The PS Vita of Steam Machines arrives in 2016 for $299

zamardii12

2[H]4U
A hand-held steam machine that can apparently play Half Life 2, Bioshock Infinite, Civ 5...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/11/steam-machine-steamboy-smach-zero/

steamboylede.jpg

Who needs this?

Honestly, if I was traveling a lot more than I do I'd be excited as shit over this. Being able to play all the Source games, and others directly from Steam is pretty damn cool. But yeah, unless you travel a lot I don't see the point.

I'm excited about the idea of having a portable PC gaming device, but I'm not convinced about it's performance yet.

Remember, the software sells the platform not the hardware. PC games aren't meant to be played on a tiny screen with those controls and it will likely show in most titles. Imagine things like the GUI being designed for a PC and not a 5-6" screen. I can't imagine playing something like BF on it. It will come down to how many good titles are developed (or at least ported) to it.

About screen size I think the 3DS has it right. The 2nd screen gives you much more space for things like maps and nventory areas without becoming too large.

I can stream PS4 over the internet to my PSVita, so this is very possible, not just a local connection.
In fact, I streamed PT over the net, from San Diego to Dallas, when I was there a few months ago and it was perfectly playable.
Now, Blazblue was another story... Still looked great, just laggy.

The one thing that is wonderful about remote connection with the PS4, is that it is on standby and can turn on/off itself remotely. Steam doesn't have such functionality, I wonder if its even possible for it to access wake on lan and then what about wan connections? Perhaps it would also be limited by what OS you are on (OSX, Linux, Win). One would have to leave their PC on to be able to stream....

I can stream PS4 over the internet to my PSVita, so this is very possible, not just a local connection.
In fact, I streamed PT over the net, from San Diego to Dallas, when I was there a few months ago and it was perfectly playable.
Now, Blazblue was another story... Still looked great, just laggy.

The one thing that is wonderful about remote connection with the PS4, is that it is on standby and can turn on/off itself remotely. Steam doesn't have such functionality, I wonder if its even possible for it to access wake on lan and then what about wan connections? Perhaps it would also be limited by what OS you are on (OSX, Linux, Win). One would have to leave their PC on to be able to stream....

You could probably remote control the power from over the internet. I had an app that controlled my PC for awhile via LAN. It would turn it off and on. Just had to force it to XBMC. I can only imagine SteamOS is probably working on native configs.

I can also say the the PS4 to PS Vita stream is absolutely manageable outside of a LAN as long as the router and internet connection are strong enough. Fast twitch games are still a bit of a struggle but that will only improve. Very curious to see this in action.

Back