The Perfect Gaming / Video Editing CPU

Guys/Gals,

I am planning to give the below setup (in sig) to my bro-in-law with the exception of the graphics cards/monitors. I'm looking at the Rampage IV Black Edition board but wanted to reach out to you all and ask what the best CPU would be to get for my new kick ass build?

dc

Greetings

The S2011 quad cores won't do justice for your 3 GTX780's in tri-sli

The 4960X and 3960X are too expensive and the 200 extra Mhz and the 15MB cache Vs the 12MB cache on the mid range hexacores doesn't do that much extra.

The 3930K and 4930K are contenders but the newer 4930K uses 68 watts less power at 100%, this will make a huge difference regarding cooling, so the 3930K is out.

In case your still prevaricating over whether a hexacore is better than a quad core then read the whole article here but pay specific attention to minimum frame rates on this page for the hexacore Vs the quadcore.

I don't think there is any other reasonable choice at this time

Cheers

3770k or 4930k unless $ is no issue :O

Greetings

The S2011 quad cores won't do justice for your 3 GTX780's in tri-sli

The 4960X and 3960X are too expensive and the 200 extra Mhz and the 15MB cache Vs the 12MB cache on the mid range hexacores doesn't do that much extra.

The 3930K and 4930K are contenders but the newer 4930K uses 68 watts less power at 100%, this will make a huge difference regarding cooling, so the 3930K is out.

In case your still prevaricating over whether a hexacore is better than a quad core then read the whole article here but pay specific attention to minimum frame rates on this page for the hexacore Vs the quadcore.

I don't think there is any other reasonable choice at this time

Cheers

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it. Looks like I found my CPU... 4930 or Haswell E .... but not sure I want to wait until Q3 of this year for it to be released.... so far its the 4930 :D

well the possibility is it will be a heck of a jump as they have taken the time to tune haswell-e more so then they have for the standard on, power drop will be quite good I would imagine as they had time to mature the process.
and yes my bad on the cpu I stated sandy numbers not ivy numbers I had a brain fart, 3770k vs 4770k AVERAGE 3770k is the better pick (ivy vs haswell) especially factoring in overclocking, however sandy vs ivy in the -E variants, definitely Ivy i.e 39xx vs 49xx. 6 core is where it is at for multi-gpu I believe it simply has more to do with the available amount of pci-e lanes and memory capacity more so then a massive performance jump in the cpu ability as this seems to be at best a small bump but for multi- gpu the difference does seem to be quite worth it, simply feeds the gpu that much better, where for a single gpu user generally the -E variants for most users, not worth it.

Just a question cause I had a buddy of mine using a very high resolution i.e 2560x1440 tri monitor setup went from quad gpu to tri gpu he is now using a single gpu in his opinion it was quite worth it for awhile but for the level of performance he was getting from the newest cards (780Ti upgraded from dual Titan) he said single simply provides ample enough frame rates and it does seem to be smoother even though the raw frame numbers say otherwise.

Question is, is it really helping in your case to have tri 780 vs just using 2 of them cause I have heard many times, tri or quad setups(exception the x2 cards) do not scale the greatest 9/10, so curiosity is all.

already said that but 4930 is faster and overall just the better pick where 3770 vs 4770 average states 3770 better pick 3570 vs 4670 4670 is faster but 3570 is better choice if overclocking taken into account.

So yeh, Ivy vs haswell, Ivy on average (at least right now) is the better value everything taken into account, maybe haswell-E will be better pick.

Sandy-E vs Ivy-E, definitely Ivy, faster, better temps, better $/performance etc.

Back