The race to 4 billion

I am running three SMP (on Linux so no -bigadv for me) and two classic (although one puked a week or so ago and I have been trying to fix it) and I turn about 50K ppd on SMP wu's and feel pretty good about it. I know the hardware could turn many more points on Windows (well one of them anyway) under -bigadv but that doesn't matter. I crank those 60xx and 67xx all day and all night on the big stuff and my little single cores crank the ole classic stuff.

By the way if someone was planning to crank the classic wu on their monster box just make sure you fix up as many clients as you want to use cores so you don't waste a bunch of CPU time.

Science is king and we are doing the science as fast as possible.

I wonder what a ~3.8ghz i7 would do PPD wise with 8 uniprocessor clients

I am running three SMP (on Linux so no -bigadv for me) and two classic (although one puked a week or so ago and I have been trying to fix it) and I turn about 50K ppd on SMP wu's and feel pretty good about it. I know the hardware could turn many more points on Windows (well one of them anyway) under -bigadv but that doesn't matter...
Have you tried running Windows in VMware in a Linux host? Even if you cannot get all the cores under a single VM, you might still get far bigger production, and with multiple VMs that will compound production. I remember you have one or two servers with a sick amount of true cores.

We are totally not a Windows shop so we are lacking in a Windows version license that can take more than four cores. Server 2003 Standard isn't real practical for this with its max of four cores! I don't want to do anything questionable on work machines so you know how it goes.

Probably some time this week my biggest machine will get converted to VMWare and have more testing ran on it. Once that is done I will then be running two Linux OS's on it with 8 each to see how that works. I did this a while ago but I don't know when well enough to see how the results compared to direct and all the cores. I do recall it didn't seem to hurt much but I wasn't quite as in tune with its exact performance yet. If only Microsoft would go Open Source so I could just run it on anything I want!!! (yeah right)

Yeah we have a couple of windows machines but only internal and slowly we are moving those normal services over to Linux. Such is life at a Linux heavy company, however, it is good to be a Linux guy when it comes time to pay the rent and feed the kids.

At the end of this race to 4Billion maybe all of the teams should plan for a day / few days / week of common folding under a neutral team name. The point being to establish a daily and weekly folding goal (with the bigadv client returns too) that could never be bested.

[H]ecklerKoc[H];1036227900 said:
At the end of this race to 4Billion maybe all of the teams should plan for a day / few days / week of common folding under a neutral team name. The point being to establish a daily and weekly folding goal (with the bigadv client returns too) that could never be bested.
I would be up for that. $5 says it won't work though :)

We are totally not a Windows shop so we are lacking in a Windows version license that can take more than four cores. Server 2003 Standard isn't real practical for this with its max of four cores! I don't want to do anything questionable on work machines so you know how it goes.

Probably some time this week my biggest machine will get converted to VMWare and have more testing ran on it. Once that is done I will then be running two Linux OS's on it with 8 each to see how that works. I did this a while ago but I don't know when well enough to see how the results compared to direct and all the cores. I do recall it didn't seem to hurt much but I wasn't quite as in tune with its exact performance yet. If only Microsoft would go Open Source so I could just run it on anything I want!!! (yeah right)

Yeah we have a couple of windows machines but only internal and slowly we are moving those normal services over to Linux. Such is life at a Linux heavy company, however, it is good to be a Linux guy when it comes time to pay the rent and feed the kids.

Server 2003 Standard has not limit on Cores. Just a limit of physical CPUs.
2003 standard can run Dual E5530s i know for a fact.

Yea, Hell, even XP can handle atleast 8 cores/threads
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I would be up for that as well, only issue is, alot of people set their rigs up as "set it and forget it"

I'm sure there are a lot of folders, on both teams, with a decent chunk of the daily ppd output, that don't even realize whats going on right now with the race to 4billion. Thats ignoring the fact if people would be up for it or not even.

In any case, I'd be up for it.

Soo... I'm down to only my gaming rig now. I burnt out both my dual-Opteron 250s :rolleyes: Who woulda thunk? lol

I would be up for that, too. I want to find some common ground for our teams to meet so there isn't so much rancor. This should be both fun, and productive. As I keep saying, our teams are not enemies. We both have common goals, just different real estate we post in.

I would be up for that, too. I want to find some common ground for our teams to meet so there isn't so much rancor. This should be both fun, and productive. As I keep saying, our teams are not enemies. We both have common goals, just different real estate we post in.
spread the word on your forums to see if there would be interest. it seems the general consensus here (so far, at least) is that our team would be up for it.

The goal would be to achieve a new record for PPD and PPW.

Edit: it would be open to any team, not just H and EVGA.

spread the word on your forums to see if there would be interest. it seems the general consensus here (so far, at least) is that our team would be up for it.

The goal would be to achieve a new record for PPD and PPW.

Edit: it would be open to any team, not just H and EVGA.

Just throwing an idea out there. Instead of a points goal, since we all agree there is too much emphasis on points. How about a WU goal? Specifically a Basic CPU WU goal. We can set it up as a CC type challenge and everyone fold under one name but still in their team to, say, 1000 basic CPU WUs. Just an idea. That would really level the playing field.

Just setup Kendrak's old i7 along with two 9800GTs I had laying around. Finally, time to make some decent PPD.

Last edited:

What??? That is Communism!!! I knew there was a reason for the red!!!

Like communism, it sounds good but does not really work.

I mean, some will just say, oh well, I might as well just use this time to shut down my machine to save on electricity, before you know it, those might just never return.

Also then the big red team will never be beaten so no one will have the motivation to push hard for the common good.

Sorry, I like the competition too much, and really this is healthy competion.

As far as a record that could not be broken? Easy,,, it is the sum of all individual or team scores. That is the power of the competition.

Competing makes us all greater than the sum of the individual teams!

/Opinion

EDIT: should we create a poll? I am all for democracy ;)

Ahoy, as Kin' o' the Horde I command you t' fold for only the Horde o'er there'll be swabbin' the deck with ye' face Gar.

9.25 million points were folded yesterday by Team 33!!

You are all so awesome!

Hell ya [H]orde!!!!

9.2 million points yesterday!!! thats a new record :D

O did i mention we were within 1 million points of EVGA for the day.:eek:

I love this team :)

Last 24 was 700k below evga's

let em roll boys and gals!!!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'll be dropping at least 130K today! :cool:

My Thuban dropped another bigadv today 60+K... unfortunately now is folding a 6075.

Rebuilt both my Dual-Opteron 250s, both online. Running F@H as performance testing. They keep crashing for some reason. One's on XP and the other's Server 2003.

Server 2003 Standard has not limit on Cores. Just a limit of physical CPUs.
2003 standard can run Dual E5530s i know for a fact.

I tried it under ESXi by selecting 8 in the drop down box in vcenter when I set the machine up and it was giving me errors about max CPU's exceeded so it must be how it see's the vmware CPU's. It was whining at me. In the next week or so the Dl580 G5 will probably be going back to VMWare ESXi so I will be able to try it again and see if I just did something dumb.

It only displayed four in task manager even though 8 were allocated.

ESXi is not giving it 8 cores, its giving it 4 CPUs.

cores =! CPUs

Rebuilt both my Dual-Opteron 250s, both online. Running F@H as performance testing. They keep crashing for some reason. One's on XP and the other's Server 2003.
Don't know what motherboards you are running but you might want to check the HT Link speed and reduce it, same for any settings that affect memory speed. Also, if you have ECC on try turning it off. This is just a suggestion, haven't been in my BIOS for ages... :eek:

Well, Didn't have much in the way of points yesterday, but I'm drooping 160k points between 2 WU today. And they are both 2684's. Lets hope for something better next time round!

Don't know what motherboards you are running but you might want to check the HT Link speed and reduce it, same for any settings that affect memory speed. Also, if you have ECC on try turning it off. This is just a suggestion, haven't been in my BIOS for ages... :eek:
The HT Link stuff is all set to Auto and I'll have a look at ECC.

weve almost got a 2 day lead on them, oustanding! but we gotta push harder

Now that I got things straight on my 980X my PPD will go back up again. I basically lost production the last 5 days on that box.

Good News / Bad News.

I have my new 6-Core i7 , did the build last night, but I don't have the new case for the Existing i7. Working on getting the 6-Core i7 up tonight (it doesnt want to detect my USB Keyboard!!!) get a fast OC up and get it folding ASAP.

My case should arive tonight (but I wont be home) so hopefully by Saturday I'll have my Old i7 back up and folding again too with the new 6-core i7.
[No, I wont fold it naked I have 2 dogs that I cannot trust with such expensive hardware in the open]

Should I put up pics in a different thread when I build them out? I know you guys like hardware pron alot!

Good News / Bad News.

Should I put up pics in a different thread when I build them out? I know you guys like hardware pron alot!

For sure put up pics of your hardware! Either in this existing thread, or make your own.

Good News / Bad News.

I have my new 6-Core i7 , did the build last night, but I don't have the new case for the Existing i7. Working on getting the 6-Core i7 up tonight (it doesnt want to detect my USB Keyboard!!!) get a fast OC up and get it folding ASAP.

My case should arive tonight (but I wont be home) so hopefully by Saturday I'll have my Old i7 back up and folding again too with the new 6-core i7.
[No, I wont fold it naked I have 2 dogs that I cannot trust with such expensive hardware in the open]

Congrats man! I'm also glad to hear that you will not be engaging in the practice of naked folding. :)

Just dropping a well deserved congrats your way... Your making our lives [H]ard over @ EVGA.... :p;) and for Keeping up the good work with your eyes on the big picture!!!:cool:

i see what you did there ;)

other topic, i need to meet up with you on BC2.......

Back