The rebirth of Origami Master

Kendrak

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2009
A few years ago I had a system that was named Origami Master. It had 3x 9800gx2 cards, pulled 750 watts from the wall, and at the time it was a beast.

Well it is time to bring the system back, but with the power of SMP!

Meet Origami Master II

g34.jpg

It will be running 4x 6174s and 16gb of RAM.
I plan on updating this thread as I go through Install and my attempts to OC.

I however have to get the basement put back together. We had 2 to 3 inches of water in most of the basement. Lost some stuff, but most was stuff that didn't matter (folding rigs are all fine, just shut down and moved)

I remember the original threads about the original Origami Master. That thing was a beast. This one should be equally impressive.

Looking through the cables that came with my AX Corsair Gold, can it be that it can with 2 ESP power con?

corsaircon.jpg

con2.jpg

Last edited:
What a great looking setup! I wonder what you are going to use to cool that :) Would be interesting if you had giant heavy copper blocks.

What a great looking setup! I wonder what you are going to use to cool that :) Would be interesting if you had giant heavy copper blocks.

I'm currently welding pennies together... bbl

Nice, can't wait to see this unfold.

I also like how the VRM's are arranged on the SM boards, ideal for putting heatinks on them if you are overclocking.

Nice, can't wait to see this unfold.

I also like how the VRM's are arranged on the SM boards, ideal for putting heatinks on them if you are overclocking.

I want to see this thing fold!

Also I just checked the VRM placement as well. Very nice arrangement!

man, all the cool kids are getting to play with all the fun toys! How many 4P systems is [H] up to now?

So I suppose this is the SR2 replacement :-D

More ppd, less power draw, upgradable to BD - the big downside is you are going to shell out close to $2000 minimum for one, quite a bit more for one like this one. They seem to be popular around here now, which is good for the team.

More ppd, less power draw, upgradable to BD - the big downside is you are going to shell out close to $2000 minimum for one, quite a bit more for one like this one. They seem to be popular around here now, which is good for the team.

I was thinking specifically for Kendrak, as he just sold his SR2 over in the DC FS/FT

yo, sorry to hear about the basement. I went through that a couple years ago. Not fun.

Looking through the cables that came with my AX Corsair Gold, can it be that it can with 2 ESP power con?

My 2008 vintage Corsair HX1000 has one EPS connector hard wired and another one is modular. Looking forward to seeing the numbers off this thing. That board looks hungry, feed it quickly!

I'm in the middle of building a raised platform to put my "desk" and other computer stuff on.

I don't think I will get flooded like that again, but I want to have my stuff up a bit higher.

Meet Origami Master II

g34.jpg

Same one I got for my build! The catchily named: MBD-H8QGI+-F-O

Yours come without an i/o plate? Thats because they are designed to only go in their 1U chassis which already has the holes for the board. But you can get the i/o on the bay of e's for a couple of bucks.

Nice board, only the two 8 pins required as opposed to the 3 for the ones with more pcie slots.

Good luck with the build.

Same one I got for my build! The catchily named: MBD-H8QGI+-F-O

Yours come without an i/o plate? Thats because they are designed to only go in their 1U chassis which already has the holes for the board. But you can get the i/o on the bay of e's for a couple of bucks.

Nice board, only the two 8 pins required as opposed to the 3 for the ones with more pcie slots.

Good luck with the build.

No need for an i/o plate, I fold nekid :cool:

Here is what I've gotten done tonight. My hope is to finish putting the plywood on and run to wally-world and get a rug to put on it.

platform1.jpg

Lot of work ahead of me. I have to finish the platform, rebuild my "desk," reassemble all my computer stuff, and build the 4P system.

No need for an i/o plate, I fold nekid :cool:

Here is what I've gotten done tonight. My hope is to finish putting the plywood on and run to wally-world and get a rug to put on it.

platform1.jpg

Lot of work ahead of me. I have to finish the platform, rebuild my "desk," reassemble all my computer stuff, and build the 4P system.

That looks suspiciously like this

5931284162_34c23bb2d2_z.jpg

from lifehacker

my question is, where do you find a pallet in that good of condition?

Here is where I'm at.

Hardware is all set up, I'm about to start with
the software side of things.

4p-1.jpg

4p-2.jpg

Looks good!

What is that Netgear NAS? BTW... that pic just made me think we need a PXE boot Ubuntu F@H setup.

Looks good!

What is that Netgear NAS? BTW... that pic just made me think we need a PXE boot Ubuntu F@H setup.

Ready NAS Duo.

I came with a 500gb drive and I migrated it over to 2x 1.5tb drive. When they fill up I figure 3tb will be down in price.

I LOVE IPMI!

I have nothing connected to this board but a power cord and a CAT5 cable.

I just linked a ISO of ubuntu off my NAS, and virtualy installed it as DVD drive. Click reset on the IPMI, and the system see the "DVD" and boot from it. Ohhh this is great! No hunched over a system, burning off an ISO and hooking up a USB DVD drive. Just sit my butt down in my chair. :cool:

ipmi-install1.jpg

Last edited:
Along the cooling front.....

Temps seem to be holding below 70C (68C-ish)

From a kill-o-watt wattage is jumpy, but i'd say and average of 525 watts
om-1.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see more G34 builds!

re: temps at 68C.

Try flipping fans over -- vent straight up (pull).

Separately, try tilting fans at say a 15 degree angle.

Curious if that makes a difference with temps.

You need to connect the fans to the block?

:p

From what we can tell last night the chips are hitting a thermal threshold and downclocking.

I will try flipping the fans. I also have better ones on the way.

Might consider smaller fans if you haven't already.

Looking good K

yea with them just sitting on there you've got the dead spot from the motor hub right over the die. Probably not the most efficient way of cooling them. you could try gutting some old fans and using the frames as a spacer (or ghetto-rig up something else). The nice thing about having a 4p rig is that you can try something on one or two CPUs and see if its actually making a difference in real-time :D

Might consider smaller fans if you haven't already.

Looking good K

Or some sort of 120mm - 80mm reducer. You end up with an awfully big dead spot right in the middle due to the size of the fans. Alternatively, you could scoot them over one way or the other so the one side of the fan is more or less even with the side of the heatsink. That would move the dead spot more off the heatsink. You would probably have to attach them somehow if you went that route.

I like the 120 to 80mm idea. Also I have some scythe 100+ cfpm fans that will be here tomorrow.
Go big or go home :p

Back