The RTX 2070 Will be Released on October 17

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Nvidia says the RTX 2070 will be available on October 17, starting at $499 for the regular version or $599 for the Founders Edition. Interestingly, Videocardz claims the 2070 will use a fully enabled TU106 GPU, and is the only card to use the silicon so far. That means Nvidia could theoretically launch a cut down version of the GPU as an RTX 2060, although that's purely speculation at this point.

The GeForce RTX 2070 will be available on October 17th. #GraphicsReinvented

This will likely be slotted in between the 1080/1080ti in performance and I'm not really sure who that appeals to given the price.

While a small niche, the 2070 is the cheapest card with tensor cores so far. Assuming the cores are exposed, I can see scientists and engineers who can't justify a Titan/EC2 instance picking one up for AI inferencing.

I'm actually thinking about slapping one in someone else's transcoding box. My 980 TI runs one particular AI video upscaler at like 2FPS on a good day, and I'd be interested to see if a 2070 can speed that up to something sane.

Last edited:
158704_upload_2018-9-24_16-8-15.png
And they said our two 2080 to cards would ship the 20th...

Last edited:
ah, the price on this seems to be more reasonable...
If it is $499 and is reasonably faster than a 1080, which is around US$500 right now, then this could possibly be a bargain.

If it is $499 and is reasonably faster than a 1080, which is around US$500 right now, then this could possibly be a bargain.

This also means we're accepting $500 as a price for a mid range card. Founders edition is only a few dollars short of what I paid for a launch 980ti.

So the 2060 will be what? $400?

Where are the cards good enough for sombody who only wants to spend a little over $100 but still play games?

AMD really needs to give the market a new 5770. This is out of control.

This also means we're accepting $500 as a price for a mid range card. Founders edition is only a few dollars short of what I paid for a launch 980ti.

Where are the cards good enough for sombody who only wants to spend a little over $100 but still play games?

Yeah, it's not like I agree with the price either. However, depending on performance and how the prices of 1080Ti stay, a 2070 could possibly be a better buy than a 1080Ti.

There is more than just gaming at stake with these cards, they are half workstation so yeah the low end price will have to increase, what you are getting out of these cards the 900 series pales to.

I'm more interested in the GTX 2060 since in theory it should be much cheaper as it has no tensor cores the 1060 6gb are still $260+.

Judging based on every other card they've released with a Founders' Edition, AIBs will base their pricing on the FE price, the "MSRP" will be a pipe dream, and all 2070 cards will be $599+

Which would make them $100 more than the comparable 1080, thus being as disappointing as the 2080. It will, at least, be consistent.

It's really more like $599, as AIB partners have historically ignored the MSRP and priced based on the FE price.

I'm sure the 2060 will be $450. Nvidia seems to be taking Apple approach of increasing prices figuring that they'll sell anyway to the loyal fans.

Did the $100 card ever really exist? I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a card lower than a 1060 3GB or 470/570 for gaming, before those prices got blown up by mining.

I feel like if you wanted to spend less than $150 on a GPU, you should just get an AMD APU with decent integrated graphics.

I don't think we'll see capable sub $300 cards from nvidia anymore. Hopefully AMD will get that covered.

This will likely be slotted in between the 1080/1080ti in performance and I'm not really sure who that appeals to given the price.
This I think it should match a stock 1080Ti overclocked as well and be priced around 1070Ti. I can't see them being able to price gouge as hard on the RTX2070 because RTRT might not even be a option or at least severely hampered to the point can't be taken seriously enough. We shall see though. I do see the DLSS at least being useful though that arguably the best new feature on RTX cards much sharper and more fluid in motion than TAA. I wonder if something of things I spoke about in this thread back in May partially reamed Nvidia about helped lead to DLSS. I'm curious on the exactly mechanics of DLSS inner works.
https://hardforum.com/threads/last-gen-games-max-iq-and-perf-on-todays-gpus-h.1961135/

I'm thinking DLSS is similar even to something I toyed with in GIMP at one point w/ transparency image blending. I experimented a bit on the (4xBRZ and HQ4x filters) Here's a image I found and experimented some with. It's show original, HD4x, and 4xBRZ.

Original comparison
ga.png

Here I used GIMP and played with 4xBRZ/HQ4x with 2 layers and transparency. I settled on using 4xBRZ as a top layer with Lighten Only mode and HQ4x as second layer with Darken Only mode applied.
4xBRZ%20Lighten%20HQ4x%20Darken_zpslxjscnqj.png

I also did that same procedure, but then duplicate of default texture layer used for top layer with a overlay. What it shows though is that the two filters along with original can be conjoined to get a more subtle and natural transition between them. The filters are mostly used for old emulators for sprite based games though they've been used in some old FPS games too like quake and doom to make them look more modern to decent effect.

Normal%20Overlay%204xBRZ%20Lighten%20HQ4x%20Darken%202_zps6frewv94.png

In the case of DSLL what I think perhaps is being done is NVIDIA renders at the native resolution say 1080p down samples it to a lower one like 720p then up scales that image to 4K and blends all three images together similar to what I did with GIMP. What you'd get is a combination of more detail and more aliasing like my bottom example. It's probably still less taxing than DSR 4.00X is even though you're up scaling a lower than native resolution since detail isn't being added just scaling, but blended together with the original image in a selective post processing manner. I thought I'd share it since it was sort of a neat experiment. You can do funky stuff with PS/GIMP and layering. In my case I was experimenting with how HQ4x and 4xBRZ would look when layered together in different ways. I find both of my results to look superior overall regardless of which you prefer a more overall smooth look tho perhaps less accurate in spots or best of both worlds. I prefer the bottom image for the record it looks closest to the original, but more detailed at the same time because it was blended with the original as well.

Not at all. If you paid $500 last gen and have a 1080, does 500 for a ~10% performance jump seem worthwhile? If you're getting 100 frame rates, 110 won't be that much better. If you're getting 50 and get to 55, you're still below 60. If you're getting 40, 44 will still suck.

I wonder if they'll have the 2080 ti's out before this 'launches'.

This I think it should match a stock 1080Ti overclocked as well and be priced around 1070Ti. I can't see them being able to price gouge as hard on the RTX2070 because RTRT might not even be a option or at least severely hampered to the point can't be taken seriously enough. We shall see though. I do see the DLSS at least being useful though that arguably the best new feature on RTX cards much sharper and more fluid in motion than TAA. I wonder if something of things I spoke about in this thread back in May partially reamed Nvidia about helped lead to DLSS. I'm curious on the exactly mechanics of DLSS inner works.
https://hardforum.com/threads/last-gen-games-max-iq-and-perf-on-todays-gpus-h.1961135/

I'm thinking DLSS is similar even to something I toyed with in GIMP at one point w/ transparency image blending. I experimented a bit on the (4xBRZ and HQ4x filters) Here's a image I found and experimented some with. It's show original, HD4x, and 4xBRZ.

Original comparison
View attachment 106304

Here I used GIMP and played with 4xBRZ/HQ4x with 2 layers and transparency. I settled on using 4xBRZ as a top layer with Lighten Only mode and HQ4x as second layer with Darken Only mode applied.
View attachment 106305

I also did that same procedure, but then duplicate of default texture layer used for top layer with a overlay. What it shows though is that the two filters along with original can be conjoined to get a more subtle and natural transition between them. The filters are mostly used for old emulators for sprite based games though they've been used in some old FPS games too like quake and doom to make them look more modern to decent effect.

View attachment 106306

In the case of DSLL what I think perhaps is being done is NVIDIA renders at the native resolution say 1080p down samples it to a lower one like 720p then up scales that image to 4K and blends all three images together similar to what I did with GIMP. What you'd get is a combination of more detail and more aliasing like my bottom example. It's probably still less taxing than DSR 4.00X is even though you're up scaling a lower than native resolution since detail isn't being added just scaling, but blended together with the original image in a selective post processing manner. I thought I'd share it since it was sort of a neat experiment. You can do funky stuff with PS/GIMP and layering. In my case I was experimenting with how HQ4x and 4xBRZ would look when layered together in different ways. I find both of my results to look superior overall regardless of which you prefer a more overall smooth look tho perhaps less accurate in spots or best of both worlds. I prefer the bottom image for the record it looks closest to the original, but more detailed at the same time because it was blended with the original as well.

I gave up on all these filters in my MAME games long time ago. 4xBRZ seem to be best one

Not at all. If you paid $500 last gen and have a 1080, does 500 for a ~10% performance jump seem worthwhile? If you're getting 100 frame rates, 110 won't be that much better. If you're getting 50 and get to 55, you're still below 60. If you're getting 40, 44 will still suck.

No, I have a 1070Ti.

At this point the performance of the 2070 is purely speculative, so why don't we wait for actual numbers before getting into an argument of how much better a 2070 is or is not over a 1080/Ti.

no it's not but there's a lot of us that didn't bother going high end 10 series and hell there's still a lot of people running 980ti's and 970's(that being said there's no way in hell i'm buying an RTX card).. those are the only people i could even see bothering the pay the price premium for the RTX features that can't even be used yet on basically a 1080.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
Judging based on every other card they've released with a Founders' Edition, AIBs will base their pricing on the FE price, the "MSRP" will be a pipe dream, and all 2070 cards will be $599+

Which would make them $100 more than the comparable 1080, thus being as disappointing as the 2080. It will, at least, be consistent.

entirely possible.
Oh well, I'll be waiting for reviews and prices to actually show up.

Which means right around launch you are going to see cards in the Range of 599.00 and 699.00 You know this is probably going to happen.... right??? I mean all you have to look at the price manipulation going on now and judge it from there. I even think that there might be a ahem... Delay... on the launch as well. Got to make sure that all of the series 10 video card overstock that is kept artificially high be sold before these cards cut into their profit margins.

In this way they can even make lees of a lower mark down in pricing during the November Cyber week sales as well as December holidays.

Yea... I'm a Bastard. I can see what they are probably going to do through their marketing perspective.

So we can likely expect roughly the same single card performance as a 1080, but with slightly lower power draw, and as high an over-inflated price tag as during the peak of the mining craze.

As much as I enjoy using their products, I have to wonder if they just wanted to push your opinions out a touch further. Sissy babies! You're on the NV no-fly list.

That said, I'm interested in an AIB 2080 at some point. I'll wait for a solid [H] review and general availability/normalized prices before I do it though. Of course, I'm speculating that there won't be a run on them for anything stupid like mining before then.

Too late; that's already more than my mortgage payment. :p

Too late; that's already more than my mortgage payment. :p

I WISH that was my mortgage payment! Mine's nearly 3x the price of the projected baseline AIB 2080. :cry: That's the Seattle area for you though. We're trying really hard to hit SF and NY prices. Not there yet, but trying our best. :D

I would be suprised if it is as quick as a 1080Ti considering that the RTX2080 is only around 10% faster than a 1080Ti

It sort of appeals to me as I don't want to fork over a lot of $ for a video card atm (expensive glass is what I'm saving for) as gaming for me is pretty down on the list. My Titan X (maxwell) is over 3 years old now, but I might as well keep waiting until it dies and then consider buying something new.

While a small niche, the 2070 is the cheapest card with tensor cores so far. Assuming the cores are exposed, I can see scientists and engineers who can't justify a Titan/EC2 instance picking one up for AI inferencing.

I'm actually thinking about slapping one in someone else's transcoding box. My 980 TI runs one particular AI video upscaler at like 2FPS on a good day, and I'd be interested to see if a 2070 can speed that up to something sane.

nvidious has a habit of artificially crippling compute performance in their drivers for consumer level cards. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do the same here.

OMG, at that price the RTX is sure to be shit speed as the 2080 can barely hit 26fps.

WHY not get a ebay 1080ti for 500 instead?

How can 500 be the New mid range price.

I hope AMD or (gulps) Intel can break this racket at affordable rates.

Not sure what the 2070 would be for. By the time it comes out you'd probably be able to get a closeout 1080 for $200 or so less, and with a slight overclock equal the performance of the 2070.

1070ti used for $300 or 2070 for $599?
I'd love to see a comparison between these two cards in the 2070 review and how much performance gained for double the price.

Seriously man, it sucks that this is being forced as the new norm, obviously things don't go backwards. I get a little raise for inflation and all that but jeez.

5770 and GTX 460, those were great affordable cards. And when you got two they were beastly.

Back