The Real Dynamics Behind Holiday Gifting

Interesting.I hate buying gift cards for people, I only do it when I have no clue what to get someone and even then I don't like it.

Interesting, I hate people who buy me something I generally don't want instead of a giftcard. Actually most of the time I prefer nothing at all if I had to choose between random gift and nothing. Just wish me a happy holidays and call it a day, I am good with that. I have a house full of $10-$20 useless "gifts", I don't bloody need more.

That said, I don't get the animosity for fruitcake. Granted bad fruitcake is pretty terrible, but good fruitcake is freaking awesome.

I like wrapping gifts. I think it might be cause I'm a little OCD. I love making the folds nice and even, getting the corners pointy and the feeling of the tape pulling the paper tight. Gift cards don't have that fun

I do ask for itunes gift cards though if people just want to spend $10-$20. Its easy for them and I get to choose what ever "it must be weird cause you cant find it on the shelf at Best Buy" music I'm into.

I give money instead of gifts

people appreciate that because then they can go buy whatever they want, saves me a lot of hassle and lets them go apeshit on getting themselves something.

I give money instead of gifts

people appreciate that because then they can go buy whatever they want, saves me a lot of hassle and lets them go apeshit on getting themselves something.

I'll 2nd this. I've switched from gift cards to cash for the my nieces and nephews. Now that they are older, they are usually saving up to something (DSi, mp3 player, etc), so why force them to buy from a specific place with a gift card?

Only gift cards I still give are for places that I can get a significant discount up front, like buying See's candy gift certificates at Costco.

The Fruitcake Contradiction was funny. Around here, the family in the area has more like a 2 or 3 in 4 chance of giving fruitcake as one of the (early) gifts. I hate fruitcake.

That article actually encourages you not to give. I think the simple solution is that we need to go back to cash in the Christmas card and cut this gift card bullshit.

Interesting, I hate people who buy me something I generally don't want instead of a giftcard. Actually most of the time I prefer nothing at all if I had to choose between random gift and nothing. Just wish me a happy holidays and call it a day, I am good with that. I have a house full of $10-$20 useless "gifts", I don't bloody need more.

That said, I don't get the animosity for fruitcake. Granted bad fruitcake is pretty terrible, but good fruitcake is freaking awesome.

You hate people who buy you things? Man, some people need to be choked.

Stores know that gift cards tend to not get used up, hell they bank on it. Its really a win-win for them.

Yeah I really hate gift cards. People think that it is somehow more thoughtful than money, but if you get one for me, you are just showing that you don't know me. Its basically going to a shop and exchanging no strings attached real money for their T&Cs-apply fake money. At a 1:1 ratio. I only ever think its a good thing if you can somehow get a deal on them. I sometimes keep a look out for friends who really want rid of theirs around xmas, because buying them for 50-70% of their store value is the only good thing about them.

You hate people who buy you things? Man, some people need to be choked.

You miss read that, he said he hates people who buy him things he doesn't want / need. and i agree to some point, i have gotten horrible games, movies, or cds that i have never opened as somebody didn't know what to get me so just picked up some random thing they see at a store from the $10 bin of games or $5 bin of movies. I would rather get nothing from them than get a pile of stuff that just sits there unopened or that i toss away. that is them wasting money buying me something that would never be used, and taking up space in my house. they could have just thrown the money into the garbage can and it would have been the same thing.

You miss read that, he said he hates people who buy him things he doesn't want / need. and i agree to some point, i have gotten horrible games, movies, or cds that i have never opened as somebody didn't know what to get me so just picked up some random thing they see at a store from the $10 bin of games or $5 bin of movies. I would rather get nothing from them than get a pile of stuff that just sits there unopened or that i toss away. that is them wasting money buying me something that would never be used, and taking up space in my house. they could have just thrown the money into the garbage can and it would have been the same thing.

I haven't gotten many things I don't like over the years. Thankfully my family is good at talking with each other and figuring out what to get people. I don't buy gifts for people outside of my mother, siblings, and one aunt so I know what they like usually. This is the first year in a while I've bought anyone a gift card because that way she can get what she needs for her place and even then I still found a little gift for her.

Didn't misread it at all. If someone buys you something you don't want, you hate them? That's pretty fucked up.

Cash in on others unwanted GC's.

I even saw this commercial for CardWoo, they do cash for GC's.....

And not only that, you have to buy something for them in return, which is why I don't like gift giving dynamics. In the end, it all comes down to money. It's much better to gift things that cannot be bought with money like time, attention, affection, etc., because there is no real monetary equivalent.

Normally, I find out EXACTLY what that person wants, even if I have to ask....

As far as cash goes...people always say giving cash is generic / lacks imagination / lazy, whatever. I wrap my gift of money with money, the people that get it seem to like it.

I tell people "warm socks" for gifts now. Got sick of clothes that don't fit and gifts i'll never use.

Back