The restaurant owner who asked for 1-star Yelp reviews

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Auer, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auer

Auer Gawd

2. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Nice review you got there. Be a shame if anything happened to it.

Yelp is a criminal enterprise.

3. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

1 Star Pizza for everyone the homeless devs of Sillycon Valley!

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  4. lightsout

lightsout Gawd

Good for him, cool story.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  5. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

"Yelp rebuffed Cerretini’s extortion claims, instead attributing the removal of positive Botto Bistro reviews to the platform’s algorithm, which routinely filters reviews based on a number of criteria (which are not public). These “filtered” reviews are still visible to customers, but do not factor into a business’s overall star rating."

Ah, the almighty ALGORITHM! We must bow down to its infinite wisdom and selective mercy. The god is dead, long live the algorithm.

6. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

They write it like algo can't be cheated or skewed (Seems like the same thing to me but some would argue I guess...). I think it's OK to run algo on those reviews AS LONG as it's reviewed by neutral human and penalty is applied to faulty accounts.
    Anyway, I mostly only read 1,2,3 and some 4 stars reviews and will only consider those with sentences that don't like they were copy pasted ... I try to also compare against multiple review places since I think it would be harder to cheat all the systems at once.

7. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

THE 9th U.S. CIRCUIT COURT of APPEALS had ruled that Yelp had the right to manipulate reviews, and its advertising tactics were a form of “hard bargaining” — not extortion

Well there's the problem right there, because it is a form of extortion. The 9th fucks up a lot though. I like reading about people cleverly manipulating the system.

8. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Good for this guy. A friend of mine is a small business owner and he can't stand Yelp's bullshit or yelpers themselves.

AceGoober, Armenius and Revdarian like this.
  9. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

10. snowysnowcones

snowysnowcones [H]ard|Gawd

Is there a decent alternative to Yelp? (Paid or free.)

11. Esso

Esso Limp Gawd

Google, TripAdvisor?

Wade88 likes this.
  12. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

Other than extortion couldn't that be considered defamation ? Proofs may be difficult to get though... and pricey process..

13. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

I use Yelp but I don't take any one review as gospel. It's handy when I get to a new town and don't have any clue to start from. From what the guy describes, I'd say that sounds about right - a data business that manipulate the data to exclude some things and include somethings based upon $$$ paid. About the only thing he can do is ignore Yelp entirely and not play their game like he's already doing.

Alot of the Yelpers are egotistical self-important wannabes who consider themselves "influencers" <- which are just about the worst customers around.

anthrex likes this.
  14. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

tbh as easy as i would think it could be to manipulate googles review system i honestly find it the best option.. just remember to always check both recent and relevant review filters for what ever you're looking at.. has saved me a few times.

Revdarian and Armenius like this.
  15. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

I don't go anywhere near Yelp, it's a bullshit platform. If I need reviews of local places I typically just use Google or go there myself and test it out.

16. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

17. aokman

aokman Gawd

Yelp needs to be set on fire and allowed to burn.....forever

18. Zion Halcyon

Zion Halcyon 2[H]4U

Yelp operates how communist china operates... Which is why the fucked up 9th circuit protected yelp...

19. Fix Me

Fix Me Gawd

I have no idea what you're all on about. I use Yelp all the time and it's never lead me astray. I read the negative reviews and if it sounds like junk, I ignore it.

sleepeeg3 likes this.
  20. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

I use yelp to look at pictures of food. I could care less about the ratings, if the food looks good and it's a poorly rated place, I'd still go
    I'm my own reviewer. I don't need a website to tell me if a place is good or not. I just need a website for real pictures of the food.

sleepeeg3, jfreund and Armenius like this.
  21. purple_monster

purple_monster Gawd

the 9th is literally the most overturned court in the nation. it does not respect the rule of law.

22. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Isn't a big part of being a tourist roaming around and discovering things on your own? Then I guess it long be long before people start reviewing others online in the open like it's the new norm.

Armenius likes this.
  23. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

I have a question. What does this have to do with Tech news. I read and enjoyed the article but wouldn't this go in Genmay?

24. Rockenrooster

Rockenrooster Limp Gawd

I guess because Yelp = some company that uses tech lol!

AceGoober, scojer and Jim Kim like this.
  25. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Black Mirror episode. Please rate me a 5 and I'll give you a 5.

AceGoober, T4rd, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  26. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

I've never bothered looking at yelp.......and will be sure not to from now on.

Armenius and Jim Kim like this.
  27. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Yep. It wasn't a very good episode but shit is definitely coming during our lives. Unless we die in the next 10 or so years

Jim Kim likes this.
  28. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Will everyone be wearing a visible "Like" count badge with LED numbers (similar to radiation exposure badges) or will there be a vr app and your rating will float over your head ala Google Glass.;)

Armenius, sirmonkey1985 and dgz like this.
  29. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

2.5 cases reversed per 1,000 it heard and ruled on between 1994 and 2015. This shows the 9th "does not respect the rule of law"? You do you, let's not let facts get in the way.

Uvaman2 and Jim Kim like this.
  30. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

Even if they fuck up a lot, having that go to court multiple times and so high and even then still being called "hard bargaining" is enough for me to not trust them. It's a damn review site and should have honest reviews and honest owner comments back. There shouldn't be any kind of hard bargaining involved.

Crackinjahcs and Zion Halcyon like this.
  31. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

Kind of why I trust google map reviews more. And why I'm a google... something on there for posting so many reviews.

Armenius likes this.
  32. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

No worse than the BBB imho

Armenius, N4CR and sirmonkey1985 like this.
  33. Auer

Auer Gawd

Because I dont have access.

34. purple_monster

purple_monster Gawd

oops! you forgot the rest of wikipedia!

"The study found that the Ninth Circuit's decisions were reversed at a rate of 2.50 cases per thousand, which was by far the highest rate in the country, with the Sixth Circuit second as 1.73 cases per thousand.[12][11] Fitzgerald also noted that the 9th Circuit was unanimously reversed more than three times as often as the least reversed circuits and over 20% more often than the next closest circuit.[11]"

remember this is what they do- they take a small piece of truth, twist it to their narrative, and then make fun of you if you dont agree with them.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  35. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

May I ask why is BBB compared to Yelp here ? (Sorry, never read anything on it but used it once and their system works to get companies attention...)

36. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

time to pony up the $5...

AceGoober likes this.
  37. Paul_Johnson

Paul_Johnson [H] Admin Staff Member

38. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

BBB is another company that pretends to be something official, like the IRS, Fed etc etc yet is there purely to fuck you.

Armenius likes this.
  39. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

Do you have any story you can forward me to ? To be honest I'm sure you're right but it served me sooo well against Sony that I'm skeptical. Are they strong arming small businesses (like yelp)?

40. Auer

Auer Gawd

I did the Patreon thing for 6 months. I try to rotate between things I find interesting as far as donations go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.