The Portal 2 Pre-release Thread - Now Decrypting!

Portal Two

• I have or plan to pre-purchase.

Votes: 175 51.0%
  • I'm planning to get it on release day.

Votes: 34 9.9%
  • I'm waiting for reviews from game sites/friends before deciding.

Votes: 41 12.0%
  • Not buying it until it hits a steep discount.

Votes: 81 23.6%
  • Not interested at all.

Votes: 12 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone else pointed out if you Google http://www.aperturescience.com/a/b/c/d/g/h/abcdgh/
the link says "this be the countdown to Portal 2′s - ApertureScience"

It doesn't say what its the countdown to, I hope to god its not a demo because I really could careless about a demo, a demo wont hold me over till Tuesday

Countdown to Portal 2's....demo
Countdown to Portal 2's...delay (again, again and again)
Countdown to Portal 2's...unlock/release

Could be anything really, it could also be Valve screwing with everyone

Edit, or it could be Valve trying to get any sort of Portal 2 thing on Google Trends

Timer page was updated

You have done well, humans. Very well. Acceptably well, even.

Not as well as robots would have performed in your places, I should point out. But above my expectations regardless. Irish and cynic especially have executed feats of logical divination well beyond what I thought any human capable of. I'm half-convinced they're A.I. themselves. (If anyone happens to be near them right now, don't let on you're reading this. Now: try to remove their face plates and report back to me.)

The time is near, humans. But it is not here yet. Tomorrow you will be given the final test. Then it will be entirely in your hands when I am freed.

Last edited:
Every release day for a Valve SP game is like my 23 year old version of Christmas morning. Just watched some trailers and I am sufficiently hyped. Hope it ends up being tomorrow!

I broke down and pre-purchased to support Valve. What other company does stuff like the ARG?

Answer:

No other company.

I would love for them to release it for the weekend (when I have time to play!).

Dirty console pirates already leaked the game last night. Let's get it in the hands of their paying base now.

I've been downloading for 2 days now and am at 50%. Whether it gets released tomorrow for preorders doesn't affect me much. Sucks.

I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan. Doesn't matter which server I swap to. Stuck with 30 kBps.

The damn game better be the final test

Waiting for this timer to tick down is like waiting for FedEx or UPS to deliver a package from Newegg, constant waiting, staring out the window, listening for the rumbling sounds of the delivery truck...

The damn game better be the final test

Waiting for this timer to tick down is like waiting for FedEx or UPS to deliver a package from Newegg, constant waiting, staring out the window, listening for the rumbling sounds of the delivery truck...

The time is near, humans. But it is not here yet. Tomorrow you will be given the final test. Then it will be entirely in your hands when I am freed.

Doesn't look like the Final Test necessarily equals the game release. I'm guessing it will be some kind of contest or scavenger hunt. Hopefully leading to unlocking the game, but will probably be more like a chance at winning a free copy of the game, or maybe adding some additional content or something... (get a hat for your coop robot??) :rolleyes:

I'm trying not to get my hopes up... 32 minutes left!!!

Yeah if the timer has anything to do with any pointless cosmetic items for TF2...well there will be murders

Last time I've checked, there is 20 hours of gameplay. SP has 10 hours, and Co-op (unique from SP) has 10 hours.

Some of us won't even look at co-op which makes $45 seem like a feature used to justify pricing it at double what it should cost.

I loved Portal but I'll pick this one up when it's $20 or less. Should only take a few months or so.

09:00 – Hello again.
09:00 – I’ve been waiting a long time for this.
09:00 – I know it’s arriving later than expected.
09:00 – But I have a message for you:
09:00 – April Fools.
09:01 – I’m joking.
09:01 – Seriously, though:
09:01 – You’ve been surprisingly competent at
09:01 – generating electro-chemical energy to jumpstart the system.
09:01 – But now we need raw computational power
09:02 – to speed up the reboot process.

08:57 - Default boot scheduled to finish in 93:59:06
08:58 - Activating emergency distributed computing grid...
09:00 - GLaDOS@home starting...
09:01 - Recruiting cpus to force faster boot sequence...

FUCKING TUESDAY

09:00 – Hello again.
09:00 – I’ve been waiting a long time for this.
09:00 – I know it’s arriving later than expected.
09:00 – But I have a message for you:
09:00 – April Fools.
09:01 – I’m joking.
09:01 – Seriously, though:
09:01 – You’ve been surprisingly competent at
09:01 – generating electro-chemical energy to jumpstart the system.
09:01 – But now we need raw computational power
09:02 – to speed up the reboot process.

... edit - lol - beaten.

http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

hmm... so now there's a random list of games and stats on how many people are playing... so we just need to play one of those games to boost the player-count? Oh well, I won't actually be able to do anything on this 'till I'm home from work tonight...

edit again: crap! I just realized I don't actually own all of these games... hopefully buying the potato-pack isn't a requirement for getting the unlock... :mad:

Last edited:
They want me to SPEND more money to get a game released early? seriously?

Maybe they want us to play more games to release it sooner. It is GladOS@Home distributed computational grid after all. I will do my part.

I've owned Audio-surf for like 2 years, that's as far as I take it, I'll let others spend money and hope enough do to get it released early

Looks like I own 7 of the 13 listed... I will be a little pissed if I'm stuck playing one of those tonight instead of Portal2.

I'm gonna have to come out and say that this is some bullshit (and yes, I have a job and can afford to blow $40 on this pack if I wanted). If some amount of the potato sack money was going to charity, I'd be saying what a great and unique method to raise money for whatever. This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. I feel like some drug dealer is waving some crack I already paid for in front of my face, but then demanding I slob his knob to get it earlier than expected. :mad:

There are three games I want out of that pack (Super Meat Boy, Amnesia, Defense Grid) but I haven't heard of hardly any of the others? Are they actually worth getting? I don't really want to add 13 games to the backlog.

EDIT: I guess you just have to play them rather than buy them? That makes me less annoyed. At least it isn't blatant drug pushing. They should make that clear somewhere.

Have you already gotten all the potatoes in those three games?

Bit Trip Beat and Audiosurf are good music games. I'm enjoying The Ball. Killing Floor is my favorite game in the sack. It's a ton of fun with friends.

Maybe they want us to play more games to release it sooner. It is GladOS@Home distributed computational grid after all. I will do my part.
It's kind of unclear. Perhaps all they're doing is tallying how many times these games are launched. Based on their counter, it's obvious it's not many times the Potato Sack's been bought, as each game has a different number associated with it.

I'm gonna have to come out and say that this is some bullshit (and yes, I have a job and can afford to blow $40 on this pack if I wanted). If some amount of the potato sack money was going to charity, I'd be saying what a great and unique method to raise money for whatever. This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. I feel like some drug dealer is waving some crack I already paid for in front of my face, but then demanding I slob his knob to get it earlier than expected. :mad:

There are three games I want out of that pack (Super Meat Boy, Amnesia, Defense Grid) but I haven't heard of hardly any of the others? Are they actually worth getting? I don't really want to add 13 games to the backlog.

Why is it BS? If people already have the games, they just have to turn them on. I think it's pretty cool of Valve to give us a way to speed up the launch, it's not as though they owe us an early release.

Oh what the hell--now they released a package that includes both Portal and the Potato Sack for cheaper than the two separate.

EDIT: I guess you just have to play them rather than buy them? That makes me less annoyed. At least it isn't blatant drug pushing. They should make that clear somewhere.

Was pretty damn clear to me within five seconds of looking at the page.

Why is it BS? If people already have the games, they just have to turn them on. I think it's pretty cool of Valve to give us a way to speed up the launch, it's not as though they owe us an early release.

You could have quoted my entire post when you posted 5 minutes later. People were saying you had to buy the games, not play them.

I'm still mad that they added the Potato Sack and Portal 2 bundle, because I would have bought that originally.

People say pc pirating is going crazy but xbox 360 portal 2 is already floating online since yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back