The right glue for broken plastic chair

venm11

2[H]4U
I'd gotten some good advice about adhesives and lubricants here before, so I thought I'd try again.

I have a fancy Aeron chair that was broken in storage. The plastic seat pan frame is just busted. But I think it might be glue-able. And considering the replacement seat is $150 or so, I'll probably try glue first.

How do I figure out what adhesive to use? Are there steps I should take to identify the type of plastic?

I'm not sure if the glue needs to flex with the plastic, the chair's plastic parts do flex very slightly. But I'm not aware of any strong adhesive that does.

Best I have found for plastic repair is JB Weld ClearWeld.

There are also "plastic welding" set ups you can buy from places like HarborFreight. I have never tried a plastic welding setup though so not sure how well it works.

I found a combination of liquid superglue plus baking soda sets like concrete.
Repaired a plastic hoover bracket recently.

You put glue on the pieces and quickly sprinkle/rub bicarb of soda over the top.
Or do the inverse hold the pieces with/in a vice/clamp, fill the crack with soda and apply the glue.
The chemical reaction creates intense heat.
The dried surface can be sanded if needed.
I'd recommend wearing gloves.

I'm posting from a mobile; but have a look on YouTube for videos.

Best I have found for plastic repair is JB Weld ClearWeld
I found a combination of liquid superglue plus baking soda sets like concrete.

Alright. I have some Loctite epoxy for plastic from an earlier project. Do you guys have any opinions on how these 3 ideas compare?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-0-85-fl-oz-Plastic-Epoxy-1360788/100371824

I figure I'll get one chance to do this right, and every attempt thereafter will be a weaker bond.

Back