The restaurant owner who asked for 1-star Yelp reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
“I came from Italy, and know exactly what mafia extortion looks like,” he says. “Yelp was manipulating reviews and hoping I would pay a protection fee. I didn’t come to America and work for 25 years to be extorted by some idiot in Silicon Valley.”

Haha!!

Awesome article, thanks OP!

Last edited:
Sounds like such a conflict of interest with Yelp, we let reviews for everything go all handled by the all mighty "algorithm".

But I guess it's not much different from "Diamond Certification", pay the money and you are now diamond certified!

Do you have any story you can forward me to ? To be honest I'm sure you're right but it served me sooo well against Sony that I'm skeptical. Are they strong arming small businesses (like yelp)?
Businesses have to pay to be part of BBB. Then if there is a complaint against a member company they step in to mediate... If a business isnt part of BBB then they point that out and direct the customer to use of their BBB rated companies.

oops! you forgot the rest of wikipedia!

"The study found that the Ninth Circuit's decisions were reversed at a rate of 2.50 cases per thousand, which was by far the highest rate in the country, with the Sixth Circuit second as 1.73 cases per thousand.[12][11] Fitzgerald also noted that the 9th Circuit was unanimously reversed more than three times as often as the least reversed circuits and over 20% more often than the next closest circuit.[11]"

remember this is what they do- they take a small piece of truth, twist it to their narrative, and then make fun of you if you dont agree with them.

Well, he is right though. https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/07-31-18 Fitzpatrick Testimony.pdf

It is the most overturned court in the country.

Sure, the rulings of the 9th are reversed at a higher rate than the other circuit courts. However, that is not "it does not respect the rule of law". They are still overturned at a very low rate. Save your hyperbole for the other drones. Thinking people can see facts as facts.

Sure, the rulings of the 9th are reversed at a higher rate than the other circuit courts. However, that is not "it does not respect the rule of law". They are still overturned at a very low rate. Save your hyperbole for the other drones. Thinking people can see facts as facts.

Yes, and the fact is the 9th is the most overturned as was stated. I was just pointing the fact out to you with out the hyperbole.

Yes, and the fact is the 9th is the most overturned as was stated. I was just pointing the fact out to you with out the hyperbole.

Oh come on just a little. That's like saying. "Our cereal is made with real oats." on a box of cereal doesn't imply none of the others are. We all know that's the message they want to sen their by giving their cereal a greater value.

The statement of "The 9th is the most overturned court" implies a greater disparity of overturns than simply saying. "The 9th is overturned 2.5 decisions to the thousand as compared to .7 to 1.7 times per thousand compared to other courts."

They are both factual statements. But ONE of those is designed to be more attention grabbing.

Oh come on just a little. That's like saying. "Our cereal is made with real oats." on a box of cereal doesn't imply none of the others are. We all know that's the message they want to sen their by giving their cereal a greater value.

The statement of "The 9th is the most overturned court" implies a greater disparity of overturns than simply saying. "The 9th is overturned 2.5 decisions to the thousand as compared to .7 to 1.7 times per thousand compared to other courts."

They are both factual statements. But ONE of those is designed to be more attention grabbing.

No, one of those is designed to be a concise summary of relative position. The other is the data set being described.

No, one of those is designed to be a concise summary of relative position. The other is the data set being described.

We are WAY off topic here. But... that's what happens sometimes.

Lets try it this way.

Kia cars exceed some safety standards.

^^^ This is a factual statement in my example. And something a vendor would put in their adds.

In my made up example the safety standards they exceed are in Mexico and Honduros and have to do with the audible level requirement of the car horn.

Sure it's still a factual statement and great for marketing. If they told the whole story the statement would loose it's impact.

Same with your statement. Sure it's not a lie or a falsehood. But if someone doesn't check it's far more impactful than a less than .001% difference.

We are WAY off topic here. But... that's what happens sometimes.

Lets try it this way.

Kia cars exceed some safety standards.

^^^ This is a factual statement in my example. And something a vendor would put in their adds.

In my made up example the safety standards they exceed are in Mexico and Honduros and have to do with the audible level requirement of the car horn.

Sure it's still a factual statement and great for marketing. If they told the whole story the statement would loose it's impact.

Same with your statement. Sure it's not a lie or a falsehood. But if someone doesn't check it's far more impactful than a less than .001% difference.

No. And quite frankly you are going through some real effort to distort this. Here is a TRUE example.

When I write a review and if I say Power Supply X is the best among W class in the conclusion that is true and is a concise summary of a relative positon.

When I write Power Supply Y has a vreg of 0.12v, Power Supply G has a vreg of 0.09v, Power Supply X has a vreg of 0.03v that is a data set being described.

There is no factual or significant difference between those statements. They are simply saying the same thing. One with numbers and one with text summary.

The only people this differs to are people who are trying to distort the point of the data. Which is why i quoted the source to show that the text is correct when the data is examined and those denying it or complaining that most overturned are simply incorrect. The 9th. Plain and simple.

Absolute bullshit. The hyperbole is claiming the 9th circuit doesn't follow the rule of law. I pointed out that 2.5 out of every 1,000 cases the 9th rules on gets overturned. Take your alternative facts elsewhere. The 9th very rarely gets overturned, same with the other circuits.

Absolute bullshit. The hyperbole is claiming the 9th circuit doesn't follow the rule of law. I pointed out that 2.5 out of every 1,000 cases the 9th rules on gets overturned. Take your alternative facts elsewhere. The 9th very rarely gets overturned, same with the other circuits.

The post quoted that you tried to toss out incorrectly was

the 9th is literally the most overturned court in the nation. it does not respect the rule of law.

and what I said was

Well, he is right though. https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/07-31-18 Fitzpatrick Testimony.pdf

It is the most overturned court in the country.

There are no "alternative facts". There are simply ones you wish to dismiss. The 9th Circuit Court is the most overturned among the circuits.

and what I said was

There are no "alternative facts". There are simply ones you wish to dismiss. The 9th Circuit Court is the most overturned among the circuits.

You are absolutely correct. They are the most overturned Circuit. Why their atrocious percentage is .03703704 %. GOOD LORD MAN. It's like they get over turned... well.. 3% of 1% of the time!! ATROCIOUS and obviously a stain on the bum of lady justice herself.

Yelp is extremely dishonest about the way reviews are shown, and also if you are on mobile they literally hide reviews until you download the app... which is BS,

and what I said was

Words have meaning. 2.5 out of every 1000 is not "it does not respect the rule of law". That is the hyperbole I correctly called out. If English is not your native language, I suggest you study it more. If English is your native language, then go back to your alternative facts safe zone where the drones will all agree with you.

Poor bastards.
I am on whats called the Robinson Crusoe list here, meaning no one can call or snail mail me stuff, so i never get calls from telemarketers or survey people, no one but the 10 people i have given my unlisted number to call me.
And as i hate the phone they don't call me often, i am on my phone on average 2 times every week, and overall i touch my phone for 5 minutes every day, cuz i don't have the smartphone decease.

Google my name, and you find nothing, not my phone number, not my address, not my photo, nothing what so ever.
But if you are a nice person i will make sure you have all the info you need.

I just don't understand how enough people "check Yelp" that could cause a restaurant stress is they actually had good food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back