The Samsung QLED q90a will be released in a 43" model.

What test pattern? It absolutely has to be unscaled, whatever image you have used.

This is the old image I made to test for the problem on the FV43U (had to go hunting for it heh). In theory all the grey lines and text should be the same colour. If your screen has the issue, the horizontal lines on the grid get directly affected by the white or black pixels that sit above them, causing them to look lighter on the white canvas and darker on the black one. Again, this must be viewed with no scaling, desktop or browser, with the TV at its native 4k or it will smoothen the image and ruin the test.

View attachment 496914

Yes, the text is tiny. No it isn't a real world example of text you'd read on such a display. This is simply to test whether the pixel interference is a thing on your panel.

Also view this image at both the top and bottom of your screen - as per the Amazon review posted above, it is entirely correct that the issue is at its worst at the top of the screen and virtually non-existent (but still there if you know what to look for) at the bottom.

Some people can happily live with this dent in image quality that can't be fixed, I never could.
I just tested with this image and it does distort the white on black text at the top screen only. I didn't notice a difference on the black on white text. So the issue is real and can be seen in this specific test, but I don't think its something that should sway people from buying this display. Even if both the FV43U and 43QN90B have the same issue, and given the difference in price, I'd still choose the samsung for better dimming, remote, and smart tv features. There aren't that many options at this size and I think this is probably the best unless you are comfortable with an oled.

I just tested with this image and it does distort the white on black text at the top screen only. I didn't notice a difference on the black on white text. So the issue is real and can be seen in this specific test, but I don't think its something that should sway people from buying this display. Even if both the FV43U and 43QN90B have the same issue, and given the difference in price, I'd still choose the samsung for better dimming, remote, and smart tv features. There aren't that many options at this size and I think this is probably the best unless you are comfortable with an oled.
Thanks for testing, appreciate it.

Senn, (or anyone that is knowledgeable about pixel technology) do you think this affects anything other than the test sample image? Is there a way to prove that it affects images or movies or games? How can we test this?

Last edited:
Thanks for testing, appreciate it.

Senn, (or anyone that is knowledgeable about pixel technology) do you think this affects anything other than the test sample image? Is there a way to prove that it affects images or movies or games? How can we test this?
Technically it affects everything the display does at all times as it's inherent to the panel and nothing can get around it.

Practically if you're using the display only for entertainment and you're sat at a somewhat sensible distance you'll likely never see it. Plenty seem to be using the FV43U as a pure gaming and media consumption display and they get along with it just fine.

I'm using large format displays for work (CAD) as well as gaming and the pixel interference on the FV became a headache inducing bane. It's a "can't unsee" thing and I hate it. It makes 100% scaled text look weird. It made grey-on-black lines, something I use a lot, look completely broken. I don't understand why, years later, they haven't revised the panel and anyone building 43" displays is lumbered with this problem. It is, in my opinion, utter crap for desktop use.

Anyway... thanks guys for indulging me on this whole thing yet again! :geek: I am fortunate that this time I'm not stuck on a display that does this and am content with what I have. All it has proven is that I can't yet get a 43" display and expect it to work for me and my use case.

Alright I'm over the 43 and not waiting till next year as I wanted to try the smaller 43 but I wasn't entirely sure I would prefer it over the 50 so I just went for the 50 B.

There is a 50" QN90B sitting on my desk right now installing the latest firmware update and it looks amazing.

Best buy open box 1146.99 minus the 150 gift card promotion they have on offer right now means I got the 50 QN90B for a little over a grand after taxes lel.

I can confirm that the 50 is a champ at 144hz the motion clarity is + 1/6th% faster I'll take it lol the added 24fps is noticeable I am very happy as It is just a better version of the QN90À which I already loved and is in my living room now.

I'd like to add that the local dimming algorithm is noticeably better also. I didn't think I would notice it but I can honestly say I do notice the improvement after a bit of use. The blooming is virtually undetectable at all. The tweaks they made are definite plus. Watching 4k HDR demos look noticeably better. I'm impressed even more that I already was with the 90A.

Highly recommend the QN90B or QN90A can't go wrong with either both fantastic bomb proof displays.

Last edited:
Alright I'm over the 43 and not waiting till next year as I wanted to try the smaller 43 but I wasn't entirely sure I would prefer it over the 50 so I just went for the 50 B.

There is a 50" QN90B sitting on my desk right now installing the latest firmware update and it looks amazing.

Best buy open box 1146.99 minus the 150 gift card promotion they have on offer right now means I got the 50 QN90B for a little over a grand after taxes lel.

I can confirm that the 50 is a champ at 144hz the motion clarity is + 1/6th% faster I'll take it lol the added 24fps is noticeable I am very happy as It is just a better version of the QN90À which I already loved and is in my living room now.

I'd like to add that the local dimming algorithm is noticeably better also. I didn't think I would notice it but I can honestly say I do notice the improvement after a bit of use. The blooming is virtually undetectable at all. The tweaks they made are definite plus. Watching 4k HDR demos look noticeably better. I'm impressed even more that I already was with the 90A.

Highly recommend the QN90B or QN90A can't go wrong with either both fantastic bomb proof displays.

Good to know there is an option out there if someone didn't want to go OLED. OLED seems great, but man I think I would miss the brightness of my LCD.

Last edited:
I have a tip and a question.

The tip is if you want to get rid of all the advertisements on the home screen just update your firmware online, restart the tv, delete your internet connection from the network list, reset the tv to "factory" settings by pressing 0000 at the pin confirmation screen, restart the tv again and it will save the firmware update but delete any and all the bloatware advertisements that choke the home screen slowing it down. Now my home screen is clean & clear and much faster with no unwanted ads because this is to be used as a monitor not a traditional tv since I don't use any of the apps at all. That's what the living room tv is for.

The question is do you leave HDR10+ on basic or advanced?

The tip is if you want to get rid of all the advertisements on the home screen
My Raspberry Pi 4 running Pi-hole does a good job of this but most of the time I just disconnect the TV from the internet entirely.

It's my monitor, I don't need any of the "smart" stuff at all. Nor do I like the idea of the thing constantly calling home, even with a Pi-hole in the way.

My Raspberry Pi 4 running Pi-hole does a good job of this but most of the time I just disconnect the TV from the internet entirely.

It's my monitor, I don't need any of the "smart" stuff at all. Nor do I like the idea of the thing constantly calling home, even with a Pi-hole in the way.
This.
Mine was only ever online when testing to see what it can do.
Since then its not had a wire plugged in.

For anyone that wants a 43" HDR but can live with 60hz, the 43" QN90A is now on sale at Amazon for $697

For anyone that wants a 43" HDR but can live with 60hz, the 43" QN90A is now on sale at Amazon for $697
And be warned that the pixel row interference/bleeding issue will 100% be on both the 90A and 90B at 43".
I don't regret the 50" for a single second because of this but I do understand the size is a bit much for some.

Back