The Portal 2 Thread **Warning May Contain Spoilers**

Honestly, I think this is the last time I preorder a Valve product. I think it had great production value and was well polished but I still felt burnt on it. First, it was REALLY short. Beat both MP and SP with screwing around, in 10 hours. I felt like my hand was being held the ENTIRE time.

It was extremely crappy in MP because the first couple levels in each section were so easy a 5 year old could do it. I know they were trying to reintroduce the different elements but it was just irritating. I already beat SP and I am not mentally handicapped so I dont really need to know how to use a portal again. I feel like they should have just left it alone and made all the levels in MP real levels and not teaching ones. If someone does not understand it, tough, go play SP. I actually found some of the MP levels to take a bit more thinking than SP which was nice but I really wanted this hardcore, mensa, you are never going to figure it out difficulty in at least 1 level.

SP was polished, had a nice story but was lacking in any depth. There was 0 difficulty in the puzzles. The only time I had to really sit and look around was later on when I was trying to figure out how to get from point A to point B. Essentially looking for a wall to put a portal on. The puzzles on the other hand were just a cake walk.

Dont misunderstand me, I enjoyed it but it was more of a $20-30 enjoyment if that. I am really curious if we will see custom MP maps. I honestly have not even looked into yet but I was wondering how that would work out, especially if Valve is probably planning on paid DLC at some point. At least I would be pumping out cheap DLC for this as I think MP is genius. My hope is that we will but I have a bad feeling it wont be possible because you have to use the hub and Valve will not release an SDK for the MP side so they can capitalize on DLC. I hope not but you never know.

Then again Valve, as usual, will not release the SDK For 6+months because thats how they operate.

Not sure when the SDK will come out, but they already announced the first addon would be free and come out this summer (delays of course being likely with Valve)..

Honestly, I think this is the last time I preorder a Valve product. I think it had great production value and was well polished but I still felt burnt on it. First, it was REALLY short. Beat both MP and SP with screwing around, in 10 hours. I felt like my hand was being held the ENTIRE time.

It was extremely crappy in MP because the first couple levels in each section were so easy a 5 year old could do it. I know they were trying to reintroduce the different elements but it was just irritating. I already beat SP and I am not mentally handicapped so I dont really need to know how to use a portal again. I feel like they should have just left it alone and made all the levels in MP real levels and not teaching ones. If someone does not understand it, tough, go play SP. I actually found some of the MP levels to take a bit more thinking than SP which was nice but I really wanted this hardcore, mensa, you are never going to figure it out difficulty in at least 1 level.

SP was polished, had a nice story but was lacking in any depth. There was 0 difficulty in the puzzles. The only time I had to really sit and look around was later on when I was trying to figure out how to get from point A to point B. Essentially looking for a wall to put a portal on. The puzzles on the other hand were just a cake walk.

Dont misunderstand me, I enjoyed it but it was more of a $20-30 enjoyment if that. I am really curious if we will see custom MP maps. I honestly have not even looked into yet but I was wondering how that would work out, especially if Valve is probably planning on paid DLC at some point. At least I would be pumping out cheap DLC for this as I think MP is genius. My hope is that we will but I have a bad feeling it wont be possible because you have to use the hub and Valve will not release an SDK for the MP side so they can capitalize on DLC. I hope not but you never know.

Then again Valve, as usual, will not release the SDK For 6+months because thats how they operate.

You hit the nail on the head 100%. Even my wife, who is really a non gamer, had many complaints, specially about the hand holding. She would just sit there and complain about how the wall textures where specifically setup to say "HEY, the portal goes here..." She just wanted to have to think about the answer to the puzzle and not just look around and see it, which is what they did. I still say Valve used this game as their push into consoles and the PC was just the after thought in terms of the gameplay. They already knew every PC player in the world would buy it so the catered to controller tards.

I installed the game on Sunday and I've been enjoying it over the past few days. Then last night after I exited the game I noticed it had started an auto-update, which based on the progress rate I assumed wouldn't take long. But when I came back to my PC a few hours later Steam said that it had downloaded 1% (about 200MB) of a 9GB update. Anybody else getting this? I don't see why Portal 2 needs a 9GB update since the game itself is only about 11GB. At this rate it's going to be hours before I can play again (my ISP sucks). :(

I installed the game on Sunday and I've been enjoying it over the past few days. Then last night after I exited the game I noticed it had started an auto-update, which based on the progress rate I assumed wouldn't take long. But when I came back to my PC a few hours later Steam said that it had downloaded 1% (about 200MB) of a 9GB update. Anybody else getting this? I don't see why Portal 2 needs a 9GB update since the game itself is only about 11GB. At this rate it's going to be hours before I can play again (my ISP sucks). :(

hmmm sounds like an error, there was no update.

Yeah, it looks like maybe Steam somehow corrupted my game files and is trying to re-download the whole damn thing. I guess I'll just uninstall and reinstall the game, and turn off auto-updates.

You hit the nail on the head 100%. Even my wife, who is really a non gamer, had many complaints, specially about the hand holding. She would just sit there and complain about how the wall textures where specifically setup to say "HEY, the portal goes here..." She just wanted to have to think about the answer to the puzzle and not just look around and see it, which is what they did. I still say Valve used this game as their push into consoles and the PC was just the after thought in terms of the gameplay. They already knew every PC player in the world would buy it so the catered to controller tards.

You know, I felt something was "off" when I was playing the game, and I realize that this was it. I didn't really spend my time thinking about how to solve a puzzle so much as looking around trying to find the spots I'm supposed to shoot portals at. Then all you do is figure out the right order of operation. Still enjoyable though.

For UK buyers, the game is only £12.99 on Amazon, just grabbed a copy

For UK buyers, the game is only £12.99 on Amazon, just grabbed a copy
DOH!

edit: I just fired this up on two 24's in portrait mode (aside from the funny aspect ratio) and it looked soo much better, I think I need a 3rd and go back and play it.:eek:

Last edited:
Back