The Road to PS5 - Deep Dive into PlayStation 5's system architecture

nguyen704

[H]ard|Gawd

The presentation will be starting at 9 AM PDT and is exactly 52 minutes and 45 seconds. Details and information will be added during or after.

Specs:
  • CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
  • Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
  • Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
  • Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
  • IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
  • Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
  • External Storage: USB HDD Support
  • Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

Last edited:
We're in daylight savings time, so it's actually starting at 9AM PDT or 12PM EDT.

Live now. God, I already can't stand the sound of this guy's voice...

I agree, I've never heard him actually talk before. I think I'll wait until it's over and read the transcript.

17 minutes in and still just droning on about the SSD. Of course things can't be simple for console manufacturers.

Full specs from Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

I feel like it was a bit of a tactical mistake to use the GDC talk so soon after XBox did their big reveal to Digital Foundry and other websites. Releasing this so soon makes it seem like a direct response. 650k people watching is consumers looking for Sony's response to Microsoft's first shot and this type of presentation I feel isn't well suited for that audience.

Wondering if Microsoft knew this talk was coming and timed their Digital Foundry reveal to preempt it.

I feel like it was a bit of a tactical mistake to use the GDC talk so soon after XBox did their big reveal to Digital Foundry and other websites. Releasing this so soon makes it seem like a direct response. 650k people watching is consumers looking for Sony's response to Microsoft's first shot and this type of presentation I feel isn't well suited for that audience.

Wondering if Microsoft knew this talk was coming and timed their Digital Foundry reveal to preempt it.

Wouldn't be surprised if MS originally planned to reveal specs at GDC as well. They did have a talk planned for the convention.

Full specs from Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

2/3 the CUs as the Series X running at 6/5 the speed. The clock speed isn't going to make up for the severe deficit in shaders. Interesting they went this way considering the original Xbox One was widely blasted for its own weak GPU compared to the PS4. I wonder if Sony is going this way to undercut Microsoft on price.

2/3 the CUs as the Series X running at 6/5 the speed. The clock speed isn't going to make up for the severe deficit in shaders. Interesting they went this way considering the original Xbox One was widely blasted for its own weak GPU compared to the PS4. I wonder if Sony is going this way to undercut Microsoft on price.

Notably slower memory bandwidth too...Well, at least compared to the GPU optimized memory in the SX.

The big difference between this and Xbox.

PS5 36 CUs, and 52 CUs for XBSX. 44% more for Xbox.

Hope Sony is planning a lower price.

Its obviously still early days and a lot depends on final pricing of the consoles, but I feel like Microsoft really learned from their terrible missteps with the X Box One reveal that was immediately upstaged by the PS4 announce. They are doing a much better job of working the enthusiast media. After seeing the Digital Foundry article on the PS5, I don't really feel like I need to watch the rest of that GDC talk. Sony is keeping the PS5 much more under wraps than the Xbox and the big reveal is yet to come. I'm hoping for pleasant surprises ahead but from the specs at least the XBox seems more powerful.

Hope Sony is planning a lower price.
Assuming MS only has one X, despite what "Series" would imply.

They could release a line of them, with the top end at $799 or $999.

Last edited:
Lower price than what though? MS hasn't committed to any price, and they could be releasing a line (Series) of X's with the top end one at $799 or $999

Yeah, no. They're not going to release a console that expensive. Also, do you seriously think Sony and MS aren't aware of what the other is doing before anything is announced?

Lower price than what though? MS hasn't committed to any price, and they could be releasing a line (Series) of X's with the top end one at $799 or $999

That's kinda why I think it will all come down to price. There were news reports that Sony was having trouble getting the price of the PS5 down to $500 with just parts alone costing around $450. Not seeing how Microsoft can get the Xbox Series X down that low unless they are willing to take a substantial initial loss. (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-with-playstation-5-price-due-to-costly-parts)

Fuck consoles in general but I can already tell series X will be undoubtedly more powerful than ps5. Unfortunately as always with game development, it will fall to the weakest chain in the link which is piece of shit 5 so we'll have another generation of weak games. Oh but don't worry at least Sony focused on the ssd!

The fact that creepy lesbian Dana Carvey (lol) was shying away from CU counts already told me all I needed to about this thing vs series X.

Is it going to have a real Gran Turismo released for it? That's the only way they're getting me to buy another PlayStation.

Seems to be a bit beyond traditional spatial audio.
It sounds fancy, but is it really going to make a huge difference? Seems like the majority opinion of similar algorithms on PC is it's lackluster.

It sounds fancy, but is it really going to make a huge difference? Seems like the majority opinion of similar algorithms on PC is it's lackluster.

That is a good question.

"Maybe you'll send us a picture of your ear" WTF!?

Fuck consoles in general but I can already tell series X will be undoubtedly more powerful than ps5. Unfortunately as always with game development, it will fall to the weakest chain in the link which is piece of shit 5 so we'll have another generation of weak games. Oh but don't worry at least Sony focused on the ssd!

The fact that creepy lesbian Dana Carvey (lol) was shying away from CU counts already told me all I needed to about this thing vs series X.
Calm down dude. I am disappointed in the specs but it won't hold anything back. Both Xbox and PS5 are basically PC and will be easy to scale with how similar the hardware base is.

Comparing the specs to Xbox Series X, I'm a bit disappointed but that may change depending on how they price the system.

I bet it's cheaper, but i still don't see why anyone buys xobx? Just buy a pc, makes no sense.

I bet it's cheaper, but i still don't see why anyone buys xobx? Just buy a pc, makes no sense.

Because most people don't want to buy a PC to play games on. How is this a hard concept for people to understand?

Did I miss it, or did they still not show the console yet? Gamescom is still going on this summer, so maybe the final design will be revealed there. Sony and Microsoft are probably still trying to "out wait" each other on revealing pricing.

Back