The Portal 2 Pre-release Thread - Now Decrypting!

Portal Two

• I have or plan to pre-purchase.

Votes: 175 51.0%
  • I'm planning to get it on release day.

Votes: 34 9.9%
  • I'm waiting for reviews from game sites/friends before deciding.

Votes: 41 12.0%
  • Not buying it until it hits a steep discount.

Votes: 81 23.6%
  • Not interested at all.

Votes: 12 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
a funny I just saw

EvBe6.jpg

Thanks for the great news Serpico. I loved the first game and was really hoping the sequel could live up to its expectation.

I believe that it will exceed expectations. I really wish I could talk about it more, it is so excellent.

Loved the last one hopefully they will make this one free on steam like the first one so I can pick it up

Loved the last one hopefully they will make this one free on steam like the first one so I can pick it up

I doubt they will give Portal 2 out free just because its actually a full blown game this time.

Anyway, I totally forgot I had a $20 giftcard from Amazon so I decided to pre-order. Can't wait :D

Easy GOTY for me, and I haven't even cracked the co-op yet.

Thanks for confirming what I was hoping to be true when Valve stated it's their best game yet! I'm glad I've got it on pre-order...can't wait. And now that I read co-op is local on the PS3 I'm even more excited. I was worried my roommate wouldn't be able to play with me. I wish they'd allow split screen on the PC version :(

Easy GOTY for me, and I haven't even cracked the co-op yet.

Is co-op a complete set of different puzzles? Is there any story to it?

Just curious as I haven't been following along. Best part about not following along is a random Sunday comes up and you realize Portal 2 is coming out in 2 days!

They're different.

You didn't actually try to play it online did you? I can't imagine that would go over well. :cool:

Also, a big thanks for not posting any spoilers, and a big screw you you evil bastard, for getting it before me. :D

Lets say no other games finish, currently 29 hours left, so a 4 in the morning release on Tuesday morning?
At best Audiosurf will finish and take 30 minutes to an hour off, so 3-4am release? I thought the L4D2 unlocking at midnight was lame as hell (1am actually)

Unless AS chops off like 8-10 hours, as much as I'd like to stay up and play Portal 2 at 4 in the morning

Unless AS chops off like 8-10 hours, as much as I'd like to stay up and play Portal 2 at 4 in the morning

Those of us on the East Coast appreciate it. :)

You didn't actually try to play it online did you? I can't imagine that would go over well. :cool:

Not released on Steam yet. :p

But no, I remember reading an interview with Valve saying that the coop and single player are two unique adventures, reinforced by the fact that the maps folder contains both coop and single player maps:

http://pastebin.com/k3QXN8cD

Out of all of this what I find most amazing is the fact that PS3 users (or console users in general) get the game before PC users...
Of course I'm just basing this off the recently locked thread on Steams forums, I do not keep up with console game release dates because I don't own a console and do not care so this information which I got from a Consoletard could be wrong

Out of all of this what I find most amazing is the fact that PS3 users (or console users in general) get the game before PC users...
Of course I'm just basing this off the recently locked thread on Steams forums, I do not keep up with console game release dates because I don't own a console and do not care so this information which I got from a Consoletard could be wrong

The official date is still the 21st AFAIK, but some stores are breaking street dates in violation of their agreement with the distributor.

Maybe in the future, Valve will require online activation on the consoles and lock users out til release date that way. Force users to have a net connection on their consoles. Why not? I'm already forced to have a net connection on my PC for most games.

what's a ps3tard? someone able to afford a ps3 along with a gaming rig?

Also, a big thanks for not posting any spoilers, and a big screw you you evil bastard, for getting it before me. :D

Worked fine online. It shows up as "Portal 2 on Playstation 3" on the friends list, people can see what you're doing, matchmaking through the friend list works, etc etc. I actually have a few Valve employees in my friends list, one of whom I also know on Shacknews. On Saturday we talked about the game over PM, I went into specifics as to what I thought, and he said that he would pass on my kind words to the team.

So I think at least that one guy is the opposite of annoyed that I got it early. ;)

Not released on Steam yet. :p

Steam is on PS3 now, so technically it isn't released on Steam for Mac & PC. :(

I was able to arrange co-op games through Steam friend list on PS3, no problem. The downside is that I only know two other people with the game at the moment.

Maybe in the future, Valve will require online activation on the consoles and lock users out til release date that way. Force users to have a net connection on their consoles. Why not? I'm already forced to have a net connection on my PC for most games.

The thing is that consoles require games to be playable no matter what. An insane number of consoles, something like over half of them, never touch in the internet. I've played many "connected" games well before release date (in the case of Modern Warfare 2, 10 days before street) and the online functionality was fine.

My favorite was Rock Band 2. The MOTD was some snarky "yeah yeah, CONGRATS for getting the game early :rolleyes:" type thing, haha.

Last edited:
What time is this game actually supposed to be released without all this potato nonsense? Releasing it at 4AM on Tuesday instead of Noon doesn't do shit for me.

What time is this game actually supposed to be released without all this potato nonsense? Releasing it at 4AM on Tuesday instead of Noon doesn't do shit for me.

Noonish. Thats why I said Valve is the only winner. At best it would only be at midnight to match retailers.

Noonish. Thats why I said Valve is the only winner. At best it would only be at midnight to match retailers.

If that's what all this was for, just to coincide with the physical disc release, that's a real kick to the nuts.

If that's what all this was for, just to coincide with the physical disc release, that's a real kick to the nuts.

Well its matched up so far with the games that have 100% completion. It also makes sense that valve would have a difficult time releasing a game on steam before retail. Not with concern for the PC platform but PS3. I have a feeling they have put a decent amount of capital in building a relationship with Sony and the retailers that push PS3 games.

Dependent on the Wiki being up (it's been getting hammered all day), the info on the individual potatoes is found here.

Holy crap! I had no idea there really were some kind of potato items to achieve in these games. How on earth were people supposed to know this besides going to some very obscure wiki page?? I may have time to get a couple potatos tonight, but it doesn't really look like it will help any, so why bother...

Is it just me, or does the counter not move forward any faster after a game's CPU time is "finished"?

I checked the release time yesterday and today, before and after the two games collected enough CPUs, and the timer seems to be the same as it would be if there was no progress at all.

Yeah, despite the fact that several games have completed already, the timer hasn't really moved back any significant amount. The game is still releasing sometime early tomorrow morning, and there's no way most of the remaining games will be completed before that time, so it really isn't going to make a difference.

Man, I was really hoping to be able to play Portal2 last Friday, but oh well...

So in summary, the only winner in the potato sack deal is valve.

This. + the indie-devs who got a little extra cash-flow from this - guess that's a good thing at least.

I'm just glad my Amazon order status finally changed, I was starting to get worried. :(
Now says "shipping soon". It better go out today and get here tomorrow otherwise I'll be buying it somewhere locally and returning the unopened copy whenever it gets here. :D

4:30. I bet a bunch of people will be feeling like dumbasses tomorrow. probably not steams best move.

Something is happening, Potatos are dropping at an alarming rate

10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells
11:00 - Reboot safety test protocol initiated...
11:00 - Relaxation chamber locks released...
11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...
11:00 - Pre-release lethality assessment initiated...

Well actually "alarming rate" is a little much, at this rate the game will release at a prime time time EST (assuming once the count hits 0)

Edit, someone figured, 700 potato's per minute=11 hours till it hits 0 = a midnight release

Potato's are dropping even faster so "alarming rate" still stands

Last edited:
Going even faster now.

Edit: actually, it seems to be the same speed.

Yeah, it looked faster but people still come out with 11 or so hours, strange how the countdown isn't changing though

11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...

Well actually "alarming rate" is a little much, at this rate the game will release at a prime time time EST (assuming once the count hits 0)

Edit, someone figured, 700 potato's per minute=11 hours till it hits 0 = a midnight release

Drink the koolaid much? They cannot release before midnight. So at best you are looking at a midnight release. Not very "alarming".

ok i just did a little math.

435,000 potatos
1,000 potatos take 85 seconds (to count down 1,000 potatos)

85 x 435 = 36975 seconds / 60 = 616 / 60 = 10.3 hours

that puts it right at midnight est (+or - 20 minutes)

Actual rate is in the source of of 11.6771584699 potatoes/second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back