The restaurant owner who asked for 1-star Yelp reviews

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Auer, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

still need to get yourself a genmay sub, dont be scared...

Armenius and GoldenTiger like this.
  2. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

“I came from Italy, and know exactly what mafia extortion looks like,” he says. “Yelp was manipulating reviews and hoping I would pay a protection fee. I didn’t come to America and work for 25 years to be extorted by some idiot in Silicon Valley.”

Haha!!

Awesome article, thanks OP!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, back in the olden days 1999ish, we just used word of mouth. Works wonders. Carrier Pigeon too if you're feeling playful, though hard work to corral them from underneath the overpasses.

AceGoober, alxlwson, jfreund and 2 others like this.
  4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Sounds like such a conflict of interest with Yelp, we let reviews for everything go all handled by the all mighty "algorithm".

But I guess it's not much different from "Diamond Certification", pay the money and you are now diamond certified!

5. Nimisys

Nimisys Likes To Play With Trannies

Businesses have to pay to be part of BBB. Then if there is a complaint against a member company they step in to mediate... If a business isnt part of BBB then they point that out and direct the customer to use of their BBB rated companies.

6. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

That's fucking horrible. Don't mess with the Rossmann!.

andrewaggb, SPARTAN VI and $trapped like this.
  7. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Auer Thanks for posting.

8. owned66

owned66 n00b

Is there something better than Yelp u guys use ?

9. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

AceGoober, Armenius and pendragon1 like this.
  10. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

SPARTAN VI likes this.
  11. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

Sure, the rulings of the 9th are reversed at a higher rate than the other circuit courts. However, that is not "it does not respect the rule of law". They are still overturned at a very low rate. Save your hyperbole for the other drones. Thinking people can see facts as facts.

12. Paul_Johnson

Paul_Johnson [H] Admin Staff Member

Yes, and the fact is the 9th is the most overturned as was stated. I was just pointing the fact out to you with out the hyperbole.

AceGoober likes this.
  13. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

Oh come on just a little. That's like saying. "Our cereal is made with real oats." on a box of cereal doesn't imply none of the others are. We all know that's the message they want to sen their by giving their cereal a greater value.

The statement of "The 9th is the most overturned court" implies a greater disparity of overturns than simply saying. "The 9th is overturned 2.5 decisions to the thousand as compared to .7 to 1.7 times per thousand compared to other courts."

They are both factual statements. But ONE of those is designed to be more attention grabbing.

14. Paul_Johnson

No, one of those is designed to be a concise summary of relative position. The other is the data set being described.

15. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

We are WAY off topic here. But... that's what happens sometimes.

Lets try it this way.

Kia cars exceed some safety standards.

^^^ This is a factual statement in my example. And something a vendor would put in their adds.

In my made up example the safety standards they exceed are in Mexico and Honduros and have to do with the audible level requirement of the car horn.

Sure it's still a factual statement and great for marketing. If they told the whole story the statement would loose it's impact.

Same with your statement. Sure it's not a lie or a falsehood. But if someone doesn't check it's far more impactful than a less than .001% difference.

16. Paul_Johnson

No. And quite frankly you are going through some real effort to distort this. Here is a TRUE example.

When I write a review and if I say Power Supply X is the best among W class in the conclusion that is true and is a concise summary of a relative positon.

When I write Power Supply Y has a vreg of 0.12v, Power Supply G has a vreg of 0.09v, Power Supply X has a vreg of 0.03v that is a data set being described.

There is no factual or significant difference between those statements. They are simply saying the same thing. One with numbers and one with text summary.

The only people this differs to are people who are trying to distort the point of the data. Which is why i quoted the source to show that the text is correct when the data is examined and those denying it or complaining that most overturned are simply incorrect. The 9th. Plain and simple.

AceGoober and GoldenTiger like this.
  17. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

Absolute bullshit. The hyperbole is claiming the 9th circuit doesn't follow the rule of law. I pointed out that 2.5 out of every 1,000 cases the 9th rules on gets overturned. Take your alternative facts elsewhere. The 9th very rarely gets overturned, same with the other circuits.

18. Paul_Johnson

The post quoted that you tried to toss out incorrectly was

and what I said was

There are no "alternative facts". There are simply ones you wish to dismiss. The 9th Circuit Court is the most overturned among the circuits.

AceGoober likes this.
  19. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

You are absolutely correct. They are the most overturned Circuit. Why their atrocious percentage is .03703704 %. GOOD LORD MAN. It's like they get over turned... well.. 3% of 1% of the time!! ATROCIOUS and obviously a stain on the bum of lady justice herself.

doublejack likes this.
  20. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

Yelp is extremely dishonest about the way reviews are shown, and also if you are on mobile they literally hide reviews until you download the app... which is BS,

21. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

Words have meaning. 2.5 out of every 1000 is not "it does not respect the rule of law". That is the hyperbole I correctly called out. If English is not your native language, I suggest you study it more. If English is your native language, then go back to your alternative facts safe zone where the drones will all agree with you.

22. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

Poor bastards.
    I am on whats called the Robinson Crusoe list here, meaning no one can call or snail mail me stuff, so i never get calls from telemarketers or survey people, no one but the 10 people i have given my unlisted number to call me.
    And as i hate the phone they don't call me often, i am on my phone on average 2 times every week, and overall i touch my phone for 5 minutes every day, cuz i don't have the smartphone decease.

Google my name, and you find nothing, not my phone number, not my address, not my photo, nothing what so ever.
    But if you are a nice person i will make sure you have all the info you need.

23. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

I just don't understand how enough people "check Yelp" that could cause a restaurant stress is they actually had good food.

24. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

snooty hipsters, vegans and women named karen always check yelp.

bigdogchris likes this.
  25. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Who wants to do business with them anyways? The manager probably doesn't have enough time to deal with Karen.

pendragon1 likes this.
  26. Fix Me

Fix Me Gawd

Of course not, see below for this forum's consensus on Yelp.

Gee, I'm none of those things. Why do I check Yelp? It's not possible your preconceived notion is incorrect, is it? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.