The prelude to Blu-Ray drive failure is burning at a lower speed?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I have 2 cheap Ritek 8X DVD+R DL, both failure on my blu-ray burner, Pioneer, made in Japan

I used this drive not frequently, burn 1 x 50Gb blu-ray every 2 weeks. And use it as a reader on some occasion. And the drive is a few yr. old

So on the 3rd ritek disc, I put in my HP DVD burner, and it works.

About 1 week later, I burn a 4.7GB Ricoh Taiwan disc, and it's rated at 16X. The blu-ray burner said it only burn at 4X. I was burning a bunch of PDF file, nothing fancy.

So w/ the above 2 incidents, it seems strange for a drive w/ japanese quality, and not remotely heavily use.

Yesterday, I burn a 50GB blu-ray 2X, no problem, verify fine.

So at this pt., I don't know what to think, is my blu-ray burner dying?

Well, the first two Dual Layer disks shouldn't be a surprise. If they aren't Verbatim DVD+R DL's, I wouldn't expect anything but coasters.

Drives can be kinda goofy. There are usually good drives and bad ones, and that can even differ from model to model too. Any particular drive, good or bad, will often have media it burns best with. With that in mind, you may want to try doing some research on your specific model of bluray burner. Find others with it, and what media they are using. Sometimes you luck out and get by with cheap media, sometimes its only the most expensive that work best.

I've had great luck using the forums on this site: http://club.myce.com/

that may be it. The Blu Ray drive works well w/ the Sony 50GB made in Japan media, and tanks on the cheap Ricoh disk, although made in Taiwan, DVD Identifier also said Ricoh Japan on it. But in reality, it's just a B grade disk, in pars w/ CMC magnetics.

thanks for your input

Back