The "Show off your VIA System" thread!

EgyptBoy20

Gawd
Well, what better way to start a new subforum than with one of these theads :p . I actually don't have a VIA system, bit I've always wanted to start one of these :) . Well, let's get started!

First pic is my C3 unit in its native environment, it's the comp on top. Second system is an unlidded look at it. It's a C3 800 on a Syntax MATX mobo. Not much power, but really cool and quiet. Great as a jukebox :D BTW, pics are already reduced by 50% in size :eek:

DSCF0675.jpg

DSCF0674.jpg

before I put WaterCooling in it :)
DSCF0194.jpg

um, im fairly sure AlexStenka's pictures arent of a VIA system :confused: , dont have one myself, but they sound interesting.

This is slightly off-topic, but DougLite, would you know of where to get VIA Processors and Motherboards? As in, to build a system? This incredibly low-noise and power consumption is a super-sexy concept and id love to someday start a tiny system of my own :D

I see alot of talk and not alot of "show off" :D Come on guys! Start posting!

Ok you asked to post your via system and I shall deliver.
My mini computer is powered by a Via Epia 500mhz, currently offline at this moment.

My attempt to disguise a computer in a Hp Printer, Thus the HP Laserjet printer mod.

It looks like a printer, but looks can be decieving:
miniprinter2.jpg

Inside of the shell of the printer.
miniprinter3.jpg

Scorpionjwp said:
My mini computer is powered by a Via Epia 500mhz, currently offline at this moment.

My attempt to disguise a computer in a Hp Printer, Thus the HP Laserjet printer mod.

<cut>

<snip>

That is one of the coolest mods I have ever seen :D

custom3.jpg
minipc.jpg

1Ghz Via, I built it for the messiest person in the office who had no room anywhere in his office for a PC b/c its so full of SHIT!!
BTW, see the little mini speakers next to it. They look like an old cassette tape but have to little speakers in it. They sound good for their minute size.

God messy people aggrivate me! :mad:

If he wasn't so messy and computer illiterate, I'd give him a set up like mine:
office2405.jpg

(not via though!)
3.06Ghz Dell 4550 w/ GF 6200, 1gb ram, etc., Dell color laser, Dell 2405 moniter, etc.

chrisf6969 said:
3.06Ghz Dell 4550 w/ GF 6200, 1gb ram, etc., Dell color laser, Dell 2405 moniter, etc.

Always pimpin' that 2405 :mad:

I need to fix my car, I need to fix my car...

chrisf6969 said:
Jealous much?! ;) Don't be hating! :D

kinda, I've been torn apart whether or not to get the 2405... expecially at this point when the HDCP-enable 2407 is just around the corner

Scorpionjwp said:

My good'ness, that's a great mod! I can't belive it with my own eyes. YeeHaa.

If I ever get a car, I'll probably build a little C7 based carPC with flash drive for music playback, GPS, etc. How cool would it be to have a full function computer audio setup in a car (I know its been done).

Until then though, im stuck look at other's Via computers.

towert7 said:
How cool would it be to have a full function computer audio setup in a car (I know its been done)

Let me tell ya, it's pretty damn neat
:D

I've got one in my car :)

ScHpAnKy said:
kinda, I've been torn apart whether or not to get the 2405... expecially at this point when the HDCP-enable 2407 is just around the corner
slight OT: what does HDCP give you? I mean what do you need it for, what is the benefit of it?

drizzt81 said:
slight OT: what does HDCP give you? I mean what do you need it for, what is the benefit of it?
It allows you to play protected HD content as it becomes available
Take it for what it's worth...

I had a Via ITX system til the MB died. I haven't replaced it yet. I even had a case mod planned around the ITX. Maybe this summer I will get to it.

Emission said:
This is slightly off-topic, but DougLite, would you know of where to get VIA Processors and Motherboards? As in, to build a system? This incredibly low-noise and power consumption is a super-sexy concept and id love to someday start a tiny system of my own :D

Frys Electronics usually has two or three different VIA CPU/MB products in stock.

This goes for eeryone posting here and not just those who have done it already but:

When you quote a picture, remove the
tags from around the url. That way pages load faster. Thanks. :D

Great job scorp! So whats it gonna be a rogue secret agent print server?

If only the printer originally had an lcd... oah the possibilities

DeadlyAura said:
This goes for eeryone posting here and not just those who have done it already but:

When you quote a picture, remove the
tags from around the url. That way pages load faster. Thanks. :D

your pc must be running on a via chip

/i keed i keed

I'll post in here to reserve space for mine. I've got an EPIA M10000 modded into an old DVD settop box(from a friend when it died, and I gutted it). The power button on front turns it on, the red power led is the hdd led, and I drilled out the original IR LED for the remote and put a blue led for power. It has a 40GB 2.5" drive and currently being used for mame on my tv. I'm thinking of putting a larger desktop drive in it now and using it with MythTV, as long as I can find somewhere to sandwich a PCI card in the slimline case.

Also on the to do list, build a stand for my Xarcade controller.

Pherret said:
Great job scorp! So whats it gonna be a rogue secret agent print server?

If only the printer originally had an lcd... oah the possibilities

Hey, that gives me an idea :cool:

ianshot said:
I had a Via ITX system til the MB died. I haven't replaced it yet. I even had a case mod planned around the ITX. Maybe this summer I will get to it.
How did the board die? I've noticed the Via ITX boards use 2nd or 3rd tier capacitors, hardly something I'd pay a premium for. ie I'm recapping my Via mainboard because of this, they are bad.

Not saying the newer ones are bad, just something to keep an eye on.

MD

I am reserving a slot for the VIA ststem that I will have running as soon as the case and HDD gets here. :D

The system specs:
VIA C3 chipset
1 Gb G.Skill DDR400
80Gb Western Digital Hard Drive

Emission said:

http://www.logicsupply.com/

Note: all linked pics are 5MPixel+! I need to get around to resizing them for forum use.

My latest toy:
Top:
http://tom61.arcadecontrols.com/pics/ebcboard.jpg

Ports view:
http://tom61.arcadecontrols.com/pics/ebcports.jpg

1GHz Via Eden processor, USB 2.0, dual lans, takes a DDR SODIMM, Compact Flash type I/II socket, built-in audio, runs off 5Volts (see http://www.bcmcom.com/bcm_product_ebc3266.htm ). If it wasn't for the connectors projecting off the edge, it would fit in a 3.5" floppy bay. About the size of Nano-ITX, but with the advantage of needing only 5 Volts.

I'm planning on making this into a hand-holdable PC, like the OQO, or the Intel Ruby concept. Sketch of plans: http://tom61.arcadecontrols.com/pics/plans.jpg

Worklog: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=892708
Note: project switched from the board below to board above on page 7, post 137.

Older board:
http://tom61.arcadecontrols.com/pics/10-30-05_upcparts.jpg

Advantech PCM-9574 motherboard Socket 370 (P3/Celeron/C3) board that takes mostly laptop parts (has mini-IDE and SODIMM slots). 2.5MB integrated video (no sharing with main RAM), not great, but plenty for 2D stuff. Via C3 processor, not the fastest performer, but makes Celeron look power-hungry by comparision. The really neat thing about this board is that it only needs +5Volts, it converts every other voltage needed internally(except 12Volts for the CPU fan). Will fit in a CDROM bay, and I briefly had a project to fit this board with cdrom and harddrive in a single bay (may try again), before doing the project linked above.

Older but forum-friendly sized pic of the board:
apr15_06.jpg

You should make the slot a spot for a sata HDD. Hot swappable and stuff :)

Sean22190 said:
You should make the slot a spot for a sata HDD. Hot swappable and stuff :)

I am going to cut down an 8 track tape and glue it in place.

Back