The Quarry

polonyc2

Fully [H]
The Quarry is an upcoming survival horror interactive drama video game developed by Supermassive Games and published by 2K Games played from a third-person perspective...it is the spiritual successor to Until Dawn (2015)

in the game, the player assumes control of nine different teenagers who must survive a night at the Hackett's Quarry...the player must make different decisions, which can change the character development, the plot, and the relationships between different characters...all nine playable characters may die by the end of the game, and each character potentially has 10-12 different ways to die

releasing June 10th on Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X and Series S...

Love this developer. Seems like this title is its own thing and not a part of Dark Pictures Anthology or Until Dawn?

Cross platform = win. Always hated that Until Dawn was console exclusive.

Love this developer. Seems like this title is its own thing and not a part of Dark Pictures Anthology or Until Dawn?

Cross platform = win. Always hated that Until Dawn was console exclusive.
I don't know if it's all in a connected universe, but it's its own contained story. I didn't realize this was coming out on PC. If nothing else they have made determining the fate of all the characters a lot of fun even if the gameplay is sparse.

Wow that looks great, I hope it lives up to what all it claims to offer. I can remember too many "your choice will affect the outcome" type games where it was a huge letdown. Forgot to donate a bullet in Metro? You're the devil! Play all Mass Effect games for a coin flip ending, etcetera. I just hope there are multiple layers to the choices, but all in that looked great!

Does the couch mode work across LAN too? I can't imagine getting up to 7 people over to try that out lol, but on LAN sure. I saw the other mode supported it.

Wow that looks great, I hope it lives up to what all it claims to offer. I can remember too many "your choice will affect the outcome" type games where it was a huge letdown. Forgot to donate a bullet in Metro? You're the devil! Play all Mass Effect games for a coin flip ending, etcetera. I just hope there are multiple layers to the choices, but all in that looked great!

Does the couch mode work across LAN too? I can't imagine getting up to 7 people over to try that out lol, but on LAN sure. I saw the other mode supported it.
No LAN support, as far as I know. You would have to create an online sessions and invite the people on the other PC(s)/console(s) to your session.

The Quarry review: A Gripping but uneven interactive slasher movie

Over the last seven years Supermassive has sharpened its branching ghost train formula to a point so fine that one of its characters could trip and impale themselves on it. But the only real advancement from past titles here is the top-class production values. The plot, performances and visual fidelity are worth turning up for, as are some of the shocks, but more than ever much of your involvement seems like protective padding sandwiched between the scripted thrills...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-quarry-review/

a more positive review from Game Informer....

Their banter is quite good, and their relationships develop to the point that you can think for the characters and help them grow. Supermassive’s art team also deserves props for bringing their likenesses to life with a frightening degree of realism, capturing little emotions that can hold a character’s true intent for a split second. The darkly lit and nicely designed environments also help to up the tension and give the game a truly cinematic feel. Supermassive even included a movie mode that allows you to put the controller down to sit back and watch randomized decisions play out.

For the core game, I wish more of the action was in the hands of the player, but I can’t deny how enthralling the choices are, especially when they lead to absolute chaos...

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/the-quarry/screaming-until-dawn

1654705330908.png

I watched the ACG review, and just bought the game for 12% off, I think it looks like something I would replay a few times, probably worth it.

First half of the game was meh, second half was good. Finished on Sunday.

Dear Lord what is up with the crazy eyes? That is way worse than Mass effect Andromeda and is so off-putting.

And hopefully they fix the performance as there can be some pretty big drops for no reason. The game feels extremely smooth at 30fps though if you have a lower spec machine and need to cap it.

This game was just ok for me. It had a really annoying tendency of taking control away from the player. You'd walk a few steps, trigger a cutscene, walk a few more steps, trigger another cutscene, etc... It made me laugh on a few occasions. Like did I really need 3 seconds of "gameplay" only for a cutscene to trigger?

I guess I shouldn't have expected so much from an interactive movie. There is very little game here. Even the QTEs are extremely basic up/down/left/right sort of thing. There's no satisfaction in it.

I did like some of the characters but it ended kind of abruptly. There's not much of an aftermath and there's no resolution in the relationship of these characters.

It was okay. It's very much a "choose your own adventure" movie more than a game. The sections where you're controlling your character might as well not even be there. I appreciate the acting and production values, but there's not much to it beyond flipping a coin and hoping you made the decision that lets someone live.

Back