The sky isn't quite blue for ATI right now.

SnakEyez187 said:
Every company in competition with another steals ideas, if this is a new fact of life to you I suggest you get out of the house more.
Dude, why should he go outside more if your daily post @ the [H]ard is 0.74 a day, when his is 0.04 post a day :p

you are teh [N]ot smart.

pxc said:
ATYT fell 11.82% in after hours trading. Ouch.
Damn...that's just sad. :( Hope they can still pull off a nice [H]ard launch...this year of course.

nVidia's first motherboard chipset wasn't so hot neither : ) but look where they are now.

whoami said:
Dude, why should he go outside more if your daily post @ the [H]ard is 0.74 a day, when his is 0.04 post a day :p

you are teh [N]ot smart.

Smaller post count doesnt mean they spend less time on the forums. There are lots of people who browse, but dont post often. Someone can spend 30 mins a day, and post 5 times a day. Another can browse 2 hours, and post just once a day. Your logic isnt very sound.

Also... "teh" isnt, and never was funny...

furocious said:
nVidia's first motherboard chipset wasn't so hot neither : ) but look where they are now.
Which one? The Xbox version sold almost 20 million (as of Jan 2005) and the PC versions (nForce 420/220) were pretty popular at the time. :p

i was talking about the pc version, popularity does not equate to quality, which it was not. But i thoroughly enjoy my nforce 3 : )

furocious said:
i was talking about the pc version, popularity does not equate to quality, which it was not. But i thoroughly enjoy my nforce 3 : )
What was wrong with the nForce 440? I don't remember any and I owned one. :p

But since you just want to bash, I can mention the ATI IGP 320 disaster and continuing southbridge problems (what ATI southbridge? exactly, it's still MIA after 4 years.). I also owned one of those and it was total trash: unstable with sub par performance. So bad that only FIC ever made a motherboard using it. :p

pxc said:
ATI didn't have dual card rendering in 2001. MAXX was a single card and a bad one at that. Remember how quickly ATI dropped it?

ATI still hasn't released a dual card solution yet. And this is 2005.

the r200 was used in dual setups in systems from E&S in 2001

Spank said:
the r200 was used in dual setups in systems from E&S in 2001
So? Those weren't consumer cards and were worthless for gaming and Windows.

Since nvidia owns 3dfx's patents and absorbed many 3dfx engineers, nvidia was still first. :p

pxc said:
So? Those weren't consumer cards and were worthless for gaming and Windows.
Yes they couldent be used for gaming, but dont you think the professionel market have a bit higher standards then the consumer market. I'm sure they could have put it out on the consumer market if there was a need for it, and if there where dual agp mb's avalable.

anyway, ati was capable of shipping systems with multiple gpu's years before nvidia could

Since nvidia owns 3dfx's patents and absorbed many 3dfx engineers, nvidia was still first. :p

yeah they where so far behind in multiple gpu systems that they had to buy the tech to be capable of doing it ;)

Elimi'Xed said:
I realize this, and this is why stocks go up and down, but the reason I responded like that was because of the fact everyones like "OMFG ATIS GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!", so my point is ati still has 200million profit to reinvest, and didn't the r3xx arcitexture that we all know and love (9xxx, X8xx) only cost them 200million to develop, and last I checked there were done/almost done developing the r5xx, in other words, they don't need to spend much more money for there next cash cow, of cource then they have to spend money on developing the r6xx, oh wait whats that they already have a very BASIC r6xx already made?, whats that ATi's basic(very basic) next gen gpu(next as in after this gen ox the 7800, and x900 or whatever ati names them) is in the xbox360 already? My god this MUST mean ATi is dieing!!!!!! not, if ATi's gonna die its not gonna be for at least another 4 years, THEN even if its all down hill from here, they have at least 4 years before they die and thats if EVEYTHING IS DOWNHILL.

//Elimi'Xed

actually if you payed any attention to the replies to this thread you'll realise that no one has said "OMFT ATIS GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!" :rolleyes:

fallguy said:
Smaller post count doesnt mean they spend less time on the forums. There are lots of people who browse, but dont post often. Someone can spend 30 mins a day, and post 5 times a day. Another can browse 2 hours, and post just once a day. Your logic isnt very sound.

Also... "teh" isnt, and never was funny...
wow if you knew that then you should be the one going teh outside..rofl :D

Spank said:
yeah they where so far behind in multiple gpu systems that they had to buy the tech to be capable of doing it ;)
it's the american way.

pxc said:
What was wrong with the nForce 440? I don't remember any and I owned one. :p

But since you just want to bash, I can mention the ATI IGP 320 disaster and continuing southbridge problems (what ATI southbridge? exactly, it's still MIA after 4 years.). I also owned one of those and it was total trash: unstable with sub par performance. So bad that only FIC ever made a motherboard using it. :p

Actually i wasn't "just trying to bash" if it wasn't apparent with my praise of the newest nVidia motherboards. I had severe memory compatibility problems with two different nforce 1 mobos, one of them being made by asus. It was to the point of constant crashing/failure, which was my personal experience with it if you thought i was making a baseless claim. My bad didn't really know about any prior ati chipsets that were aimed at the "enthusiast" market. Got me there.

Kaiga said:
because eeveryone clearly knows they stole it from Nvidia of course and everything ATI rips off from Nvidia ussually sucks anyway.

And everyone clearly knows Nvidia stole it right from 3dfx. *sighs* *hugs voodoo3 3500*

Elimi'Xed said:
I realize this, and this is why stocks go up and down, but the reason I responded like that was because of the fact everyones like "OMFG ATIS GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!", so my point is ati still has 200million profit to reinvest, and didn't the r3xx arcitexture that we all know and love (9xxx, X8xx) only cost them 200million to develop, and last I checked there were done/almost done developing the r5xx, in other words, they don't need to spend much more money for there next cash cow, of cource then they have to spend money on developing the r6xx, oh wait whats that they already have a very BASIC r6xx already made?, whats that ATi's basic(very basic) next gen gpu(next as in after this gen ox the 7800, and x900 or whatever ati names them) is in the xbox360 already? My god this MUST mean ATi is dieing!!!!!! not, if ATi's gonna die its not gonna be for at least another 4 years, THEN even if its all down hill from here, they have at least 4 years before they die and thats if EVEYTHING IS DOWNHILL.

i am watching very closly for an opportunity to buy low and sell high, a properly timed buy (just before R520) and an immediate sell say 72hourslatter could fetch a tidy little profit

bboynitrous said:
And everyone clearly knows Nvidia stole it right from 3dfx. *sighs* *hugs voodoo3 3500*

Do you think you can compare Voodoo SLI with NVIDIA SLI in terms of hardware, technology and features?

Terra...

Elios said:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33826885

check this mess out looks like EVEN ATi isnt sure the R520 is faster

my guess is this is what made the stock take a dump

They are just postureing to have the current cases dismissed. You will note the statement is qualified by the "appropriate clock speed" statement.

I am an Nvidia user but 5 wil get you ten that they are sandbagging and the R520 has the "appropriate clock speed" out of the gate and that you will have a 72hour window to buy sell before Nvidia answers

Elios said:
my guess is this is what made the stock take a dump
um, no. the $100 million lower revenues and "single digit" gross margins did that.

ATI is over. Their stock fell to $10.89!! I bought 10000 for $11.43 yeserday OMG!:eek: :(

Luckily those 10000 stocks are in a virtual stockmarket, so i won't lose any money :cool:

Crosshairs said:
My video card can beat up your video card....

OMFG!!!111
if you would have presented that differently, it might have been funny :(

nickia said:
ATI is over. Their stock fell to $10.89!! I bought 10000 for $11.43 yeserday OMG!:eek: :(

Luckily those 10000 stocks are in a virtual stockmarket, so i won't lose any money :cool:

virtual stockmarket :confused:

since when did we gamers become stock analysts?

Who says all of us are "just gamers?"

I'd like to think that my bachelors in business administration is worth the money I spent on it! :D

with all the problems on their software driver, I am surprise they didn't lost more. Their stock is less than Half of their stock value price since Jan of this yr.

Only Munipulative MM like Lehman Brothers would tell you it is a "Buying opportunity".

ATI is not even close to being dead. ATI is alive and well 1 bad year big deal.

I dont like this, that means Nvidia will be the only major company producing cards. Damnit! My 2nd 7800 will be more expensive =/.

The complaint charges ATI, Kwok Yuen Ho, David E. Orton and Patrick G. Crowley with violations of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. More specifically, the Complaint alleges that the Company failed to disclose and misrepresented the following material adverse facts which were known to defendants or recklessly disregarded by them: (1) that the Company substantially relied on its high-end offerings to fund other parts of its business; (2) that the Company's high-end offerings failed to offset the negative impact of weak gross margins and declining average sales prices in consumer electronics; (3) that the Company, due to production and design issues, was late to the market with its R520 chip, thereby losing market share to both Nvidia Corp. and Intel Corp. which caused downward pricing pressure for ATI; (4) that the Company's inventory levels were at a historic high, while current sales levels were insufficient to support the existing cost base; and (5) that the defendants' positive statements about the Company's progress and future growth lacked in all reasonable basis

The complaint charges ATI Technologies, Kwok Yuen Ho, David E. Orton and Patrick G. Crowley with violations of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. More specifically, the Complaint alleges that the Company failed to disclose and misrepresented the following material adverse facts: (a) the Company was selling desktop and notebook products with lower and lower profit margins; (b) ATI's gross margins were being weakened by high sales of its IGP (integrated graphics processor) products, which have profit margins well below the corporate average; (c) the Company was earning lower-than-anticipated yields on certain products due to operational issues in its own packaging and test areas of its manufacturing process; (d) the Company was experiencing production/design/yield issues with its R520 chip, the release of which was six months behind schedule; (e) the Company was losing market share to arch-rivals Nvidia Corp. and Intel Corp. causing downward pressure on ATI's prices; (f) ATI lost market share to Nvidia in the enthusiast and mainstream markets following the launch of Nvidia's SLI (scalable link interface) chipset in early 2005. The SLI chipset enables the use of two graphics cards instead of one in a desktop computer, allowing desktop users to upgrade graphics at cheaper prices, a product ATI will not have on the market until early August 2005; (g) ATI lost market share to Intel in the notebook computer market, traditionally an area of strength for ATI, because as would later be revealed, Intel's Alviso chipset offers ``more than-adequate'' graphics performance for many notebook computer users; and (h) despite defendants' previous statements to the contrary, a fire at one of the Company's primary suppliers in Taiwan was preventing the Company from receiving necessary supplies

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the ATI corporate boardroom......... Suit 1: "You suck." Suit 2:"No, YOU suck". Suit 1:"Hey, did you sell off the rest of your stock yet?" Suit 2: "All your stock are belong to us". Suit 1: "Lunch at the country club?" Suit 2: "Booya............... all your filet mignon are belong to us."

:D

Lestang said:
ATI is not even close to being dead. ATI is alive and well 1 bad year big deal.

thats what the the CEO of 3Dfx said to its investors it STARTS with "just 1 bad year" then its 2 and 3.... :p

Wow this is really funny pages of people talking like this is some big fight or something. But people need to step back and realize what would actually happen if ATI did fall. Nvidia would run rampent and you would see their bright shiney new cards selling for over a grand each. Compitition protects us the consumer.

Right now ATI owns the AGP market hands down. And in a few weeks or whenever they will more then like give nvidia a run for ther money in the PCIe market. Do you really think Microsoft is going to partner with a dying company. Each and every Xbox ATI will get a little chunk of.

Arialis said:
Right now ATI owns the AGP market hands down. And in a few weeks or whenever they will more then like give nvidia a run for ther money in the PCIe market. .
I put my hands up.

You must have missed the article stating ATi employee's saying their R520 might not be as fast as the 7800GTX..... :confused:

you are teh [F]anboy

Arialis said:
Right now ATI owns the AGP market hands down. And in a few weeks or whenever they will more then like give nvidia a run for ther money in the PCIe market. Do you really think Microsoft is going to partner with a dying company. Each and every Xbox ATI will get a little chunk of.

They do? Not according to everyones sig here or the steam hardware survey. Also NVIDIA is getting a little bite out of every XboX sold.

Microsoft did not "partner" with ATI they only contracted them for a design for a new chip. Most likely they are already done with ATI. Besides PowerVR made the chip for the Sega Dreamcast and I notice how many people are using Kyro cards today.

Back