The Resident Evil 2 "1-Shot Demo" Is Now Available

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Capcom has released a timed 30 minute demo for the game Resident Evil 2. Players can die all they want during the demo, but after 30 minutes it is over. Players can get an idea of the game play in the horror title and test the performance of their systems. Capcom warns players of bugs that may occur if they try the "Max" graphics preset. I'm just waiting for the game's release on January 25, 2019.

If you use the "Max" graphics preset or set options to a value that your PC spec does not support, you may encounter bugs. If this happens, please select the "Recommended" graphics preset. If cutscenes stutter or if your display flickers, set HDR Mode to Off. In other news, we are happy to announce that both the demo and full game supports 21:9 aspect ratio ultra wide monitors.

Downloading now.

Read a small blurb earlier that it was pretty good demo and ran great on the X1X.

Fantastic to see a free game demo in this day and age. They used to happen all the time... hopefully this is a return to form.

It actually means the company needs to be pretty confident in its own product. Downloading and will likely buy.

Haven’t played yet, but jumped into setting and it recognizes I have 0.0GB of VRAM..... I don’t know if I should blame Capcom, AMD (Vega 64) or the fact that it’s just a demo.

Bumping textures up to the highest setting plus max everything else puts “Graphics Memory” usage upto 13GB at 2560x1440.

I bet that number for Graphics Memory is incorrect. The game does not look that good to use that much memory.

Haven’t played yet, but jumped into setting and it recognizes I have 0.0GB of VRAM..... I don’t know if I should blame Capcom, AMD (Vega 64) or the fact that it’s just a demo.

Bumping textures up to the highest setting plus max everything else puts “Graphics Memory” usage upto 13GB at 2560x1440.

Definitely off on the VRAM usage. No way in hell that’s accurate.

I bet that number for Graphics Memory is incorrect. The game does not look that good to use that much memory.
Definitely off on the VRAM usage. No way in hell that’s accurate.
Almost certainly off though I dropped the textures down to the "High (2GB)" setting which dropped reported usage to around 4.5GB/7GB if using max on Shadow mapping. Their texture settings were very oddly labeled. High ranged from 0.25GB to 8GB I didn't check for a difference.

Unfortunately afterburner was not functional in the game to check for actual VRAM usage and AMD wattman....well....
SkEhIJm.jpg

(and it actually went higher from there o_O)

Anyways, managed to complete the demo with time leftover. Switched to DX12 without changing any other settings. The game went from buttery smooth and beautiful 90-100 fps to a very jittery 70-80 fps. Noticeable stutter despite Freesync. DX12 was also far uglier. It was darker and the lighting was just plain worse, and then I ran out of time.

Seems like they've got a home run of a remaster on their hands. It really keeps the atmosphere of the original PS1 game, ran well and the (DX11) graphics to me were very good, excellent use of shadows and lighting. DX12 is a turd.

Edit: forgot to mention, HDR worked swimmingly as well.

Last edited:
Tried DX12 on my 1080 and went from about 100 fps to 70. Barf

Fucking awesome so far though.

I crashed in dx12, betting i don't get a fresh 30 minute restart :) Don't try dx12 mode!
Didn't bother with any 3rd party fps tracker because I thought the monitors built in would be able to pick it up. Sure didn't.
I am officially hyped. Game is beautiful.

i liked what i saw of the game, but the 30min time limit fucking sucked. i felt so rushed through the whole thing, and i skipped so many areas to make sure i finished it before time ran out.

Just played the demo! Freaken awesome!!! Plenty of scares, just like old times! Cant wait for the full game:)

Thoroughly impressed! Its everything I dreamed it would be. Also, damn zombies are tough! Shot one in the head 4 times, crept up on it "Is it dead--undead?". NOPE, kill it!! lol.

Ran pretty good on my RX 580 at 1440p on high settings.

Last edited:
Found out halfway through, that I could use my keyboard and mouse :ROFLMAO:

How was it moving your character around using the keyboard and mouse?

Aiming is always better with mouse but I found using the keyboard to move your character sucks in most action or third person games.

Aiming is always better with mouse but I found using the keyboard to move your character sucks in most action or third person games.
I went the first time through on controller and aiming was kinda balls. (Worse than normal controller aiming) second run I did keyboard but never really got to aim. Movement felt just as smooth as controller.

Its great they remade it. I was very impressed with 1 and 2. This is a must play for me. Game looks and feels fantastic. Keyboard and mouse here all the way. Its a bummer it was only 30 min wanted my wife to play this, but I guess I can download it again on my sons pc .

Oh, it was great, very fluid, no problems at all with camera angles or lining up a shot. It felt very natural.

Just played the demo! Freaken awesome!!! Plenty of scares, just like old times! Cant wait for the full game:)

Thoroughly impressed! Its everything I dreamed it would be. Also, damn zombies are tough! Shot one in the head 4 times, crept up on it "Is it dead--undead?". NOPE, kill it!! lol.

Yeah...I don't remember much of the original, admittedly, but it seemed like no matter how many times I shot them in the head, they wouldn't stay dead. The only sure way was if their head exploded. Sometimes I could headshot guys 20+ times and they still didn't stay dead. :\

Last edited:
I just went ahead and bought the game. It was on sale for 26% off on Greenman. The fact that they released a demo at all means it’s probably a pretty solid game.

A fun game and beautiful visuals. Seems very similar to RE7 in those regards. I sought out the means to reset the clock and played twice today, not to mention wanting to take the time walk around and look at things. Once on my 1080TI/1440p/G-Sync rig and then again on the 2080TI/4k/HDR rig and both with maxed settings sans motion blur/distortion. The in game Vram indicator is a bit odd. WIth those settings 1440p registered over 12GB but honestly I never saw it go over 7GB. It averaged betwen 70-110 fps with those settings. On the 4k rig it showed over 13GB but never went beyond 8.5GB. It seemed like the game was limiting somehow I believe it affected performance. My FPS were mostly 55-60 with V-Sync on but I saw a couple of dips to 48-49. As some have stated, this is another title where the DX12 isn't quite right. DX11 seemed to have better performance. Perhaps driver optimizations will improve further. For those who have their rigs plugged into a newer receiver it does also support Dolby Atmos and Binaural Sound(honestly don't know what that means) . A 7.1 Atmos setup was something I upgraded to with the 4k rig so it was nice to hear. Even without this demo I was planning on buying this so really enjoyed this little moment before release day.

Side note: I read over at DSOG that John said if you lower the settings to absolute minimum you can play it looking like PS1 level visuals for that truly retro look. Just goes to show how truly dynamic the REngine really is. I do agree though that the AA settings are a bit off. The TX+FAA setting causes some unusual jagged lines and the SMAA causes blurring. Hopefully that will be fixed too. I will say that ever since RE7 the level designs have really favored HDR. It's difficult to find a brightness/darkness setting for non-HDR that doesn't wash out in the darkest areas. In HDR it's not a problem.

Back