The perfect 4K 43” monitor! Soon! Asus XG438Q ROG

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Omegaferrari, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Frraksurred

Frraksurred 2[H]4U

Seems a competent enough review. Didn't see it posted yet, but apologize if I missed it. Pages don't load fast enough on my phone.

2. Panel

Panel Limp Gawd

Consoles can be modded for high refresh? How?
    Suppose an HDMI 2.1 graphics card comes out tomorrow. IS there actually any 43” TV that has HDMI 2.1? I don’t think there is. If there was, I’d buy it. And by the way, what IS the best 43” for picture quality in general? The Samsung Frame?

3. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

Good points.

I was upset when these at first had the possibility of no VESA mount personally, so a mount was always in mind. I remember not being the only one. TV wall mounts would be cheaper.

I run three monitors and my hdmi seems to be the one that shows the bios screen so my tcl 43" can do it. I mean yeah if you can't stand BGR but like I said before at least with clear type and sharpness settings form 3 feet away BGR was not different to me, neither was flipping my samsung screen on its monitor arm. The XG438Q doesn't have a sharpness control though. Maybe someone who owns it could say what the BGR looks like at 3 feet away after clear type tuning in the default orientation and test setting their display settings to flip the graphics output upside down briefly. as well.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 9:37 AM
  4. shadow2761

shadow2761 [H]Lite

Does anybody know if using 4K res for gaming is higher input delay then using say, 1440p?

5. kasakka

kasakka [H]ard|Gawd

It should not be. It can be perceived to be less responsive due to lower framerates though.

6. justin_43

justin_43 Limp Gawd

That would be nice. Can someone who has it already comment on this? How does text look to you with clear type at 100% scaling from 3 feet away? How about 2 feet? Any opinions would be welcome.

7. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

And do the display properties temporary upside down signal trick and run cleartype tuner again to see if there is a difference if possible.

8. jadders

jadders n00b

AHhhh I just found out my 48" Sony XBR 850b is actually a BGR (and NOT rgb as I had thought)... which I had no idea for years. No wonder I thought the text was a little blurry. After some tuning today, I found that Grayscale Cleartype is much more legible than either rgb or bgr aliasing. I used this utility: https://github.com/bp2008/BetterClearTypeTuner

Now I really want to see an review of the xg438q using cleartype aliasing set to grayscale (and maybe set font scaling to 110-120%).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    kasakka and elvn like this.
  9. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

A reviewer on amazon drilled two holes into a $33 ceiling pole vesa mount kit's pole and mounted it to a wall behind his desk here:

He went a little beyond and manufactured a plexiglass plate in order to mount two monitors in portrait mode side by side on the same vesa mount but the picture shows how easy it would be to mount that or a regular vesa bracket to a wall stud for $30 - $40. What's nice about the pole mount is that it can telescope up and down in addition to tilting and spinning

10. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

Ah very nice. Good detective work on both the monitor and the cleartype utility. I'll give it a try too.

I still think your 48" at 3' - 3.5' viewing distance will be the same or worse than a 32" 1440p's ppi so the text will never look as tight as a 43" at those same distances unfortunately. I have a 32" 1440p in the same array with my 43" 4k monitors.

-----

I made a quick sloppy edit of the upside down UX438Q so that the game display would be upright on the upside down monitor housing. Yeah you shouldn't have to do it but if you must have RGB - it doesn't look bad to me at all.

-----

edit:
    unlike the built in windows 10 version of cleartype settings - that other utility can't set different cleartype per individual monitor in a multi-monitor array unfortunately so it's not as useful to me with the 32" 1440p in the middle and all three of my monitors now being RGB with the flip on the vesa arm I did of the samsung.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:46 PM
  11. burt1972

burt1972 n00b

its clearly visible in hdr mode. in sdr its not that bad.. its a big halo effect; much bigger on left side.

12. shadow2761

shadow2761 [H]Lite

I just have a feeling there is an increase input lag when using 4K vs 1440p.

I am sure TVs have this characteristic, so I assume monitors do too.

13. kasakka

kasakka [H]ard|Gawd

TVs used to have more variance in this but now most have the same input lag regardless of resolution, HDR vs SDR etc. I know full well what you mean because using 4K DSR on my 1440p display initially feels less responsive but that is caused largely by fps dropping from say 100 to around 60. Try changing refresh rate from 120+ Hz on the desktop to 60 Hz and you will see the same phenomenon.

14. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

This. The LG B8 has very consistent lag numbers:

upload_2019-9-12_11-20-7.png

And check out the Samsung Q80R - they actually measured slightly less lag at 4K than 1080p, lol:

upload_2019-9-12_11-21-4.png

Armenius likes this.
  15. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Within margin of error ;).

Lateralus likes this.
  16. Lateralus

Exactly, but it's not higher is the point I was getting at. :)

Like kasakka said, I think that phenomenon used to happen a lot with older TVs but they've gotten so much better, thankfully.

17. kasakka

kasakka [H]ard|Gawd

Exactly. My Samsung TV from 2016 adds about 15 ms of lag if you run its color at 4:4:4 and that is noticeable when piled over the 20ms lag it has in other modes.

18. kasakka

kasakka [H]ard|Gawd

Apparently the Shadow Boost setting on the XG438Q does...something.

Armenius and elvn like this.
  19. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

HDMI 2.1 also has something called quick frame transport which is coming to tvs.

I wasn't exactly sure what QFT did other than that it was supposed to lower input lag on hdmi 2.1 tvs. I'm learning more about it now. Apparently hdmi-VRR/free-sync/g-sync already does it so as long as your pipeline supports VRR of some sort you should have reduced input lag already.

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4064

20. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

Maybe that is making it better or was making it worse at default settings. Unfortunately this monitor lacks a sharpness control +/- like 43" 4k tvs have which could help, but it sounds like that shadowboost could be helping the edge rendering somehow (or hurting it at the "wrong" default settings).

21. shadow2761

shadow2761 [H]Lite

All good, you are correct.

I changed back to 4K res and put some graphics quality down in order to maintain the 115-120 fps and it felt very smooth and reslonsive, maybe even more so as if I was playing at 1440p with ultra quality.

Damm I love the clarity @ 4K. Can't believe I spent my first 10hrs playing PUBG with 1440p scaling on this monitor, it was blurry as hell and did not realise it until I switched back to the native 4K. lol

Armenius likes this.
  22. jadders

jadders n00b

How is the clarity of desktop text at native resolution? Can you change the cleartype aliasing to grayscale for testing to see if it helps with clarity- can you use this tool https://github.com/bp2008/BetterClearTypeTuner

23. AngryLobster

AngryLobster Clueless

In stock at Newegg for those in the USA. Just ordered.

Edit: and gone within 10 mins.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    Armenius likes this.
  24. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

People buying them up. A good maybe? Although I'm gonna guess its not gamers buying them so much as regular consumers.

25. AngryLobster

AngryLobster Clueless

What's the difference between a gamer and regular consumer?

26. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

I don't see non-gamers buying these. If you don't care about displayport enabling 120Hz and the gaming overdrive gains - a 43" 4k TV is just as good, better in some respects (higher contrast ratio, sharpness setting in OSD) for a fraction of the price at $230 - $370.

Personally I'm waiting on the reviews of the HDR1000 ones just in case there is are any small differences. Also to see what the prices are and if the price of this one goes down or on sale at some point. I think these are worth more like $800 - $850 + tax rather than $1100 - $1200 + tax. If they were FALD or mini LED FALD they'd be worth $2000 (or perhaps even more), if everything else was top notch.

Armenius and Lateralus like this.
  27. Lateralus

Same thoughts here. Skott why don't you think gamers are buying these, as highly anticipated as they've been? If I were a regular consumer, I'd have my pick of plenty of 43" TVs and monitors (LG 43UD79-B, Acer ET430K, Philips BDM4350UC) that aren't marketed specifically to gamers, are a fraction of the price and have been available for months now. Given that they sold through that batch so quickly, I'm pretty certain that they were snapped up by gamers eager for a fast refresh large gaming 4K monitor.

28. Sancus

Sancus Gawd

No "regular consumer" is buying any Asus product with gamer RGB bling on it lol, that's for sure. Not in a million years.

Armenius likes this.
  29. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

The RGB on this 43" monitor is basically a tiny flashlight you optionally snap in to the bottom of the monitor. It doesn't have any other RGB piping or ring lights, etc that I'm aware of. The only other thing different about it is the cut of the back of the chasis and the fake circuit board like texture on it or whatever but it's all the same colored plastic and the thin front bezel frame is very plain other than a tiny asus graphic logo with no text.

These are the upside down pictures I edited to show what it would look like flipped but it shows the chasis design.

EDIT-----
    It might have some lighting on the easy access side ports?

Techspot review

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 5:39 PM
  30. AngryLobster

AngryLobster Clueless

I think this is also a $800 display and it should drop in no time to that price range. The problem with every 43" TV is they are all smeary, use PWM, and have horrific uniformity (TCL S517). Samsung RU7100 leaves a finger long black trail behind moving windows/text.

The 43" "consumer" displays from LG and Acer are all IPS garbage so I'm not even going to start with that.

The real question is outside the people I know who buy high refresh rate displays for programming due to the smoothness, why would anyone in their right mind purchase this if they don't intend to game and how is that even a point of discussion.

They probably only had a dozen or 2 units. Microcenter told me they're suppose to be receiving shipments every week and a half but have gotten 0.

31. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

I mentioned the tvs as being something a non gamer would buy over these asus 43" displays that cost over $1000, I wasn't saying they compared to the gaming features of a gaming monitor. I use both of my 43" tvs as desktop/app/media playback monitors.

My TCL S405 and NU6900
    ---------------------------------------

-pwm is 120hz on both of these TVs which I have no problem with, in fact it seems to help desktop motion. The samsung's PWM doesn't kick in until lower brightness though so it's mainly the TCL. However I use a bunch of hotkeys in displayfusion to move windows around generally and size them so I'm not moving anything much on my 43" desktop/app monitors other than video playback/streaming and scrolling text. I don't game on my current 43" tvs-as-monitors so gaming performance isn't an issue.
    TCL S405
    NU6900
    - Uniformity. Actually pretty good compared to gaming VAs when viewed at the optimal viewing angle (like I have on a monitor arm). I get a tiny little trangle dark shadow in a few of the corners and if I do a white test image I can see a little bar of shadow on the edges but really insignificant in day to day usage even in file managers, web browsers, chat interfaces, etc., with lots of text and solid fields behind them.
    This is the uniformity image from rting.com's review of the TCL s405
    And this is the uniformity image from rtings.com's review of the NU6900

- Smearing: As I said, I use these as desktop/app monitors and I have zero issues with blur and smearing. They are 60hz so will never have that 120hz+ smooth motion definition feel either but I'm fine with that for my usage scenario as I said above.

- Overall. The screens are bright and the colors are pleasingly saturated. Text looks crisp with the ~ 102 ppi, contrast is over 4100:1 with the accompanying black depth.on the TCL and 6100:1 on the samsung NU6900. These both function great as general desktop/app use monitors and are way better than even my 3000:1 contrast 32" 1440p monitor when playing videos. The black depth difference is very noticeable.

----------------------

I was glad to learn in reviews that the XG438Q has about 1000 more native contrast and better accompanying black depth than my 32" LG, more like my 4100:1 TCL. It's local fimming allows it to go up from that considerably depending on the frame/scene.
    From the TFTcentral review of the XG348Q:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 10:13 PM
  32. AngryLobster

AngryLobster Clueless

Dude don't trust Rting's bogus uniformity scores. See the TV's in person and it's a vertical band/DSE nightmare. The NU6900/7100 I had was super splotchy all over the screen which their grey uniformity picture does a poor job in conveying. The S517 had thick vertical bands visible when panning in any game. I've lost track of how many 40/43 inch TV's I've returned for these uniformity problems. They are $300 for a reason.

Anyway, my XG438Q just arrived and I am so far extremely satisfied. BGR does not bother me at all from my seating distance. At the moment I'm running DisplayCal calibration and will test other stuff tonight but so far DSE is what I would call "low" using my go to DSE test (the game Vane).

33. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

"Dude"... :)

if you read my post you'd see I own both the TCL s405 and the samsung NU6900 and I run both at the same time on my desk. I am not just going by Rtings but ny my personal experience. I gave details in what I wrote as to what the uniformity looks like to me at the optimal viewing angle using solid fields of bright color test images to test them, and in my everyday usage with apps, text and mediaplayback when not using test images . I posted the rtings images to further show what I was talking about since they are indeed similar to what I see with test images. The rtings images are perhaps even worse. In regular usage the tiny dim corners are not an issue at all, and in normal usage any slim side shadow effect of uniformity along the bezel edge is usually undetectable unless using test images / very bright solid field wallpapers or really bending your eyes looking to notice it with other solid bright material. Even then it's such a small area that it's negligible.

The uniformity map of the asus XG438Q from tftcentral is actually a much darker cornered extents map than either of my tvs-as-monitors and worse even than my 32" Gk850G which is the worst uniformity/VA-shift of my three monitors.. - so I'd be curious how the XG438Q looks in person.

GK850G tftcentral map
    XG438Q tftcentral uniformity map
    The XG438Q has around a 3800 to 4000:1 contrast ratio like my tcl s405's 4100:1 .. but the asus can go even higher in hdr material to 7,000 to 10,000:1 depending on the scene so it could look good overall, especially primarily for gaming. My samsung is about 6100:1 contrast, and my 32" gaming monitor is only about 3000:1 but still a lot higher than non fald ips and tns.

If either of my tvs-as-monitors was a screwed up as you are claiming your models were I would have returned them to best buy. To be clear I am not using either of them for games at all. I would never use a 60hz display for gaming on a pc.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 7:29 PM
  34. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

Well us 'gamers' are a smaller segment compared to the average buyer. Those people who buy because they want to just watch tv and movies. So I'm thinking since we gamers are outnumbered generally speaking that more sales go to the average buyer. That's all. Now I could be totally wrong. I have no inside info on sales and who is buying what. Just using my own logic. Fuzzy as it can be at times. ;-)

35. AngryLobster

AngryLobster Clueless

Yeah so OD 5 is completely unusable. I have no idea why it's even included because it utterly destroys motion. Huge inverse/purple ghosting everywhere. Probably provided so that they can slap the 4ms label on the marketing material.

Good news is the Freesync implementation is basically flawless with my 2080 Ti. Testing pendulum demo to see how it behaves as it crosses under 48hz and there is no flicker or brightness change at all. Nvidia driver forces LFC very early as usual.

Using AC:Odyssey which is a Freesync flicker inducer due to the rough frame times in cities, no flicker either.

Those guys in the reddit thread suggesting shadow boost to correct text are insane. It raises the black level/gamma super high even at level 1 and makes blacks grey. Might as well have bought a TN panel at that point.

elvn likes this.
  36. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

Thanks for the info. I had my concerns on how the freesync would work compared to g-sync. And regarding the shadowboost effects overall - in that case you'd be much better off flipping it on some type of VESA mount than screwing with shadow boost if post clear type tuned BGR bothered you that much.

37. AngryLobster

AngryLobster Clueless

I can't get this thing calibrated correctly no matter what I try. My i1 measures 95.6% sRGB and only 83.2% DCI-P3 for some strange reason. Also like TFT, the reds are uncorrectable with a huge 5+ dE.

Here is the output report as well as a sample of how terrible OD 5 is with even the slightest movement of camera in game.

kasakka likes this.
  38. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

TFTCentral had trouble calibrating it too

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_strix_xg438q.htm#calibration

-------

Techspot https://www.techspot.com/review/1905-asus-rog-strix-xg438q/

39. hotdogee

hotdogee n00b

Text at 4K 100% scaling has a weird 1 pixel "shadow" under the text. Tried every setting in the OSD and cleartype, but was unable to make it go away. Ordered on the first day of release, ended up having to return it.