The restaurant owner who asked for 1-star Yelp reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yelp rebuffed Cerretini’s extortion claims, instead attributing the removal of positive Botto Bistro reviews to the platform’s algorithm, which routinely filters reviews based on a number of criteria (which are not public). These “filtered” reviews are still visible to customers, but do not factor into a business’s overall star rating."

Ah, the almighty ALGORITHM! We must bow down to its infinite wisdom and selective mercy. The god is dead, long live the algorithm.

"Yelp rebuffed Cerretini’s extortion claims, instead attributing the removal of positive Botto Bistro reviews to the platform’s algorithm, which routinely filters reviews based on a number of criteria (which are not public). These “filtered” reviews are still visible to customers, but do not factor into a business’s overall star rating."

Ah, the almighty ALGORITHM! We must bow down to its infinite wisdom and selective mercy. The god is dead, long live the algorithm.

They write it like algo can't be cheated or skewed (Seems like the same thing to me but some would argue I guess...). I think it's OK to run algo on those reviews AS LONG as it's reviewed by neutral human and penalty is applied to faulty accounts.
Anyway, I mostly only read 1,2,3 and some 4 stars reviews and will only consider those with sentences that don't like they were copy pasted ... I try to also compare against multiple review places since I think it would be harder to cheat all the systems at once.

THE 9th U.S. CIRCUIT COURT of APPEALS had ruled that Yelp had the right to manipulate reviews, and its advertising tactics were a form of “hard bargaining” — not extortion

Well there's the problem right there, because it is a form of extortion. The 9th fucks up a lot though. I like reading about people cleverly manipulating the system.

Other than extortion couldn't that be considered defamation ? Proofs may be difficult to get though... and pricey process..

I use Yelp but I don't take any one review as gospel. It's handy when I get to a new town and don't have any clue to start from. From what the guy describes, I'd say that sounds about right - a data business that manipulate the data to exclude some things and include somethings based upon $$$ paid. About the only thing he can do is ignore Yelp entirely and not play their game like he's already doing.

Alot of the Yelpers are egotistical self-important wannabes who consider themselves "influencers" <- which are just about the worst customers around.

tbh as easy as i would think it could be to manipulate googles review system i honestly find it the best option.. just remember to always check both recent and relevant review filters for what ever you're looking at.. has saved me a few times.

giphy.gif

200_s.gif

giphy.gif

THE 9th U.S. CIRCUIT COURT of APPEALS had ruled that Yelp had the right to manipulate reviews, and its advertising tactics were a form of “hard bargaining” — not extortion

Well there's the problem right there, because it is a form of extortion. The 9th fucks up a lot though. I like reading about people cleverly manipulating the system.

Yelp operates how communist china operates... Which is why the fucked up 9th circuit protected yelp...

I have no idea what you're all on about. I use Yelp all the time and it's never lead me astray. I read the negative reviews and if it sounds like junk, I ignore it.

I use yelp to look at pictures of food. I could care less about the ratings, if the food looks good and it's a poorly rated place, I'd still go
I'm my own reviewer. I don't need a website to tell me if a place is good or not. I just need a website for real pictures of the food.

the 9th is literally the most overturned court in the nation. it does not respect the rule of law.

Isn't a big part of being a tourist roaming around and discovering things on your own? Then I guess it long be long before people start reviewing others online in the open like it's the new norm.

I have a question. What does this have to do with Tech news. I read and enjoyed the article but wouldn't this go in Genmay?

Black Mirror episode. Please rate me a 5 and I'll give you a 5.

Yep. It wasn't a very good episode but shit is definitely coming during our lives. Unless we die in the next 10 or so years

Yep. It wasn't a very good episode but shit is definitely coming during our lives. Unless we die in the next 10 or so years
Will everyone be wearing a visible "Like" count badge with LED numbers (similar to radiation exposure badges) or will there be a vr app and your rating will float over your head ala Google Glass.;)

Even if they fuck up a lot, having that go to court multiple times and so high and even then still being called "hard bargaining" is enough for me to not trust them. It's a damn review site and should have honest reviews and honest owner comments back. There shouldn't be any kind of hard bargaining involved.

Even if they fuck up a lot, having that go to court multiple times and so high and even then still being called "hard bargaining" is enough for me to not trust them. It's a damn review site and should have honest reviews and honest owner comments back. There shouldn't be any kind of hard bargaining involved.

Kind of why I trust google map reviews more. And why I'm a google... something on there for posting so many reviews.

2.5 cases reversed per 1,000 it heard and ruled on between 1994 and 2015. This shows the 9th "does not respect the rule of law"? You do you, let's not let facts get in the way.

oops! you forgot the rest of wikipedia!

"The study found that the Ninth Circuit's decisions were reversed at a rate of 2.50 cases per thousand, which was by far the highest rate in the country, with the Sixth Circuit second as 1.73 cases per thousand.[12][11] Fitzgerald also noted that the 9th Circuit was unanimously reversed more than three times as often as the least reversed circuits and over 20% more often than the next closest circuit.[11]"

remember this is what they do- they take a small piece of truth, twist it to their narrative, and then make fun of you if you dont agree with them.

Last edited:
May I ask why is BBB compared to Yelp here ? (Sorry, never read anything on it but used it once and their system works to get companies attention...)
BBB is another company that pretends to be something official, like the IRS, Fed etc etc yet is there purely to fuck you.

BBB is another company that pretends to be something official, like the IRS, Fed etc etc yet is there purely to fuck you.

Do you have any story you can forward me to ? To be honest I'm sure you're right but it served me sooo well against Sony that I'm skeptical. Are they strong arming small businesses (like yelp)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back