The "Small" ISPs. Thoughts?

Flybye

Limp Gawd
So with my recent trauma with AT&T and its cap, and discovering Comcast is even worse, I started thinking more about those smaller ISPs that exist.

You guys have any thoughts/comments/experiences with these other guys?

One company I am considering is cyberonic.com.

So with my recent trauma with AT&T and its cap, and discovering Comcast is even worse, I started thinking more about those smaller ISPs that exist.

You guys have any thoughts/comments/experiences with these other guys?

One company I am considering is cyberonic.com.

I Think looking at there prices I would call comcast back..

Wow, that's pricey. For their 10/1 DSL service at $100/month, why aren't you looking at business lines? Taking a minute search shows that they are uncapped.

I used to work for a small local cable ISP (~1500 users) as a contractor. They all have pro's and con's and if cap/usage is your biggest concern, you won't be in the "clear". They might not impose a cap, but they will know who you are if you're using tons of bandwidth. Some also throttle BT traffic.

Prices are generally higher and speeds are generally lower with small ISP's.

I've never heard of the ISP in question, even though they apparently service some small towns near me. (Rural NW Ohio) I'm guessing they just have some sort of agreement with the LEC/CLEC to resell the DSL services. I have seen this done, but i don't know much about the specific's involved.

If you pass Comcast's cap, they cut your service.....

They don't immediately cut your service. Most likely you'll get a letter saying you've download X amount of data vs their allowed 250gb. If you do it continually, they may cut your service.

If you pass Comcast's cap, they cut your service.....

No that's wrong.

Many people go over the cap regularly and don't get so much as a warning. Chances are they won't even make a big deal about it unless your area is hurting for bandwidth. If you go over the cap on a regular basis and you catch their attention they will start with a phone call.

AT&T on the other hand just starts adding to your bill, at rates no sane person would ever agree to. Not to mention Comcast's "Cap" is 250g while AT&T is only 150g.

There is also Comcast business. It's more expensive (then again so are many of those other options you are looking at) but there are no monthly caps.

No that's wrong.
There is also Comcast business. It's more expensive (then again so are many of those other options you are looking at) but there are no monthly caps.

Only a matter of time before people will notice the business class with no monthly cap and switch, then comcast will put a cap on it or up the price.

Back