The Portal 2 Pre-release Thread - Now Decrypting!

Portal Two

• I have or plan to pre-purchase.

Votes: 175 51.0%
  • I'm planning to get it on release day.

Votes: 34 9.9%
  • I'm waiting for reviews from game sites/friends before deciding.

Votes: 41 12.0%
  • Not buying it until it hits a steep discount.

Votes: 81 23.6%
  • Not interested at all.

Votes: 12 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting for a very steep discount. The price of admission is not worth it IMO. But this price was expected anyway. They pulled the same stunt with the first Portal, by not allowing it to be bought outside of Steam (which was expensive) or in the Orange Box (which was ludicrous for anyone that already owned HL2 and Episode 1 and didn't want TF2) and then only releasing a retail version much later on, with a steep price as well. Had to wait a few months to pick it up.

Does anyone know or can confirm that f you by the ps3 version of portal 2 you get a copy of it on steam and can download it to your pc?

They stated you would be able to have a copy for your pc if you bought the PS3 version on the newest episode of Qore, they also talked about cross platform support.

Is the PS3/PC copy a limited time deal or a forever-ish deal? I've been turned off buying anything for full price $60 these days due to a combo of inflation and getting hosed, although I doubt I would get a bad hosing from Portal 2.

I'm shooting from the hip here but there is no mention of a "limited edition" or "special edition" only having a product key in it so it would make sense that it would not be some sort of while supplies last promotion. Valve seems pretty keen on getting steamworks on the PS3, I think this only the begining of a great relationship.

Waiting for a very steep discount. The price of admission is not worth it IMO. But this price was expected anyway. They pulled the same stunt with the first Portal, by not allowing it to be bought outside of Steam (which was expensive) or in the Orange Box (which was ludicrous for anyone that already owned HL2 and Episode 1 and didn't want TF2) and then only releasing a retail version much later on, with a steep price as well. Had to wait a few months to pick it up.

I've spent more money on lunch then what they sold portal for originally... and my lunch didn't last 8 hours. It was only $20 when launched by itself.

Comments like this just make me laugh I guess :)

I've spent more money on lunch then what they sold portal for originally... and my lunch didn't last 8 hours. It was only $20 when launched by itself.

Comments like this just make me laugh I guess :)

Not as much as I laugh with posts such as yours, that compare lunch to a game.

Even more if it's a lunch that costs 20 euros (which was the retail price for Portal, it was over 20 euros in Steam by itself). A 20 euros lunch is lobster or some fancy stuff around here. Plus it's lunch, it's important, unlike a game that hardly had 8 hours worth of gameplay. And if you took 8 hours to finish Portal 1, congratulations. You extended its gameplay length by 5-6 hours!

But you must be one of those sad people that think that if it's this way where they live. then it must be like that everywhere else. Sad indeed...

Not as much as I laugh with posts such as yours, that compare lunch to a game.

Even more if it's a lunch that costs 20 euros (which was the retail price for Portal, it was over 20 euros in Steam by itself). A 20 euros lunch is lobster or some fancy stuff around here. Plus it's lunch, it's important, unlike a game that hardly had 8 hours worth of gameplay. And if you took 8 hours to finish Portal 1, congratulations. You extended its gameplay length by 5-6 hours!

But you must be one of those sad people that think that if it's this way where they live. then it must be like that everywhere else. Sad indeed...

A burger and a few beers is easily $20 around here in Chicago.

All I was trying to say was, some people (most people on this forum) spend hundreds and/or thousands of dollars on their computers, but $20 is too much to spend on a game that, yes, is 5 hours or so originally. Have you never played a game more than once before?

Silly me, I must be one of those sad people that thinks games actually have replay value. :(

Pre-ordered.
Installed Portal (1) lastnight to play through again a few times.

A burger and a few beers is easily $20 around here in Chicago.

All I was trying to say was, some people (most people on this forum) spend hundreds and/or thousands of dollars on their computers, but $20 is too much to spend on a game that, yes, is 5 hours or so originally. Have you never played a game more than once before?

Silly me, I must be one of those sad people that thinks games actually have replay value. :(

20 euros in 2007 (when Portal was released), was around 30 USD. Now if you think 30 dollars is a great price for a 2-3 hour game, go ahead and buy it. This is definitely not what I think and I won't buy anything that offers such a low amount of content for so much money. With 20 euros I can have lunch for a week in my work place's cantine.

Also...replay value ? Portal's replay value, exists only in the bonus maps, which are mostly the same maps found in the SP campaign with a few twists. I wouldn't call that "replay value", especially in a puzzle game, where when you find the solution, the fun is over, but to each his own.

Argument is stupid with exchange rates. We get it, Euro currency is overly expensive. Big whoop. Every EU player has this argument.

Here in the states it's a different perspective, rightly so. Let him have his opinion and you can have yours. It isn't your money so 'fo get o bout it. You have a beef with Portal, take it away from the "hey this game is gonna be awesome" people and go make a "Portal has no replay value" thread instead.

Argument is stupid with exchange rates. We get it, Euro currency is overly expensive. Big whoop. Every EU player has this argument.

Here in the states it's a different perspective, rightly so. Let him have his opinion and you can have yours. It isn't your money so 'fo get o bout it. You have a beef with Portal, take it away from the "hey this game is gonna be awesome" people and go make a "Portal has no replay value" thread instead.

Ah so he laughed at my opinion, but I must let him have his without retort ?? Stupid argument is stupid...

AMD T-type said:
Comments like this just make me laugh I guess

And I have no beef with Portal. Far from it. It's the only Valve game in quite a while worth a damn IMO. But the admission price was ludicrous for 1 and is for 2 as well. That was my opinion, but I was "laughed" at. Oh right, but I must let others have their opinion, when others don't let me have mine...:rolleyes:

Ah so he laughed at my opinion, but I must let him have his without retort ?? Stupid argument is stupid...

The internet matters? It doesn't. The difference is, the argument and statements you are presenting are being misconstrued as your opinion and instead are being taken as trying to argue (you may not mean it that way, but you should probably try and use less combative wording). It makes you less credible, despite the fact you are trying not to. Just move on? "Be the better man", yah?

Anyway, I plan on pre-purchasing it. *sagenod*

217536907_DUmmd-L-2.jpg

pod_bay_doors.png

cutting_edge.png

Last edited:
The internet matters? It doesn't. The difference is, the argument and statements you are presenting are being misconstrued as your opinion and instead are being taken as trying to argue (you may not mean it that way, but you should probably try and use less combative wording). It makes you less credible, despite the fact you are trying not to. Just move on? "Be the better man", yah?

Anyway, I plan on pre-purchasing it. *sagenod*

Nah, that doesn't fly. Being "the better man", just means letting others constantly batter one self with dumb arguments. Combative wording is funny too. One defending his argument with "I laugh at your comment" is perfectly fine, but retorting to that is "combative wording"...

Moving on, my point was done in the very first post anyway. Have fun "being the better man" yourself.

You know, if you want to shit up a thread, you might pick one where the OP doesn't happen to be one of the forum supermods. Cut the crap and get back on topic.

I'm planning on buying the game launch day because I know it won't sell out and I know that people who pre-order on Steam are going to get burned by a late release time.

I wouldn't doubt in the slightest if Valve is late on unlocking the game, they don't exactly have a good track record in that regard. A box copy won't get unlocked any sooner than a digital copy though, they both have to validate through Steam.

I dont buy any games w/o a discount these days. Only takes a few weeks ;)

if I want to go in on a 2pack with someone for $40. is that going to have to be settled with paypal / mailing a check?

none of my real life friends want a copy.

if I want to go in on a 2pack with someone for $40. is that going to have to be settled with paypal / mailing a check?

none of my real life friends want a copy.

If you want to set something like that up, Steam multi-pack deals are allowed to be posted in the FS/FT forum to find other people to buy with.

I know it will be worth every penny @ full price... but my I am poor and I know Valve will have this on sale within the year so I'm going to wait for that.

I wouldn't doubt in the slightest if Valve is late on unlocking the game, they don't exactly have a good track record in that regard. A box copy won't get unlocked any sooner than a digital copy though, they both have to validate through Steam.

But but..... last time they were out of beta and releasing on time!!!

Waiting, Steam backlog demands my attention. The last Day 0 buy (until the D2D Witcher 2 deal) was Civ V and I haven't done anything more than start it up to look at the main menu.

I'm excited about it but I'll wait until the price comes down. Don't have much time for video games these days.

I will be buying it when it comes out. Not a fan or pre ordering

I think I am going to get the PS3 version. Id rather play on 360 cause more of my friends have it but I really want the free PC version and the PS3 to PC co op and cloud storage look cool.

I pre-ordered a couple of copies in February...just waiting for it to come out. I think it was 20% off with the 2-pack deal anyways.

As much as I enjoyed the first one, I don't ever buy games full price anymore. Steam sales have spoiled me.

Waiting for at least 50% discount in 3-6 months after launch, there is NO WAY I'm paying the UK asking price for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back