The perfect 4K 43” monitor! Soon! Asus XG438Q ROG

If you read my last several replies I mentioned having a 43" TV on each side of my 32" gaming monitor.

The left one is RGB and the right one is BGR. I have no issues with the BGR compared to the RGB.
I'm using 100% scaling at 3' away from the middle of the screens to my eyeballs. I'm using windows 10, cleartype and the sharpness settings +/- in the tv's OSDisplay controls.

I am aware you don'rt have much of an issue with the BGR aspect, but you are fortunate, and I'd suggest in the minority... plus it depends how far you're sat from it. I've seen a BGR panel before and the text was immediately obvious to me. I am coming from 32" 4K IPS though, so maybe more obvious. Visual acuity also comes into play, and everyone differs there slightly. No it won't be an issue for some, but Asus clearly hobbled this monitor by going this way.

Well as I said, I'm 3' away ( I wouldn't think of sitting closer than 2.5') .. but more importantly I'm using cleartype and both of my 43" tvs have a sharpness control +/- in their OSD. That control makes a big difference in harshness or softness of text edges. I'm not aware of a sharpness control on the asus 43" .

I've had several people look at my monitors with pages of text on them , not telling them which is BGR, and they have had no issues and haven't called out either as being weird text or hard to read. The 32" 1440p with it's lack of a sharpness control is the one that stands out text wise as being poor.

I have both of my 43" tvs on a giant ergoton LX HD arms so if I really wanted to , I could just flip it around. :ROFLMAO:

Well as I said, I'm 3' away ( I wouldn't think of sitting closer than 2.5') .. but more importantly I'm using cleartype and both of my 43" tvs have a sharpness control +/- in their OSD. That control makes a big difference in harshness or softness of text edges. I'm not aware of a sharpness control on the asus 43" .

I've had several people look at my monitors with pages of text on them , not telling them which is BGR, and they have had no issues and haven't called out either as being weird text or hard to read. The 32" 1440p with it's lack of a sharpness control is the one that stands out text wise as being poo

Yes, 32" 1440p is worse than 43" with BGR, sat from 3' away. It mostly comes down to what someone is used to. It won't be the same for everyone of course.

I edited the post from the "poor" typo after you responded quickly but I guess "poo" works too. lol

I just flipped the BGR screen upside down just because I've been mentioning it so much as an alternative.

I don't see any real difference at my viewing distance with my cleartype settings in windows 10 and the TV's sharpness adjusted to my liking at 100% scaling but now I can say it's RGB I guess.

Other than the tiny samsung logo being upside down at the now top of the screen it's more or less the same physically on the desk too.

---

Spealking of all of this monitor flipping, I wonder how sideways pixels work on text for people who spin their monitors on an arm or a high enough tilt base. I don't remember anyone complaining about that. Wouldn't they be

R-- B/G--R

or
R-R-R
G-G-G
B-B-B

hfJceTa.jpg

Last edited:
I just flipped the BGR screen upside down just because I've been mentioning it so much as an alternative.

I don't see any real difference at my viewing distance with my cleartype settings in windows 10 and the TV's sharpness adjusted to my liking at 100% scaling but now I can say it's RGB I guess.

Other than the tiny samsung logo being upside down at the now top of the screen it's more or less the same physically on the desk too.

---

Spealking of all of this monitor flipping, I wonder how sideways pixels work on text for people who spin their monitors on an arm or a high enough tilt base. I don't remember anyone complaining about that. Wouldn't they be

R-- B/G--R

or
R-R-R
G-G-G
B-B-B

View attachment 186069

I think it depends on the display. On my PG278Q the sideways mode always looked off to me, I thought it was because TN viewing angles became a noticeable issue when in portrait they are no big deal on this screen but I need to check it again when I get my computer back in one piece again (Ryzen upgrade). I also want to try running my RGB display with the BGR setting on Cleartype just to see how it looks.

On another note, there seems to be absolutely no new info about the Acer CG437K P despite it being quite close to supposed release. Is Acer always this bad at marketing? TFTCentral’s lists say it’s a different panel than what is in the Asus but whether that means any different performance is another question.

---

R-- B/G--R

or
R-R-R
G-G-G
B-B-B

View attachment 186069

The issue (from what I understand) with BGR arrays is that Windows does not know how to recognize or respond to them for text rendering. So you get some artifacts because the OS tries to treat it like an RGB array. Windows OS does have settings for landscape monitors, so presumably it has provisions for rendering text in a sideways RGB array. My guess would be that's why the text on sideways monitors looks fine.

---

R-- B/G--R

or
R-R-R
G-G-G
B-B-B

View attachment 186069

Portrait rotated monitors SUCKED for text / work productivity because of this.

ROG-INVERSION.jpg
upload pics and share link

Last edited:
I suppose if you want to rotate this display you'll have to purchase all cables that are at an angle.

I'll wait and see how their next one is. Eventually someone will put out a really good larger screen monitor for gaming.

Lol wtf is this what we're coming to? Flipping our displays upside down instead of just letting the monitor makers give us a proper display to begin with.

The issue (from what I understand) with BGR arrays is that Windows does not know how to recognize or respond to them for text rendering. So you get some artifacts because the OS tries to treat it like an RGB array. Windows OS does have settings for landscape monitors, so presumably it has provisions for rendering text in a sideways RGB array. My guess would be that's why the text on sideways monitors looks fine.

According to documentation ClearType does understand BGR just fine so it should not be an issue for the OS. Might be something about how BGR renders visually with ClearType. Those with this monitor, what kind of results do you get simply by disabling ClearType?

According to documentation ClearType does understand BGR just fine so it should not be an issue for the OS. Might be something about how BGR renders visually with ClearType. Those with this monitor, what kind of results do you get simply by disabling ClearType?

You can open your display properties and flip your display output upside down temporarily to see what BGR looks like. You don't have to turn your head or read upside down in order to see how text edges look - but you might have to in order to switch your screen output back to upright depending on your reading skills. :ROFLMAO:

I'd still use cleartype and tune it regardless of pixel or screen orientation.

Last edited:
You can open your display properties and flip your display output upside down temporarily to see what BGR looks like. You don't have to turn your head or read upside down in order to see how text edges look - but you might have to in order to switch you screen output back to upright depending on your reading skills. :ROFLMAO:

I'd still use cleartype and tune it regardless of pixel or screen orientation.

Tried that and honestly it's hard to tell a noticeable difference. I think if I was able to read the text I might notice it more. It seems to be mostly an issue with smaller fonts like you would have on 100% scale.

Personally I'd even use my 1440p 27" display with scaling if Windows supported a 110% scaling option. As it doesn't (and the old custom scale option does not work that well) I've settled to just using things like browser zoom. On a 4K display I'd probably use scaling at all times.

Reactions: elvn
like this
If you set your clear type tuning on BGR and tune the clear type settings
Tried that and honestly it's hard to tell a noticeable difference. I think if I was able to read the text I might notice it more. It seems to be mostly an issue with smaller fonts like you would have on 100% scale.

Personally I'd even use my 1440p 27" display with scaling if Windows supported a 110% scaling option. As it doesn't (and the old custom scale option does not work that well) I've settled to just using things like browser zoom. On a 4K display I'd probably use scaling at all times.

You can tweak the text in more using the tuner walk through in clear type tuner so that it turns out looking the best for whichever orientation and specifics of a monitor. . What's nice is you can set clear type tuning differently on a per monitor basis if you are running multiple. monitors., too. So your BGR and rgb monitors or monitors of different types and screen coatings, resolutions, etc. can all be tweaked individually..

For me that means I can adjust my 1440p 32 inch which lacks a sharpness setting in its osd separate from my 43inch 4k tcl rgb VA and my 43inch 4k GBR (or rgb when flipped) samsung. When I had it tweaked in GBR mode with both clear type and the sharpness setting +/- in its OSD at 3' viewing distance I had zero issues with text even on default text interfaces at 100% scaling, and flipping the monitor on its monitor arm didn't produce visible difference either.

Currently I use a 48" 4k screen at 100% scaling and sometimes I still find fonts not as sharp as I'd like, even though the screen is RGB (Sony XBR 850b). I'm really concerned about getting this BGR monitor if there's any issue with reading text at 4k/100% scale for 8+ hours a day. If this one issue could be put to bed, this is the closest thing to a perfect screen to replace my TV / home work screen.

Currently I use a 48" 4k screen at 100% scaling and sometimes I still find fonts not as sharp as I'd like, even though the screen is RGB (Sony XBR 850b). I'm really concerned about getting this BGR monitor if there's any issue with reading text at 4k/100% scale for 8+ hours a day. If this one issue could be put to bed, this is the closest thing to a perfect screen to replace my TV / home work screen.

There are some differences and questions that come to mind about your screen.

-----------------

- 48" diagonal is considerably larger than a 43" screen. It's 4.5" wider and 2.5" taller. ( I think 43" is pushing it size wise at 30" - 38" away).
- 48" diagonal's ppi is larger at 91.79ppi ,.compared to 102.46ppi at 43"
.......(or 92.75ppi if 47.5 ,103.67ppi at 42.5") ..
.......My 32" 1440p is 93.24ppi and isn't great for text up close, but also lacks a sharpness control in the osd which doesn't help either. The text on the 43" 4k tvs at 36 - 38"' looks similar to that of a 27" 1440p at 1.5 - 2'., the 93.24ppi 1440p is lacking and doesn't not.
-
-
- What distance are you viewing a 48" desktop from the screen surface to your eyeballs?
- What type of screen coating does your 48" screen have?
......My samsung nu6900 and TCL s405 43" screens have semi gloss which is very much like glossy without AG "noise".
- Have you run through all of the cleartype tuning sets, perhaps repeatedly trying different settings if you still didn't like the result?
- Does your monitor have a sharpness control in it's OSD menus?... (and does the 43" xG438Q Asus?)
- Have you tried adjusting the digital noise reduction settings on your TV up/down/off?, The sharpness +/- , the gamma +/-. contrast enhancer off.
- Also make sure you are using 3840x2160 4k and not 4096x2160 4k signal and that any scaling or "fit screen" options are turned off.

-TVs and gpus also have RGB and Ycbr output settings so make sure you are using the right one on both.

--------------

Like I said in the bullets above, the ppi is a magnitude worse than a 43" at 48" 4k's 91.79ppi, much like 31.5" 1440p at 93.24ppi - so that is a big difference right there unless you are sitting considerably farther than 3' away.

Last edited:
The XG43Q8 display doesn't look like it would be obnoxious upside down. Yeah you shouldn't have to but you could. The bgr is not an issue on my 43" 4k samsung with cleartype tuner and the OSD sharpness control. No visible difference upside down or default orientation.

For the XG43Q8.... all the photos below have been flipped upside down.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vesa mount is central so no problem there.

The hidden downward ports, then upward, would channel out with the cable(s) swept horizontally and down like a shepard's hook (or you could buy 90deg adapters, around $13 each for 90deg displayport adapters on amazon and $5 each for 18gbps hdmi 2.0 angled adapters though you could prob find them cheaper somewhere).

The side ports would just switch sides...
The screen comes with a remote so you don't really have to use the OSD buttons on the monitor either.

I didn't edit the image to show the content on the screen flipped but the chasis looks fine I think.

If it's anything like my 43" samsung's BRG with cleartype I wouldn't have any problem with the text at all in the regular orientation. However if anyone who has the XG438Q can tell me if it has a sharpness setting in the OSD I'd appreciate it. I don't think I'd have a problem flipping it though either, with a good vesa mount.

Newegg has it out of stock with a list price of $1099.99 currently by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panel
like this
There are some differences and questions that come to mind about your screen.

-----------------
- What distance are you viewing a 48" desktop from the screen surface to your eyeballs?
- What type of screen coating does your 48" screen have?
......My samsung nu6900 and TCL s405 43" screens have semi gloss which is very much like glossy without AG "noise".
- Have you run through all of the cleartype tuning sets, perhaps repeatedly trying different settings if you still didn't like the result?
- Does your monitor have a sharpness control in it's OSD menus?... (and does the 43" xG438Q Asus?)
- Have you tried adjusting the digital noise reduction settings on your TV up/down/off?, The sharpness +/- , the gamma +/-. contrast enhancer off.
- Also make sure you are using 3840x2160 4k and not 4096x2160 4k signal and that any scaling or "fit screen" options are turned off.

-TVs and gpus also have RGB and Ycbr output settings so make sure you are using the right one on both.

Thanks for info! For my 49" Sony x850b:

1. sitting about 3.5ft from it
2. no idea on coating
3. cleartype settings all tuned. It's not bad, but my eyes do tire of looking at the text more for long periods.
4. It does have sharpness in OSD and it's turned up.
5. yep, all tuned
6. indeed using 3840x2160 4k (not 4096x2160), scaling off

However, I am stuck at 60hz and even worse 4:2:0 gamma compression. in most cases the gamma correction isn't so bad, but specifically red text on a black background is virtually unreadable. :/

Last edited:
I figured the pixel size was the,main issue on a 48" screen, similar to the pixel size of my 1440p 31.5" screen (even slightly worse than that). However, I suspected some other tv settings could be making it worse. That compression could mess up cleartype amd text rendering.

From an old 2014 thread:

To clarify this.
HDMI 1.xx doesnt have the bandwidth to run 4K screens at 60Hz full res.
NVidia just released a driver that reduces colour quality to reduce the required bandwidth so 60Hz can fit down HDMI 1.xx.
Unfortunately, this reduces the quality and makes text look bad.

Use 30Hz if you are currently using 60Hz.

I am laughing my ass off on how....in the year 2019 we have to flip "high end" displays 180 degrees....I mean I should not be surprised by this because I had to "fix" my X27's fan with a paper clip....The "gaming" monitor industry never fails to entertain with its quirky nonsensical senseless nonsense!

Most industries are desperate to find out what customers want so that they can make profit....yet in the gaming display industry, the customers have been yelling and screaming for a QUALITY 32" 4k High Refresh display since 2016 and we still won't have one for another 6-12 months.....yet here we are with an upside down pig! LOL

Last edited:
A $5000 professional pro art monitor up to a year from now?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a year from now and $5000 plus tax when there will be hdm 2.1i input 4k tvs, and consoles doing hacked/hybrid 4k 120hz with VRR.. but who knows when nvidia will have hdmi 2.1 VRR gpus. This 43" is $1000 - 1200 now. The gk850g was like $800 at release (I got mine for $600 a year ago) for comparison. The ppi and text is way worse and the native contrast is 1000 less on that one, and it's obviously smaller.

BGR Cleartype at 3'+.. or Flipping the Monitor
---------------------------------------------------------------------
At least there is a way to make it rgb fairly easily if you feel like you have to and can afford to vesa mount it.
I don't think the housing upside down looks bad at all. Bezels are so slim now. Of course the screen orientation in this picture would be flipped in the display settings.
Having to shell out money to get a vesa stand capable of holding this monitor for people who weren't planning on getting one kind of sucks, however.a lot of people dislike the asus stands anyway and were complaining when they thought this wouldn't have a vesa mount capability, myself included.

Bandwidth limitations dp 1.4, hdmi 2.0
------------------------------------------------------
The big thing that bothers me about all of these monitors is that dp 1.4 can't do 4:4:4 120hz 10bit because the ports and gpus all lack the bandwidth and the hdmi ports will never do over 60hz at 4k. For the next iteration of the asus and acer 43" monitors with hdr1000 - DisplayPort Compression DSC will probably hurt text like dropping to lower chroma, and it only works on 2000 series gpus. DSC mentions 3:1 compression. I'm not sure how much that drops the quality compared to upscaling 1440p(gaining much higher fps) or dropping to 4:2:2 chroma.

1000nit 144hz models require 2000 series gpus to use DSC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I'm supposed to double down and buy this non hdmi 2.1 limited display, then a non hdmi 2.1 limited gpu that doesn't even give me much more fps and completely tanks fps if I use it's rtx feature.. in order to get a144hz compression limited compromise for another year or so. Hrmm. nah. This is what I mean about breadcrumbs roadmaps leading you on. Just buy all of these incrementally better and compromised to work things that "technically" can do 4k at 120hz, and sort-of does HDR , then buy again in a year .. /s.

What we want is out of reach without a time machine
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
So really the monitors a lot of us want are still in 2020 or even 2021 , especially waiting on the hdmi 2.1 gpus (and a die shrink) to drive them . I still won't be dropping 4 - 5 k on a gaming monitor then regardless.

What we have right now in taller than 13" - 14" high hz dark monitors
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For what this is all things considered this monitor seems like a decent choice for the price, (though it prob could be $850 instead of $1100 ) to hold over until hdmi 2.1 stuff is in full swing 2020 - 2021 and displays could have better HDR capability. That is at least if you have $1200 to burn now instead of saving it for a sale later or toward a different monitor in 2020+. It's better than my 32" gk850g gaming monitor in many ways. Size, native contrast, quasi HDR and LD HDR contrast where the 850g has none, and appropriate pixel density.

The XG43Q8 display doesn't look like it would be obnoxious upside down. Yeah you shouldn't have to but you could. The bgr is not an issue on my 43" 4k samsung with cleartype tuner and the OSD sharpness control. No visible difference upside down or default orientation.

For the XG43Q8.... all the photos below have been flipped upside down.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vesa mount is central so no problem there.

The hidden downward ports, then upward, would channel out with the cable(s) swept horizontally and down like a shepard's hook (or you could buy 90deg adapters, around $13 each for 90deg displayport adapters on amazon and $5 each for 18gbps hdmi 2.0 angled adapters though you could prob find them cheaper somewhere).

The side ports would just switch sides...
The screen comes with a remote so you don't really have to use the OSD buttons on the monitor either.

I didn't edit the image to show the content on the screen flipped but the chasis looks fine I think.

If it's anything like my 43" samsung's BRG with cleartype I wouldn't have any problem with the text at all in the regular orientation. However if anyone who has the XG438Q can tell me if it has a sharpness setting in the OSD I'd appreciate it. I don't think I'd have a problem flipping it though either, with a good vesa mount.

Newegg has it out of stock with a list price of $1099.99 currently by the way.

Flipping the display comes with the problem of spending the money for a VESA stand that can support a display as heavy as this and they don’t seem to be cheap. Also I don’t think BIOS allows for flipped screen so that would be a problem too.

Seems a competent enough review. Didn't see it posted yet, but apologize if I missed it. Pages don't load fast enough on my phone.

and I'll probably pick up a ps5 with hdmi 2.1 (and some form of hacked/work-around/hybrid 4k 120hz capability) for exclusives too.
Consoles can be modded for high refresh? How?
You are paying for the displayport in order to get 120hz capablity off of a non -hdmi 2.1 gpu, and paying for the overdrive implementation and tighter response times. Otherwise this would be comparable to a $400 tv which are quite good but lacking in those features.
Suppose an HDMI 2.1 graphics card comes out tomorrow. IS there actually any 43” TV that has HDMI 2.1? I don’t think there is. If there was, I’d buy it. And by the way, what IS the best 43” for picture quality in general? The Samsung Frame?

Flipping the display comes with the problem of spending the money for a VESA stand that can support a display as heavy as this and they don’t seem to be cheap. Also I don’t think BIOS allows for flipped screen so that would be a problem too.

Good points.

I was upset when these at first had the possibility of no VESA mount personally, so a mount was always in mind. I remember not being the only one. TV wall mounts would be cheaper.

I run three monitors and my hdmi seems to be the one that shows the bios screen so my tcl 43" can do it. I mean yeah if you can't stand BGR but like I said before at least with clear type and sharpness settings form 3 feet away BGR was not different to me, neither was flipping my samsung screen on its monitor arm. The XG438Q doesn't have a sharpness control though. Maybe someone who owns it could say what the BGR looks like at 3 feet away after clear type tuning in the default orientation and test setting their display settings to flip the graphics output upside down briefly. as well.

Last edited:
Maybe someone who owns it could say what the BGR looks like at 3 feet away after clear type tuning in the default orientation

That would be nice. Can someone who has it already comment on this? How does text look to you with clear type at 100% scaling from 3 feet away? How about 2 feet? Any opinions would be welcome.

And do the display properties temporary upside down signal trick and run cleartype tuner again to see if there is a difference if possible.

AHhhh I just found out my 48" Sony XBR 850b is actually a BGR (and NOT rgb as I had thought)... which I had no idea for years. No wonder I thought the text was a little blurry. After some tuning today, I found that Grayscale Cleartype is much more legible than either rgb or bgr aliasing. I used this utility: https://github.com/bp2008/BetterClearTypeTuner

Now I really want to see an review of the xg438q using cleartype aliasing set to grayscale (and maybe set font scaling to 110-120%).

Last edited:
A reviewer on amazon drilled two holes into a $33 ceiling pole vesa mount kit's pole and mounted it to a wall behind his desk here:

He went a little beyond and manufactured a plexiglass plate in order to mount two monitors in portrait mode side by side on the same vesa mount but the picture shows how easy it would be to mount that or a regular vesa bracket to a wall stud for $30 - $40. What's nice about the pole mount is that it can telescope up and down in addition to tilting and spinning

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
AHhhh I just found out my 48" Sony XBR 850b is actually a BGR (and NOT rgb as I had thought)... which I had no idea for years. No wonder I thought the text was a little blurry. After some tuning today, I found that Grayscale Cleartype is much more legible than either rgb/bgf aliasing. I used this utility: https://github.com/bp2008/BetterClearTypeTuner

Now I really want to see an review of the xg438q using cleartype aliasing set to grayscale (and maybe set font scaling to 110-120%).

Ah very nice. Good detective work on both the monitor and the cleartype utility. I'll give it a try too.

I still think your 48" at 3' - 3.5' viewing distance will be the same or worse than a 32" 1440p's ppi so the text will never look as tight as a 43" at those same distances unfortunately. I have a 32" 1440p in the same array with my 43" 4k monitors.

-----

I made a quick sloppy edit of the upside down UX438Q so that the game display would be upright on the upside down monitor housing. Yeah you shouldn't have to do it but if you must have RGB - it doesn't look bad to me at all.

-----

edit:
unlike the built in windows 10 version of cleartype settings - that other utility can't set different cleartype per individual monitor in a multi-monitor array unfortunately so it's not as useful to me with the 32" 1440p in the middle and all three of my monitors now being RGB with the flip on the vesa arm I did of the samsung.

Last edited:
It should not be. It can be perceived to be less responsive due to lower framerates though.

I just have a feeling there is an increase input lag when using 4K vs 1440p.

I am sure TVs have this characteristic, so I assume monitors do too.

I just have a feeling there is an increase input lag when using 4K vs 1440p.

I am sure TVs have this characteristic, so I assume monitors do too.

TVs used to have more variance in this but now most have the same input lag regardless of resolution, HDR vs SDR etc. I know full well what you mean because using 4K DSR on my 1440p display initially feels less responsive but that is caused largely by fps dropping from say 100 to around 60. Try changing refresh rate from 120+ Hz on the desktop to 60 Hz and you will see the same phenomenon.

Within margin of error ;).

Exactly, but it's not higher is the point I was getting at. :)

Like kasakka said, I think that phenomenon used to happen a lot with older TVs but they've gotten so much better, thankfully.

Exactly, but it's not higher is the point I was getting at. :)

Like kasakka said, I think that phenomenon used to happen a lot with older TVs but they've gotten so much better, thankfully.

Exactly. My Samsung TV from 2016 adds about 15 ms of lag if you run its color at 4:4:4 and that is noticeable when piled over the 20ms lag it has in other modes.

Back