The Risk of Waiting for Windows 7

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
This blog addresses the popular sentiment among XP users to skip Vista and wait for Windows 7. Definitely some interesting points made but it seemed a bit light to me. Are you XP users willing to wait until 2010 for a new version of Windows?

The first thing that you need to bear in mind is that there no firm date for the release of Windows 7. The ballpark guess range is between late 2009 or early 2010. Pundits are carpet-bombing that range with guesses as to when we’ll see Windows 7, but remember that they are all guesses right now. And there’s even no guarantee that the 7’s release date won’t fall outside of this range.

Willing to wait for what reason? I used Vista on my main pc for 4 months, until it was time to replace the mb/cpu again, then I went back to XP. If I was unhappy with XP I doubt I would have stuck with it for so many years. If I was excited by Vista I would have stuck with it and have moved all my other machines on to it. Until something better comes along I'm quite happy to stick with my boring old OS. ;)

I am waiting for Windows7, but in the mean time, I am very content with using XP. I tried Vista....and it lasted all of one day, and then I reinstalled WinXp. =)

Ive been using WindowsXp back since the end of 2001, when I was 8 years old, and I can wait another 1 or 2 years for a deserving replacement.

I have no problem with Windows Vista but just knowing it is being re-tooled, more or less, for release as Windows 7 makes it an even harder purchase to justify.

I'm waiting for Windows 7 but wont get it until until it has stabilised.
No doubt I will dual boot for a while.

I may be swayed to get Vista first if DX10 shows any tangible benefits.
To do this I will need to run an external IP filter as Protowall doesnt function well in Vista, so its not without effort/cost for me.
I'd rather defer this change until Windows 7.

I'm waiting until Windows 7 comes out before considering moving from XP. The only reason I would move to Vista in the meantime would be if I needed a 64-bit OS to address more RAM. From what I know, WinXP-64 is not terribly well supported. Also, so far, DX10 offers nothing amazing enough to woo me over to Vista.

I've thought about moving to vista. But I already have a volume license key (obtained from my university) for XP Pro, and Vista didn't offer me enough of an incentive to pay for a license when I built my PC in January.

I'm happy with XP and will keep it on this PC. When I go to build my next in a year or two, I will think about upgrading to the new OS then.

if you need to buy a new copy of windows, buy vista, if your happy with XP, stay with XP, i love vista, and wont touch XP ever again!

I'm waiting until Windows 7 comes out before considering moving from XP. The only reason I would move to Vista in the meantime would be if I needed a 64-bit OS to address more RAM. From what I know, WinXP-64 is not terribly well supported. Also, so far, DX10 offers nothing amazing enough to woo me over to Vista.

there is a hell-allot more to vista then simply dx10 support.

Would have been happy to switch to Vista. I got a free copy through that survey program. But i couldn't get the damn thing to go 5 mins without crashing. So i really don't even have a choice.

if you are going to post that you tried vista then went back, please dont.

Seems MS is promoting Windows 7 a lot more vigorously and earlier than previous upcoming OS's.Despite their recent "Mohave" campaign,it's almost as if they're conceding Vista isn't the success they hoped for.The question is,will they rush 7 out too fast and end up with a lot of bugs,or will it end up being delayed while they try and get it perfect?

If vista haters don't hate vista, won't they hate 7 due to their similarities?

I find it hard to believe that you can not be a hypocrite and move from XP to 7 and maintain your reasons to not go to Vista, those people will just then adopt vista and bash 7 instead :rolleyes:

disclaimer: I run both XP and Vista x64 - it's an effing OS people, not a magical Jesus interface

I'm waiting for Windows 7 certainly, and have no problem sticking with XP until then or longer. I'm running 64-bit and i've had no issues with compatibility and it is rock solid.

I don't think what the guy says in the article is a real worry. He's just trying to hype it up that XP won't support hardware in 2010. Lets be real, most people will probably still be running most of the same hardware that they are running right now in 2009/2010.

Do I want the features of Vista or Win7? sure, but certainly what Vista offers doesn't justify the headache. As far as gaming goes, DX10 is nice sure, but what do I get with most games? 2 extra special effects? I'm pretty sure I can live without that, especially when I can then get maximum performance in DX9.

Will Win7 be stable when it comes out? Lets hope that MS learns from its Vista blunders and pretty much Win7 will just be Vista SP3, at which point i'll be ok going to. But I'm just not about to throw $200+ out the window for Vista right now.

I went to 64 bit which made Vista the logical choice for me. Vista runs fine. I have other older PCs around the house and they are still on XP and they run fine too.
The real "risk" of waiting for Win7 is your counting on Microsoft making something better than what they have already. But aside from the hype, will Win 7 be any better from the UI point of view?
The risk is by 2010 you will be stuck on an aging OS looking at a more or less forced upgrade from XP to a currently unknown UI.

I believe the UI will be basically the same as Vista, aside from a few changes deep into some menus.

lol im a few months away from using win7 beta and people are still using xp

All in all, I'd say the whole affair is a matter of need. For most using XP, Vista offers very little that compels them to upgrade from something that already works. Vista is a fine OS, but I have no need for the it. Hopefully, Windows 7 will have quite a bit to offer. Microsoft must remember that people must want to upgrade before they will do so in droves; shoving a new OS down customers throats and expecting them to like it doesn't usually work.

im waiting for windows 8. people on the internets are telling me that windows 7 is full of bloat and uses my precious ram too much.

Every single computer in my house, including my Mac, runs Vista now. There were a few bumps when I first upgraded, but they were minor compared to the bumps I went through with XP. I was an official beta tester (signed up for the program, got the newsletters, even a certificate!) for both XP Pro when it came out, and more recently Vista. Vista was patched and fixed and solidified a lot faster than XP was, at least in my experiencing. My home network on all four of my computers works flawlessly. The only time I've ever crashed Vista from the getgo has been when overclocking or tweaking hardware. Once I get a Vista system dialed in, it stays solid for a long time, a lot longer than any XP install. Vista has a far greater ability to maintain itself and improve performance over the long haul, where as XP had a greater propensity to stagnate and become sluggish over time.

Indexing works much better, superfetch provides very very tangible benefits, and I have a 24" monitor and a graphics card powerful enough to enjoy the benefits that DX10 has to offer. I'm not trying to sell any of you one it. You haters don't give a rat's nads what I say. You've already made up your minds, and some of you even have good reasons because of bad experiences. I know it wasn't all rosy for everyone.

But Vista has been great for me and all the computers in my house. I do prefer 64 bit, though. Seems snappier and more efficient.

Oh, Noes! Better upgrade to Vista before it too late!...?
Bah... there is no risk waiting for Win7.

Great now its late 2009? Wasn't it at first spring? :rolleyes: Can't wait for windows 7!! If you were wondering... both of my pcs are on vista and im liking it alot :) Microsoft OS for life :)

I find it hard to believe that you can not be a hypocrite and move from XP to 7 and maintain your reasons to not go to Vista, those people will just then adopt vista and bash 7 instead :rolleyes:

disclaimer: I run both XP and Vista x64 - it's an effing OS people, not a magical Jesus interface

This "logic" doesnt add up. We know nothing about Windows 7 to even try and compare 7 to Visa. I am still running on XP, have used Vista on others computers, dont really care for but still make atleast positive recommendations to people that maybe on the fence.

It was not to my liking and as others have said, there just isnt enough of a change from XP to Vista, with 7 possible right around the corner, to make it worth going out and buying Vista.

This is not to say, that if I received a free version of Vista, I wouldnt give it a fair shot. Nor to say that I wouldnt buy a system, based soley on it having vista. Its just to say, that there is a group of people here that wont go out and buy Vista.

All the folks that are skipping Vista will have a harder time hopping straight to Windows 7.

Vista is a good "primer".

I'm waiting for Windows 7 but wont get it until until it has stabilised.
It's not the major step Vista was. You won't have NEAR as many issues.
I say "you" but that should probably be "Driver Manufacturers won't have NEAR as many issues".

All the folks that are skipping Vista will have a harder time hopping straight to Windows 7.

I say "you" but that should probably be "Driver Manufacturers won't have NEAR as many issues".

What are you on about?

Until Microsoft releases a OS that I like and does what I want then I will stick with XP.

If that doesn't happen I switch to Linux.

If XP does everything you need it to then there's no real need to move to Vista. But moving to Vista isn't a bad thing either.

I've been on Vista since 3 weeks after it's release and chances are I'll probably move on to Windows 7 as well because I can.

Vista 7 is going to be better. The inefficiency of Vista is something I can't stand, they're working on fixing that and boot time with Windows 7. It'll be differenct and I don't plan on changing with my new or current build.

there is a hell-allot more to vista then simply dx10 support.

Yes, let's not forget the Secure Audio path DRM built in just to please the music industry as well as video DRM!!! I love it when Microsoft takes charge of my hardware and tells me what I can do with it!! ;)

not only will i wait for windows 7, but if i had to i'd wait till windows 9. I've tried vista 5 times. once in the first beta (old code) once in the beta after they restarted on a new code base, once when it came out, another time when i bought a laptop that came preloaded with it, and finally after sp1 came out. Every single time I went back to xp. No matter how fast a pc you have it's just stupid to waste so many resources on features I will never use and can't turn off. If things don't shape up by windows 8/9 I will probably completely switch over to linux and wine. maybe run xp in a VM if i really have to.

Can you elaborate?

I also would like to hear it as well.

Best I can tell, Vista has been a -lot- more forgiving under extremely heavy loading and multitasking than XP was. Obviously milage may vary from user to user, but I'm curious just the same.

Yes, let's not forget the Secure Audio path DRM built in just to please the music industry as well as video DRM!!! I love it when Microsoft takes charge of my hardware and tells me what I can do with it!! ;)
-Sigh-.... This gets old.

Which option would you prefer?

1) Microsoft supports media formats (such as Blueray) from studios.
2) Microsoft does not support media formats from studios.

?????????

It's really that freaking simple. Either they support DRM or they don't support the media at all.

it's just stupid to waste so many resources on features I will never use and can't turn off.
Can you elaborate as well?

What feature is sucking down your resources that you cannot turn off?
In Vista, one of two things is true:
1) The feature or service uses MINIMAL resources. If you aren't using it- it doesn't get used.
2) The feature or service is only running when you aren't. Vista gives the user all the priority. If the user needs resources- Vista stops those background processes like Defrag, Indexing, etc and gives that priority to the user.

?????????

It's really that freaking simple. Either they support DRM or they don't support the media at all.
Or option 3- I stay with XP and burn my CDs to MP3s with no issue. Is it any wonder that ASUS had to make a sound card with a built in loop to bypass the crap DRM in Windows? Don't believe me? Check here: http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/06/07/asus-xonar-seen-on-our-sonar

It contains technology designed specifically to bypass OS DRM to enable recording directly to your computer. I think I'll stick with XP thank you. As soon as M$ stops cooperating with interests against the consumer, maybe I'll upgrade to a new OS. Who knows, in time I may be running Linux instead (I said "maybe").

?????????

Can you elaborate as well?

What feature is sucking down your resources that you cannot turn off?
In Vista, one of two things is true:
1) The feature or service uses MINIMAL resources. If you aren't using it- it doesn't get used.
2) The feature or service is only running when you aren't. Vista gives the user all the priority. If the user needs resources- Vista stops those background processes like Defrag, Indexing, etc and gives that priority to the user.

The answer is not to support the media at all. MS has the power to force manufacturers to change things like that. As far as i'm concerned a video game console is closer to a stand alone media player and if you buy one that's what the user is expecting. When I buy a PC I expect to be able to do anything with the data on that machine that I want. I want to be able to hex edit explorer, replace dll files with 3rd party ones, replace the shell, redirect streams to anyplace I want, and it doesn't stop with the software. I want to be able to control voltages and timings. even if it means soldering resisters somewhere I can do it. When PCs loose these abilities they will die. thank god for linux.

That's right...their fingers won't be up to the task of clicking on all those pops. :D

Or option 3- I stay with XP and burn my CDs to MP3s with no issue.
Um... You do realize you can still do that on Vista right? Do you have any clue what DRM is?

And FWIW, The Inquirer isn't exactly regarded as a good source of any sort of information around here.

The answer is not to support the media at all. MS has the power to force manufacturers to change things like that.
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone knows how this works.
You do realize that folks imposing Blueray, for example, would be your Universal Studios, Warner Brothers, Paramount, etc?
What you mean by "manufacturers" I have no clue. You need to talk to the whole movie industry to get rid of the DRM stuff that THEY impose.
Once more: either Microsoft plays well with them or they don't support it at all.

I don't know if you've checked lately, but Microsoft doesn't have a ton of muscle in the movie industry.

Back