The simplest problem is the biggest

The Titan

Ownage brought to you by Dr Pepper
For the life of me I cannot get my main machine to talk to the machine on my network that has the printer connected to it. Its funny because I have my secondary machine sitting right next to this hunk of junk and it can see the computer with the printer just fine.

Instead of doing what its supposed to, my main machine throws up some fucking ridiculous error about how it cant find the computer with the printer. I have all the file sharing things enabled. My two machines are both XP. The printer machine is 98.

Like I said my secondary machine and the printer machine can see each other just fine, but this big piece of crap I am sitting in front of keeps insisting on its error infested ways.

Somebody help me. I think I have an additional file sharing option disabled on this machine and I have forgotten where to find it. I have file and printer sharing enabled in the network properties so that isnt it. Thanks for any help.

See if the XP firewall is turned off. In the network settings look at the 'advanced tab', if it's enabled turn it off.

NetBIOS issue. Look for the PC by using the IP instead of the computer name and forget about network places. Also, the only thing that needs to be active to share the printer is file and printer sharing ON the pc that has the printer physically connected. It's irrelevant on the remote machines, at least as far as a remote network printer is concerned. Disable the master browser on the 98 machine and most likely all will be well.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have looked for the IP and it found it. I know the 98 machine is all hooked up and ready because my other XP machine sees the shares just fine. I dont know whats up with this thing. It doesnt matter too much because I can always transfer something I need to print to the other machine, or just do what needs to be printed on the other machien to being with.

I need to reformat my main machine soon, its all so messed up...

Back