sublight sensors, fighting with enemies at 40,000 kilometers to 100s of thousands of kilometers distance? Yeah, no, that would be a very short battle.

i bet you're super fun at parties

Vid was damn awesome. Only part that seem out of place was the one where ahura(or however you spell her name) shot, and the other blocked with his saber, but the shot looks more like fireballs.

jedi's are tougher than any creature in star trek

Sorry but have to disagree with you.. and as "Bill Nye the Climate Guy" would say..

2d7.gif

Jedi masters can be killed.. so that makes them "tougher" than Q??

14323527392e80f301.gif

.. a being part of "a seemingly omnipotent and immortal species who inhabited the Q Continuum, possessing the ability of instantaneous matter-energy transformation and teleportation, as well as the ability of time travel. The Q had control over space, time, matter, and energy, and have a claimed IQ of 2005." http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Q_%28species%29

giphy.gif

Q could kill Darth Vader from a galaxy or three away!!

Borg assimilation is unlike anything the Empire has. Sure, a Death Star can destroy a planet but Borg assimilation is a far more powerful weapon in that it transforms a planet into more Borg, pretty quickly. And I doubt even the fire power of a Death Star would easily destroy a Borg Cube. The Borg could just transport troops onto a Death Star and my guess is that their shields would be no more effective than conventional Federation shields.

The Borg would be a worthy competitor. Federation? Pfft. Bye bye. :)

Only the good parties. :D I never got to be at one of those kind of parties. Never a lot of nerds around back in the day. I'd love to have a few beers and argue this stuff for hours. I really don't care who would win one way or the other, but I'll pick a side and argue it. Fun stuff! :)

but but but, the deathstar could hose anything star trek could throw at them.... and jedi's are tougher than any creature in star trek. And my mom can beat up your mom. :p

Jedi's are few we have countless Klingons to handle them.

You probably didn't notice that his username is actually the class of Romulan Warbird used in all of TNG prior to Nemesis. This guy knows his Trek.

Awesome work on that video. As for TOS vs newer stuff... I might also mention the Doomsday Machine episode. The machine carved up entire planets with its beam and ate them. The USS Constellation was severely damaged by it, but not entirely destroyed until Kirk blew it up inside the Doomsday Machine, and the Enterprise survived several direct hits from it and survived. The Enterprise in the video taking direct hits from the Deathstar without being completely destroyed in a single shot is not that far-fetched with that in mind. It would certainly be interesting to watch if they ever did come up with some kind of movie that worked, regardless of who won... if anyone actually did win.

Merely old enough to be grumpy at the constant 'dumbing down of things' to appeal to the widest audience.

TOS Trek had something unique and different, but rather than build on it, they threw it out to spiffy up the special effects.

(And FWIW, I actually do like Star Wars more than Star Trek, if only because it's more operatic in scope - while Trek always tended towards the more Analong/Interzone/Weird Tales/Astounding Magazine sort of semi-plausible 'hard' science fiction. That said, the direction Franchise Trek took after Star Wars came out genuinely felt like a blend of the two - and it, IMHO, took the worst of each. Still entertaining, and still worth watching...but really a pretty far cry from its potential. And, no, we aren't even going to talk about JJ-Trek....)

This video is a mashup of Star Wars and that stupid JJ Abrams fan movie he made. It's kinda disappointing they didn't use actual footage of Star Trek. Why not just have all the Star Wars footage be of Jar Jar Binks?

Ahh feels great to be around peeps that share my view of JJ Trek.

Frankly, its not that bad in its own right and i enjoyed the movies so far. But like anything with this kind of legacy you simply couldnt ever hope to make the nerds happy so let them whine and count the money all the way to the bank.

Back