The Pixel 2 XL that Wasn't Now the HTC U11+

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
There was a lot of talk going around when Google apprently abondoned its "Muskie" designed next-gen Pixel 2 XL phone, and a lot of folks did not seem to be so happy about that. But don't fear, as it looks as though HTC is going to sell its own version of the "Muskie" but with some design changes of course, and very likely will not carry Google's own image processing logic, the Pixel Visual Core. But do fear if you are in the USA, as it seems the HTC U11+ will not be sold here. The Pixel 2 XL takes some wicked cool pictures right now without use of that Pixel Visual Core. Here is a quick pic I shot at a live show last night.

Check out the pic.

On a related note, if this is a phone based off of “muskie,” is anyone wondering if that has anything to do with it not being available for purchase in the US? HTC told us that they just didn’t want to step on the toes of U11 owners. However, that seems like an odd thing to worry about when you just announced what could be the most advanced phone you’ve ever built.

Makes me wonder if Google had a Do Not Compete clause for the hardware/design in the contract they originally had with HTC, which is still in effect even with the 2-XL going bye-bye.

Does it have an MS vagina... I mean 3.5 jack

No, and like removable batteries, this "feature" will only be found on select high end phones, most mid range, and nearly every low range phone from now on, until it too goes the way of heart rate and TV sensors.

No, and like removable batteries, this "feature" will only be found on select high end phones, most mid range, and nearly every low range phone from now on, until it too goes the way of heart rate and TV sensors.

I keep a Galaxy S3 around as "One remote to rule them all." Between the IR Blaster and being able to control the few "smart home" things I have, it's well worth the upgrade to Qi charging and a few pads around the house. I would be using an S5, but it fell out of my pocket as I was getting in the car at the drag strip. So I ran over it, and then every car behind me in the staging lane did too (>=15). I would have taken a picture of the cute little pile that was left, but.... Silver lining, I broke into the mid-12s :D

Still not sure why the IR died, other then it was hard to integrate into the aesthetic. Hard to imagine no one used it, as it's so friggin nice to have one thing to control every room in the house. It even works on my 25 year old receiver, a Kenwood KR-V8050 (still hard to find something cleaner at a decent price, but connectivity sux). May have to pick up an S5 soon for when the S3 finally dies.

As for the Pixel-H11 whatever, looks like a nice phone. That pic is pretty good considering the lighting involved. However, I'm still pondering going dumb phone. Give me calls, txts, a halfway decent camera, and drop all those charges related to a data capable device (moar go-fast goodies). I might actually have a conversation with strangers, if they aren't sucked into their smart phones. It'll be like the 90s :cool:

I love my HTC One M8. IR Blaster, headphone jack, stereo speakers, plus the normal stuff like Bluetooth and the not so normal HTC Connect which allows Miracast and Airplay. I fear that going to the lastest HTC would be a downgrade (why?)

That really is some excellent low light performance, my 6P is pretty dismal in that department.

Back