The Snapdragon phone

Anandtech says it's a crippled and more expensive version of the Asus ROG5.
So no thanks. I'm however tempted to get the ROG5. But I think my iPhone does fine with gaming on the xcloud despite browser based experience.

Its not hardware, but software that makes or breaks Android phones. Pixel phones now for life. I have finally converted now that One Plus is just like every other manufacture :(
I'm running a one Plus 7t. I love the phone but truly clueless where il go in the next 1-2yr when I upgrade.

I actually like Samsung's software A LOT more than Google. Believe it or not it's more feature packed.
Features have hardware impact on performance.
Getting regular monthly OS updates is a major quality of life enhancement.
There’s a reason why a lot of us own pixels, many were full cycle Nexus owners.
Getting stuck for months or longer with a bad update leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Features have hardware impact on performance.
Getting regular monthly OS updates is a major quality of life enhancement.
There’s a reason why a lot of us own pixels, many were full cycle Nexus owners.
Getting stuck for months or longer with a bad update leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Funny thing is Samsung supports their phones for much longer security wise, which is truthfully all I really care about. I'm on a Note 8 and it was recently patched with a security update. It's almost 4 years old at this point and has a later security patch when compared to the Pixel 2 which came out the same year.

Like I said the software is already feature packed so I don't find the need to get the latest OS updates. Getting the new Android version which natively introduces a feature that Samsung already implemented in their OS 3 Android versions before is not that exciting...

I have a Note 10+ 256GB and was thinking about upgrading.

The (Samsung) Android market is horrible right now - the only phone with 512GB is the Fold 3 (meh).

So I thought - I'll just get a last year Note 20+ and be good to go. Except the only 20/21 series Samsung phones still available are 128GB. There are a few 256GB devices if you really look, but not from your carrier.

The only option for a high end phone seems to be the Xperia 1 iii or - maybe the ROG phone?

But who trusts Asus to make a good phone (I hear they are really fragile) and the Sony phones have just an OK batter and apparently are stuck in 4K resolution and you can't change it. They do have a headphone jack though - which I would use.

I was pretty frustrated talking to the Samsung and Best Buy people today and they said I was the nicest person they had talked to all day.

What a mess.

I can deal with no headphone jack - fine, and I can deal with no SD card - barely - but not when they then cut everything down to 128GB

I know - "chip shortages"

The (Samsung) Android market is horrible right now - the only phone with 512GB is the Fold 3 (meh).

So I thought - I'll just get a last year Note 20+ and be good to go. Except the only 20/21 series Samsung phones still available are 128GB. There are a few 256GB devices if you really look, but not from your carrier.

The only option for a high end phone seems to be the Xperia 1 iii or - maybe the ROG phone?

But who trusts Asus to make a good phone (I hear they are really fragile) and the Sony phones have just an OK batter and apparently are stuck in 4K resolution and you can't change it. They do have a headphone jack though - which I would use.

I was pretty frustrated talking to the Samsung and Best Buy people today and they said I was the nicest person they had talked to all day.

What a mess.

I can deal with no headphone jack - fine, and I can deal with no SD card - barely - but not when they then cut everything down to 128GB

Has nothing to do with this. It's to sell you cloud storage

Asus makes OK phones, nice when you use it with the released OS, but kinda sucks when you get a new Android version. My ROG 2 had so many issues with Android 10 upon release, and even 6 months later.

On the software side Asus phones have some nice QoL features, especially if you play games. I'm eyeing the Zenfone 8 myself, but 256GB is breaking my heart. I'm too used to 512GB storage...

Has nothing to do with this. It's to sell you cloud storage
Then they have a very strange business model...

1630067565574.png

What a mess.

Maybe I'm just fucking crazy, but what do you guys have on your phone's that needs 128gb or more? I am using like 40gb of my 128 and I was using about the same on my previous 64gb phone.

I guess I got lucky but I grabbed a 256GB S21 earlier this year. So far it's been great. I like the Pixel phones too, and was all but set on the Pixel 5 until the hardware specs came out and were underwhelming. Maybe if they'd priced it more competitively, but 256GB S21 was the same price.

Samsung software has improved a lot over the last few generations and now I'm fairly happy with it. I'd still likely prefer the Pixel software experience, but no complaints about updates - Samsung is good about pushing them regularly.

Maybe I'm just fucking crazy, but what do you guys have on your phone's that needs 128gb or more? I am using like 40gb of my 128 and I was using about the same on my previous 64gb phone.
nearly 200GB just in FLAC CD rips.

Throw in podcasts, youtube downloads, camera snaps, Amazon music downloads, etc

It adds up. A lot of what I have isn't on streaming and even if it is, streaming on mobile is spotty so I tend to DL media first and like to have a nice buffer and not feel crowded.

Back