The Router NON-Recommendation Thread

rflcptr

Supreme [H]ardness
I've just added the Linksys WRT120N wireless router to my list of fail. Even after trying different firmware, internet access was noticeably slower than through a direct connection, connections dropped, settings didn't stick, it couldn't be pinged externally or internally (with or without any security), it erroneously displayed the external IP, randomly rebooted, etc, etc. Configuring it remotely also refused to work, leaving me to do it through Remote Assistance, so it's being returned and replaced with a Linksys WRT54GL.

Which ones have you disliked? :p

some Linksys wireless n. Can't remember the model. It was a horrible horrible piece of shit. I actually could not get my Linksys wireless USB adapter to connect to it. Even when attempting to use factory default settings on the POS router.

I then managed to get to my parents and snag my good ole WRT54G.

I'm not sure why people still buy and install the WRT54G. Its older than dirt. There are quite a few routers available now that are significantly better both in reliability and capability. The Netgear WNDR3700 comes to mind. The last time I used a WRT54G was 6+ years ago. It was cool back then but it pales in comparison to a modern device.

I'm not sure why people still buy and install the WRT54G. Its older than dirt. There are quite a few routers available now that are significantly better both in reliability and capability. The Netgear WNDR3700 comes to mind. The last time I used a WRT54G was 6+ years ago. It was cool back then but it pales in comparison to a modern device.

just had a customer with 2 of these today WRT54g's they are temperamental PIECES OF SHIT!

Customer didn't want to buy new one because he spent good money on them LONG time ago, i did a firm ware update on it today to show him how old and out dated it was. End of the day it started acting up and he blamed me because i didn't know how to set it up, so i said fine, YOU or your son configure it then and lets see how stable it is! His son reboots to factory settings then puts in information it works for about 8 min ish, then fails WEIRD!

told him buy a new one but he refuses, so i said to him well thats your problem if your internet is not stable not mine!

In regards to the its capabilities, my reasoning for the WRT54GL was application and price. Most of the time, the girlfiend is the only person who'll be using it and the most network-intensive thing she does is Skype video calling (which the WRT120N, even wired into, failed miserably at). So for $50 shipped, I got a NIB router that I'm very familiar with and can be quickly set up during one of the long-distance visits I make every other weekend or so. :)

I've got to question your claim of "significantly better reliability," though. How'd you conclude it?

when I rarely use wireless (and even when I do, my laptop only supports G), have had absolutely no issues what-so-ever with my WRT54G running HyperWRT, I could not give a fuck if it's older than dirt.
It's been reliable for me for 6+ years.

Why should I upgrade when what I have already works for me? :)

not to mention, a newer Linksys wouldn't work with a Linksys USB wireless adapter, but worked fine with my laptop which has built-in Intel wireless chipset. Yet the "older than dirt" "unreliable" WRT54G works flawlessly.

Hell, I hooked up my even more ancient BEFSR41 at my parents when I took my WRT54G back. And it also works absolutely flawlessly.

"Network Anywhere" products...which at one point they used the Linksys icon in their label, and their website is still a twin to the original Linksys site
http://www.networkeverywhere.com/

Story behind it, a very large ISP placed an order with Linksys for a huge production batch of CPE whitebox routers. The ISP folded, Linksys was stuck with a huge batch of them, and they offloaded them under the "Network Anywhere" label.

Horrible junk.

Although Netgears current routers are good, their middle years routers (white plastic ones)...I've not had good times with many of those. This is shortly after Netgear branched away from Bay Networks..so after the blue steel cased ones.

I've generally had decent luck with DLink and Belkin wireless gear...except for one entry level business grade DLink "thin client" access points driven by the des1228p Smart Switch.

Back