The Robot Lawyers are Here

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
AI is probably going to take over many simple jobs, but maybe lawyers are on the way out as well. There was a contest that took place last month that pitted 100 lawyers against an AI program called Case Cruncher Alpha. The contestants were given the basic facts of hundreds of PPI mis-selling cases and were asked to predict whether the claim would be allowed. The AI had an accuracy of 86.6% and the lawyers had 66.3% accuracy. Not too shabby for an AI developed by four Cambridge law students. I don't believe an AI is anywhere close to arguing a case in court, but it might be able to do a lot of the up front grunt work for the trial.

Ian Dodd thinks AI may replace some of the grunt work done by junior lawyers and paralegals but no machine can talk to a client or argue in front of a High Court judge. He puts it simply: "The knowledge jobs will go, the wisdom jobs will stay."

From the headline I totally thought there were lawyers now that actually represent robots and AI. Does not a AI and robots deserve to have rights? #rememberthematrix

From the headline I totally thought there were lawyers now that actually represent robots and AI. Does not a AI and robots deserve to have rights? #rememberthematrix
Same here. A better headline would have been "The Robotic Lawyers are Here"

I think this is one profession everyone can agree has too many practitioners of. Fewer lawyers isn't necessarily a bad thing!

I think this is one profession everyone can agree has too many practitioners of. Fewer lawyers isn't necessarily a bad thing!

Unfortunately what they are really saying is "we're going to make lawyers more productive".

Great, I wonder if I will have better luck getting a hold of these robo-lawyers than my actual real Attorney.

Shame.... Looking up legal cases really helps them build up their case memory.

"Google, what should I say next?"

if you dump all the lawyer cases ever recorded into a high functioning AI, it can use binding precedent same as any lawyer. What they can't do, unless programmed too, is lie or try to sway the jury using crafty words - what a wonderful change it will be

I remember seeing exactly this in an episode of The Paper Chase in the early 80s.
...except the humans had Kingsfield!

Back